1jz single turbo help

Intothenight19

Crissaegrim
Feb 23, 2006
Pa
Outside of Philly, don't get offended by my advice. I'm just stating what I'm sure 90% of others would, bigger doesn't always mean better. Efficiency is the key and a T88 is way out of range, but with a proper setup motor/fuel/ems you could pull it off. Best of luck to you..

Edit: To answer your question about the Mines ecu, they are programmed specific to the setup so I'm pretty certain you are going to need another ecu to use your e-manage. My advice, set your T88 aside and go with something more practical until you piece everything together. Look into what other guys are running on their 1j's as depending on your goals the options vary significantly. And yes PA winters are brutal when it comes to anything rwd!

Bobbyt5408

Aug 25, 2010
NEPA
Im not offended at all, and yeah.... i gotta find a different turbo though cause the one on my car is shot, the t88 was more of a convenience to me, and im a compulsive buyer i guess lol... it cant hurt to try though... but i do understand what your saying and im gonna get back in the market for a more suitable turbo. I am gonna try the t88 so ill let everyone know how it goes for future experiences haha... and i think i might try the Stinger EMS seems reasonable and packed with features

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
you can probably sell that T88 to a 1.5J or 2J owner.. they tend to have better results with them, it's still a journal bearing turbo though.

contact Driftmotion if you're interested in Stinger EMS.

Bobbyt5408

Aug 25, 2010
NEPA
I already did contact them and im debating.... and im prob gonna post that thing for sale, journal bearing turbos are easier and cheaper to rebuild thought so thats a plus

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
A 1J will spin both turbos.. but a journal bearing T04z isn't much better, it's just a really large turbo.

I'm sure you knew that before you purchased it and don't mind the extra lag.

this isn't in regard to supras or even JZ motors, but it's a good read IMO: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/108242-g...cussion-just-post-thread-create-database.html

that thread is based on the RB26 (2.6L motor), and you can see folks saying around 5k for full boost using the T04z.. the T88 is even larger IIRC (but there's a few different variations: T88-33D/34D/34GK and probably a bunch of others)

Last edited:

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
It's not much bigger then my 60-1. I'll post a pic of them side by side. I'm gonna see how she does. Im not planning on keeping this car forever. I'm gonna 2j a 87 that I picked up.

Bobbyt5408

Aug 25, 2010
NEPA
I'm gonna go ahead and order and install all The supporting mods I'm gonna need for a bigger turbo before I install anything else and by the. If I didn't get a new turbo or rebuild the one I have the t88 will go on for expiamental reasons lol

Intothenight19

Crissaegrim
Feb 23, 2006
Pa
<<T04r here :biglaugh:...Same as the T04z minus the anti-surge housing, not a Jz owner but it gets the job done!

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Left side is the 60-1, right is the Driftmotion 67mm (TO4Z)Turbo. I spun the 60-1 with no problem. I think with the upgrade in cams i should do ok with the new turbo.

p1613356_1.jpg

Bobbyt5408

Aug 25, 2010
NEPA
damn those are nice!!! i gotta see what im gonna do

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

the parts are starting to come in so weil see how it comes together as i go

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I didn't see any answers to your original fuel system question... so here goes...

You need either the MKIV TT fuel injector resistor pack, or the MKII 7MGTE resistor pack to run those high impedance injectors (using the stock 1JZ ecu with a piggyback anyway).

If you still have the stock fuel pump in the car, an upgraded pump is a good idea, even at low boost. An old stock pump probably isn't flowing what it should, let alone what you'll need it to.

If you plan on using that huge turbo or those huge injectors anywhere near their full potential, you will definitely need a bigger pump, regulator, and lines.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
1000cc is to large of an injector set especially for the factory side feed rail.

Get top feed rail with 700-800cc injectors max I dont think you will make 1000whp 1JZ for 1000cc optimum.

Thats 20% better resolution better fuel control will give you better idle and economy.

Stinger is a cheap ecu good one for the price but going with a huge setup with huge hp numbers you may want a sequential standalone.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
S.A. supra;1613356 said:
Left side is the 60-1, right is the Driftmotion 67mm (TO4Z)Turbo. I spun the 60-1 with no problem. I think with the upgrade in cams i should do ok with the new turbo.

p1613591_1.jpg

if looking at turbos side by side said anything about their performance/abilities, one would not need to do research.. The difference between those two turbos is significant.

however, lag means something different to each individual regardless if one wants to believe that a certain amount is commonly accepted as a little or a lot. there's a great possibility that you will have zero issues with running that turbo.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
look into mapecu, or mapecu2 if you want timing control. it does everything the emu does without having to buy a stupid harness/sensor for everything it claims it does.
its still a piggy back, but its one of the best and if youve been on supraforums, youll know its one of the most popular setups. a general rule is you dont want to go 2x your stock injector size unless youre planning on going full standalone.
also you wont be able to increase your redline with a piggy back.

You can run your mines ecu+ piggy back but without knowing what the mines is setup for youre gonna be trying to guess at everything.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Dylan JZ;1613591 said:
if looking at turbos side by side said anything about their performance/abilities, one would not need to do research.. The difference between those two turbos is significant.

however, lag means something different to each individual regardless if one wants to believe that a certain amount is commonly accepted as a little or a lot. there's a great possibility that you will have zero issues with running that turbo.

You must run twins. If not what turbo do you run? Have you been in a single turbo 1jz?

I'll put it together and throw a video up. So others to see what my setup is like on a 1j, and can gauge for them selfs. I could of ordered another 60-1, But went bigger and I am HOPING that the upgraded cams help out. I might go bigger injectors and stand alone. I don't know if I want to spend that much on a car that I'm not gonna keep. That money could go toward my 2jz swap.

Rockpapersword..... Haven't seen your car since last year. Are you gonna make it out to the Austin meet this fall?

Bobbyt5408

Aug 25, 2010
NEPA
Update..... gonna get rid of the T88 for an hx35 cummins turbo with the 40 compressor wheel, also gettin 750cc top feed injectors with the 7m resistor pack...... and until im 100% about a tune im gonna just run the mines and keep a good eye on the wideband. Once i figure out that part of the equation im gonna up the boost and see what i can make of her :) also a buddy of mine is selling me a walbro 255 pump brand new in box for 50 bucks so im gonna run that, and im currently in the markget for a FPR. Oh and i also finally found spark plugs!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSS hahaha

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
sounds like a good idea.. though if you use those 750's, you're going to need to manage fuel somehow. normally I'd recommend an AFC, but 750's are too large for that IMO.

Bobbyt5408

Aug 25, 2010
NEPA
well the 750's weill only act like whatever the computer has them programmed as

thats how it was with hondata when i tuned my civic back in the day.. i had 500cc injecturs but they were tuned to only 400