2002 lexus is300 how much would you spend on this one?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I've been thinking of buying one of these for a bit and came upon this one.
http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/3697217980.html

He's wanting to do $6800 but i just don't know how much one of these is worth.
Rebuilt title (front end collision that he said wasn't that bad but still makes me wonder whats underneath)
Needs tires
Interior is decent, some scuffs here and there, no ripped leather.
Other than that 110,000mi, 5 speed stick

What do you guys think?

gs2040215

May 13, 2012
Dallas Tx
I would say stay away from rebuilt/salvage titles, just because it usually means that the cost to repair it was more than the car was worth so that's not your average fender bender.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'd agree with the above poster. My car was t-boned about 10-12 years ago (wasn't mine at the time, but carfax tells you all sorts of interesting things, as does checking out a car REALLY thoroughly after you've bought it, d'oh!), and I'll just say this much:

Unless you intend for it to be a track only car, where it is likely to get banged into and beaten up from time to time anyway, stay away from cars that have been in any accident that caused mechanical or frame damage. Unless we're talking STUPIDLY cheap, and it's just throwaway money to you, then go for it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depending on the state, rebuilt titles can be different than salvage titles. Namely, it's certified to be 100% repaired. Look at what was actually repaired (as it appears he had it done, get receipts and ask the shop that did it)

I'd pick the car up if it was me if the repairs were to my satisfaction.

gs2040215

May 13, 2012
Dallas Tx
kbb price for a 2002 lexus is300 5 speed with 110,000 miles in good conditions is 7,800 and fair 6800.
The fact that if you buy this car and say you want to trade it in or sell it a couple of years from now it'll not be nothing near to the 6800 he is asking for it..
If time isn't a issue I would just wait it out for an unmolested car, but that's just me.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Ended up picking it up. I've never owned anything this nice:O Exterior is nearly perfect, interior is the same. I suspect its been repainted but they did a really good job.
muhh4z.jpg

My only annoyance is that with fly by wire and i'm guessing a heavy flywheel it takes much longer to shift gears smoothly and rev match. Other than that, three days in and i couldn't be happier.
Another thing, seems really low and it has yellow springs but the PO said that it was stock ride height what do you guys think?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If it's lowered, it's not by much. And the fly by wire system is extremely fast, so I'd say your issue is elsewhere.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I think its just a new car thing and in addition there is a definite delay whe pressing the gas but not any more than I've noticed in any fly by wire system. I don't think it will ever react as fast as the supra did.
Does anyone know of any good forum for these? Every one I go to is full of people who don't really know much about the car and there is a lot of speculation going on instead of hard facts.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Congrats! Welcome to the IS300 family..:D

The problem with the "laggy" feel is 3 things:

Fly by wire (which is still cable operated, incase the system fails)
clutch dampener (its on the hard line coming off the master cylinder, pop your hood and take a look)
On the gas pedal, there's a little spring and dampener that will cause lag.

The latter two can be fixed for cheap, the former takes a bit more and isn't really worth it unless you're hardcore.

Join us on My.Is for more info dude, and once again, congrats!