1jz single turbo help

Bobbyt5408

Aug 25, 2010
NEPA
Originally i planned on upgrading my 1jz single turbo swap and giving it a little giddy up!!! To do this i had purchased a mint greddy t88d off of a local for a killer price butttt as many of you informed me this was probably not the best turbo for what i was trying to do... getting to the point i decided to bag the whole t88 1jz idea...

First off the T88 is being set aside for my t100 2jz build :icon_bigg....But i decided to go with an holset hx35 with the hx40 kit its fully ported polished and ceramic coated.. Im hoping that i can get the power i want from this turob...

Does anyone have experience with the holset hx40 turbo's on the 1j's??? i Read a few threads about the hx35's but i want something a bit more...

The car made 458 wheel on 93 octane at 20 psi with its current setup but im looking to get at least 100 more HP to the wheel, to do this i planned on upgrading my fuel system once again to 850cc top feed injectors an additional inline walboro 255 pump to support the intank 255 walboro.....

As far as cams go can i see the number i want by using the 2jz cams and having them machined to fit the 1j head? or will i have to go with 264's?

this is what the car has now

Mines racing ECU with all the bells and whistels: Boost cut, Fuel Cut, Speed Cut. 750CC injectors. psi out of a .64 a/r turbo and more.

2jz map sensor

xs power single turbo manifold

3" I.C piping and xs power front mount

In tank walboro 255 w/ slosh tank (adding an inline 255)

New coil packs and ignitor

Full 3" exhaust

Im sure im missing stuff (its kinda late) haha.... but if im missing any key parts please let me know... now i know most of you are gonna say ditch the Mines ECU but i contacted mines and gave them the serial number and i was told that the ECU should eaisly handel 550+ hp... Im hoping that the upgraded cams and turbo should put the car up in the 500 area

Thanks Guys!!

Last edited:

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Bobbyt5408;1611892 said:
Probably gonna get greddy e manage ultimate. and idk about a AFPR any recomendations

IIRC, people have run into issues using EMU on the 1J.. AEM is probably your best bet for the money/functionality.

Bobbyt5408

Aug 25, 2010
NEPA
huh. well i got some reading to do thanks for the help guys much appreciated!!! but im still thinkin E manage i found a complete new setup wideband harness and boost sensor& harness for only 475!

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
Is it still stock clutch? Might be ok for a while but something to start thinking about because I'm sure you are going to want to turn up the boost.:icon_bigg
You don't need anything special for spark plugs especially at 8-10psi, ngk bkr7e's at .028 is generally recommended.

Bobbyt5408

Aug 25, 2010
NEPA
its stage 3... but idk how many of the stages are left lol... and e manage is that bad huh? i hear mixed things about it some people swear by it some don't... i know a few 240 guys running sr20's with the e manage and they love it.... and i know a guy runnin it in a wrx and he hates it... and all the honda kids i know love it but those are honda kids lol

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
I hope you are planning on fitting some huge cams and reving the motor to 8 or 9K to make this turbo worthy. I think you should put aside whatever deal you got on the turbo and consider if it's actually feasable or not.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
the EMU is a decent unit for many cars especially when one considers the price.. it may even work okay on the 7M or 2J, I didn't research those, but I definitely read some threads off other forums (google) about having issues with the 1J.

Intothenight19

Crissaegrim
Feb 23, 2006
Pa
It's a stock motor with a T88, it shouldn't take much to understand that it's not practical and very inefficient with a stock setup. I'd advise you to build the block/head + AEM before using that turbo. Then again, both statements are only my opinions :D

Bobbyt5408

Aug 25, 2010
NEPA
The motor will be built over winter, this is a fix cuase the 60 trim on the car is SHOT, so yes the motor will be built as well as the head. Im not to concerned, like i said i seen a DSM 2.0 liter spool it, im confident that i can make it work.... and the car already runs clear up to 8300RPM and i dont plan on going backwards...... i started to read the forums on the EMU and im seeing what your saying but i just dont have the money at the time to buy AEM and i dont feel like blowing my motor up cause i was incapable of tuning it so i think for now the EMU will work and again im only tryin to make about 10psi nothin crazy for now

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
seems like you in about it backwards. I'd get some 272 to help turn that monster. Along with some springs and retainers. Seems like it will cost more the you saved on your great deal. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

1 more thing what size exhaust housing ?

Last edited:

Intothenight19

Crissaegrim
Feb 23, 2006
Pa
As far as the DSM reference you are talking apples and oranges, like I stated before, unless done properly that turbo is overkill. I say scale down the turbo size to something more efficient that your motor can put to use and you are set. Good luck nonetheless...

Bobbyt5408

Aug 25, 2010
NEPA
well if it doesn't work its as easy as replacing the turbo.... everything else will be there and how many of you tried it? or know someone who has??? if none of you have or known someone who had then apparently i have no choice but to try it....

I'm hearing everyone's advice and i'm taking it into consideration but the fact is that i have the turbo and I'm gonna try it and if it doesn't work then i know why and i know what i have to do... but i have to try.

this is prob a foolish question... if i chose to run the Greddy Emanage i still need an ECU right? now i have a Mines ecu in the car does anyone know if they are compatible??

Im also planning on doing a complete build over the winter being as in PA a rwd turbo car is impossible to drive.... and ill need something to keep me occupied through the season..

And hey Intothenight19 where in PA are you from?????!!!

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Oh its 22cm exhaust housing....and what turbo size would you guys all recommend? Maybe i should start a thread to sell that t88 lol

Bobbyt5408

Aug 25, 2010
NEPA
here is a pic of the turbo..... purchased from Orlando motor sports, was ran in a Rx7 for a short time

Attachments

• turbo..jpg
    turbo..jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 20