1JZ stock twin owners that blew their turbos...take a look

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I'm pretty positive that stock 1JZ twins finally took a shit on me. But, I wanted to make sure my symptoms match before I get another set.

-Won't boost, stays at zero (checked all IC piping and couplers, all is good)
-Smokes now (black smoke)

I did a thorough look at all angles on my engine bay and nothing looked bad. Only thing I did notice is an exhause leak now near the stock manifolds. But, I don't think it would be bad enough to not make any boost. Basically, I was getting on it in first coming out of Walmart and it got sideways, so I shifted into 2nd to have some "fun" and I heard a loud almost popping sound. Then a huge cloud of smoke came out. The engine still purrs and sounds great (minus the exhaust leak). There isn't any kind of missing or knocking or anything like that.

Please let me know if it sounds like they need to be replaced. Thanks for looking.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
doesn't sound like the normal oil seals went on your turbos. I've seen several sets actually break the turbine wheel completely off... I bet yours is that or something close.

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Couplers are all good. Checked everything. It smokes at startup, idle, and when I drive. But, it isn't pooring out or anything like a smoke screen. But, if one turbo shattered, would it make it so there is no boost?

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i'm sure it'd boost some but i dunno never had it happen to me.

only other thing i can think of is that the WG actuators BOTH busted their diaphrams. which i really really doubt

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
if a turbine wheel did shatter, would you have to take off the cat and empty out turbine wheel pieces or would something catch it sooner?

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
If it's not boosting anymore time to go single or get another set. My twins still boost like crazy even when it smokes a bit at idle not too bad though. Hope mine last till summer when I plan to go single.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
it would probably get caught up in the Cat.

i don't have a cat so mine would've just went all the way back to the muffler

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
we finished up another 1j 240sx 2 weeks ago and I love how them twins feel.
We had a dyno day this weekend and put his car up and 300rwhp @11psi.
I love them twins, they are a whole lot of fun, if you can manage to replace them then do so, if not it's single time and get ready to spend.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
AF1JZ;620584 said:
I fucking hate those stupid turbos.

time to go single!! i totally forgot about your build thread its kind of what got me rolling on my whole deal

edit: didn't you buy a single? never threw it on?

Last edited:

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
tissimo;970800 said:
If the wheel broke/shaft broke then there will be no boost at all.
That's what I wanted to hear (well, in a shitty luck kinda way, now the problem makes sense). Thank you.

tlo86;970803 said:
time to go single!! i totally forgot about your build thread its kind of what got me rolling on my whole deal

edit: didn't you buy a single? never threw it on?
Well, for now I'm going to be just replacing the twins. I do still have the turbo. But, there is a big possibility my mkiii supra and lexus might be for sale soon to pick up a different supra :D:D:D I just have to fix up a few things on the supra and get the damage fixed from my little wreck on the lexus (body shop is taking it on the 14th of April to fix it).

OneJoeZee;970841 said:
Sounds like the turbines bit the dust.
Thanks Joe. Confirms what tissimo said.
P.S. Any status on the trim that I bought from you? Just curious.

Thanks for the help guys.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Did you check the hose to your recirculating valve (stock BOV)? It still sounds like you have a boost leak to me.

When my twins went, they had white smoke when I let off the gas. Then, they started to sound like an underwater mammal when they spooled up. I stopped driving before any shafts or turbines blew up.