1JZ stock twin owners that blew their turbos...take a look

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Yup, I check the stock BOV too. It does sound wierd when I drive it though. It sounds like a boost leak, but there isn't one to be found. I guess my next step would be to do a vacuum test and see if anything is leaking. Too bad it's raining out and I don't have the coupler to do the test with.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
AF1JZ;970975 said:
Yup, I check the stock BOV too. It does sound wierd when I drive it though. It sounds like a boost leak, but there isn't one to be found. I guess my next step would be to do a vacuum test and see if anything is leaking. Too bad it's raining out and I don't have the coupler to do the test with.

yeah your symptoms sound very similiar to a local guy when he blew his twins on his rb26, same thing happened.. no boost, engine ran fine. his ceramic blades came out his exhaust though when it happened..

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I'm really not looking forward to taking those puppies off. I really want to get it fixed before the E-Town opener. But, I'd have to get a set sent asap and change them out asap since it is next weekend.

Thanks for all the help with my problem guys.

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
yah the black smoke.... to me still sounds like a boost leak some where and its running retardidddly rich. but anything is possible

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
I'm with IJ. Black smoke = running rich...usually meaning a boost leak. If the twins actually blew up, you'd be seeing white smoke...possibly blue as well.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
WeDgE;971386 said:
If the twins actually blew up, you'd be seeing white smoke...possibly blue as well.

Not necessarily if the turbine's just shattered off. Which has happened before with the 12As.

When I blew off couplers, I never had big amounts of black smoke. Just no power and no boost.

1J is MAP based. If there's a boost leak, then the MAP sensor is reading just as if he was off boost, is it not?

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I hope to god I have a boost leak. But, like I said before, I looked at every single coupler and vacuum line and didn't see anything. I'm going to do a vacuum test to find out for sure.

Twin 1jz

Aug 7, 2007
San Juan
AF1JZ;970758 said:
Couplers are all good. Checked everything. It smokes at startup, idle, and when I drive. But, it isn't pooring out or anything like a smoke screen. But, if one turbo shattered, would it make it so there is no boost?

Yes, this will happen.

xsjado

Engine bling!
Jul 15, 2007
Melbourne
When mine went it spat out a little bit of black smoke and then a wheel, which "apparently" was followed by a loud knocking noise from the turbo.

desmd99

Jun 27, 2007
selangor
AF1JZ,
I had exactly same problem as you described. I did all possible things like checking leaks, bov, wiring, map sensor... finally, I pulled out the twins, the turbo looks fine to me. I guess, I spent too much time diagnostic problems. Finally, I just throw in single turbo from skyline R33, simple and effective. R33 stock turbo is ballbearing type which means it should spools quicker. It started to boost at about 1600rpm and spool strong all the way, at 3500rpm I have ard 0.9bar and still going strong. I am just too "chicken" to go WOT, need to do tuning to make the car run fine.

Anyway, the only thing I didnt try was replacing the actuators. If you wanna give it another shot, try to replace the actuators. You need to replace both to make sure the turbo works together.