1996 Mystic Cobra mini-build

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
So, I picked up my bone stock Mystic about a month ago, few kills and one loss so far... :mj: Supra I just bought is most likely going up for sale next week to fund Snake build, loss made me REAL mad. I don't really know why, I had originally intended to leave the Cobra stock as a nice, reliable, quick DD and I bought the Supra specifically for go-fast. Oh well.

I was on my way back from lunch and ran into my buddy with a 96 Cobra with I/E/4.30s/UDPs. We ran twice, once from a dig and once from a 40ish roll. I got him both times, by about half a car from a dig and by a car or more from the roll. Driver mod FTW? Raced his car again later, three or four more times from a dig and thrice more from a 35 roll. Driver was MUCH better than him, got me by about a car from a dig until around 70 when I'd start catching him. Ate him alive from every roll (first gear every time, stock gears are HILARIOUS. 3.27s). Needless to say, the kid was PISSED. He bought a nitrous kit and ended up selling the car before we could run again.

After the first two of those races, just a few miles down the road, I had some douche in a 96-98 V6 with an autozone turbo badge on the bumper fly by me. Obviously you all know how that went, just thought I'd throw this in here for laughs.

Raced one of my old Supras, an 89 turbo targa 5 speed with a full 3" and a boost controller. He was pegging 12PSI and dropping to 6 pretty quick, didn't go well for him. Haven't ran him since I fixed it, but all three of the first races were 200+ yards by 100... Still think I can out run him, rematch in the near future :biglaugh:

Cruising up to Indy (big car scene on the south side) I ran into a boosted Civic hatch (92-95) on the highway. Went from a 50 roll, I didn't know he was boosted in the first run so I just put it in fourth, he pulled about a car and a half on me. Next three runs were on the interstate, 65ish rolls in second. Pulled about two cars on him, maybe a little more. Last run was about ten minutes later, his turbo was significantly louder and he only lost by about half a car. He was breaking up pretty bad, though. I think he cranked the boost up and didn't have the spark to get the job done. Didn't bother stopping to find out mods.

RX8. 20 roll. Nuff said.

And finally, the loss. I ran a boosted old ass Civic hatch from a dig. Ran away from him til about 60 and then he BLEW past me still spinning. Turns out he had a decent sized turbo, but he gave me the usual ricer T3/T4 hybrid shit answer when I asked him about it later. He was pretty surprised and didn't believe my car was stock... Guess he didn't see the Snake on the side? :D

The loss made me pretty angry, so I'm looking at selling my Supra and buying gears, bolt ons and a nitrous set up and using the rest of the money to repaint my bumpers (typical clear fade). Not too sure how my stock motor will like a 200 shot, though. 80k babied original motor, and judging by the carbon that shot out the first 10-15 times I went WOT, probably hadn't seen 3k before I bought it. Pretty clean car overall, here are some pics. I have a few more on my other PC if anyone cares. 18" Anthracite FR500s coming soon. Sorry for the long post, enjoy.

p1313034_1.jpg

p1313034_2.jpg

p1313034_3.jpg

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Not at all. I paid $7500 for it, which was pretty high at the time (two laser red 97s for 6k with similar mileage and condition, one was lowered with chrome Cobra Rs, and there was a 1.7L KB blown 96 for $7200), but the car was exactly what I wanted. Bone stock, never messed with by some dumb redneck, in near mint condition with low miles.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
Why are you gonna tear up a nice, rare car like that? Keep that one as your nice car and buy something else as your "race" car if you don't like the Supra.

Just my opinion. I've learned to keep my nice cars comfortable and reliable with a little quickness, and only tear apart and heavily mod my dedicated racey cars, always works out better that way.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
JPsToyota;1313613 said:
Why are you gonna tear up a nice, rare car like that? Keep that one as your nice car and buy something else as your "race" car if you don't like the Supra.

Just my opinion. I've learned to keep my nice cars comfortable and reliable with a little quickness, and only tear apart and heavily mod my dedicated racey cars, always works out better that way.

That's what I'm doing, at least for now. I may end up getting rid of it for a Term next year after MOS school, or I may do a Term swap, or build a 5.4 or the new 5.0 and Whipple it, I dunno. Way too many options open right now. The Cobra is pretty nice right now, but it's got quite a few little things that are gonna get bad (mostly talking clear coat issues) real fast if I don't take care of them now, and that's where most of the money will probably go (fucking $1800 a gallon paint). But, it's not fast enough, either. I should be able to hit 11s all day with the set up I've got in mind. Hellion kit is so tempting... Another loan for roughly the value of the car? lol

IndyMK3

I Hate Godzilla Too!!!!
May 15, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
ur car is confused on what color it is.... its like im green .... wait purple... wait turd brown .... ummm turd brown :1zhelp: lol jk quin... do what you want man... i love ur seats tho...

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
Quin;1313687 said:
That's what I'm doing, at least for now. I may end up getting rid of it for a Term next year after MOS school, or I may do a Term swap, or build a 5.4 or the new 5.0 and Whipple it, I dunno. Way too many options open right now. The Cobra is pretty nice right now, but it's got quite a few little things that are gonna get bad (mostly talking clear coat issues) real fast if I don't take care of them now, and that's where most of the money will probably go (fucking $1800 a gallon paint). But, it's not fast enough, either. I should be able to hit 11s all day with the set up I've got in mind. Hellion kit is so tempting... Another loan for roughly the value of the car? lol

Wait, are you planning a full body respray, or just want the bumpers taken care off? Can't see it costing more than a couple hundred to have the bumpers resprayed, and are you sure they even need a respray? A Saturday afternoon sanding and buffing might bring it back pretty well, if not make it look significantly better.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Little update. Ended up getting Chrome Cobra Rs instead of the FR500s, and those are getting replaced this weekend. I'm putting in an aluminum Terminator flywheel, King Cobra clutch kit for an 03-04, Steeda Quick Release Quadrant, UPR Firewall Adjuster, UPR Pedal Stop Kit (lowers the clutch pedal to just a hair higher than the brake), LDC Clutch Pedal Freeplay mod and either a catted Bassani X-Pipe or an O/R Mac H-Pipe. Car might get lowered soon, too.

Sil;1313980 said:
Wait, are you planning a full body respray, or just want the bumpers taken care off? Can't see it costing more than a couple hundred to have the bumpers resprayed, and are you sure they even need a respray? A Saturday afternoon sanding and buffing might bring it back pretty well, if not make it look significantly better.

Sorry for the very delayed response, but the bumpers definitely need painted. The clear coat is completely gone on the rear and in places on both bumpers the paint is gone. I might be able to do something to hide it, but both need painted sooner rather than later.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
foreverpsycotic;1425950 said:
I hate the king cobra feel, spec stage 3+ feels much better and handles more power.

I've only checked one out in person, and I wasn't too impressed. Think it might have been the quadrant more than the clutch/PP itself, though. However, I did like my Spec Stage 3+ in my first Supra. I guess this isn't a King Cobra clutch, it's the OEM setup out of an 03 Cobra. It held 500+ ft/lbs with no issues, so it should be more than enough for my car... That's probably more than this T45 will hold, anyway.

Surprise, apparently my transmission was rebuilt in November 01 and somebody did some upgrades, the synchros at least. Transmission looks brand new on the inside, which is promising. Fluid looked fresh, too.

Just have to get some new bolts to hold the pressure plate to the flywheel and I'm good to go. Put the quadrant, pedal stop and firewall adjuster in today. Clutch pedal sits maybe 1/2" above the brake now. I took my Tri-Ax apart, cleaned it, re-greased it and reassembled it. Took the bell housing off, knocked the old tob sleeve out and tapped the new one in, then reassembled. Painted the plate in between the flywheel/bh and block (not really sure what it's called) because it looked like ass. Painted the clutch fork cover too. Can't really do anything else without the bolts, so I just cleaned the engine bay a little bit. Still looks like ass, think I'm just gonna have to pressure wash it.

Did you do a 5 spd swap? For some reason I thought your car was auto.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Quin;1426109 said:
I've only checked one out in person, and I wasn't too impressed. Think it might have been the quadrant more than the clutch/PP itself, though. However, I did like my Spec Stage 3+ in my first Supra. I guess this isn't a King Cobra clutch, it's the OEM setup out of an 03 Cobra. It held 500+ ft/lbs with no issues, so it should be more than enough for my car... That's probably more than this T45 will hold, anyway.

Did you do a 5 spd swap? For some reason I thought your car was auto.

Boostinsupragirls old car had a TKO with a king cobra clutch kit, and it felt like garbage. My friends nitrous carbed 351 and my other friends twin t70 302 (based) both felt rather good with the stage 3+ (feels like a stage one, holds retarded power, both cars made almost 600tq and are beaten frequently)
The supra has always been a r154 car, but if I go with a bigger turbo, a manual valve body th350 is going in.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
foreverpsycotic;1426272 said:
Boostinsupragirls old car had a TKO with a king cobra clutch kit, and it felt like garbage. My friends nitrous carbed 351 and my other friends twin t70 302 (based) both felt rather good with the stage 3+ (feels like a stage one, holds retarded power, both cars made almost 600tq and are beaten frequently)
The supra has always been a r154 car, but if I go with a bigger turbo, a manual valve body th350 is going in.

Guess I'm just losing my mind, lol. Speaking of lol, like the avatar.

03-04 clutches are kinda heavy but not much worse than my stock one, at least I don't think they are. I prefer a heavy pedal anyway. Went and bought my pressure plate bolts a few minutes ago, so I guess I'll find out tonight!

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Update. Car is back together and running great. Bought some 94/95 Cobra wheels to replace my failsauce 95 Rs. I'll post pics later this week when I get my other three center caps lol.

Couple new kills, 02 WS6, 94 TT Supra that pwnt his clutch, a notch with ported heads, little cam, Cobra intake, 75mm tb, cai, long tubes, o/r h, 4.10s, maybe some other stuff, got drug by a few Subarus. I tried to race a Cobalt SS with a built bottom end, bolt ons and a pulley (20PSI). Unfortunately, my firewall adjuster broke loose and I couldn't shift at high RPM. Adjusted it back out later that night and good to go now.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Update number two: FUCK MY LIFE! Rear main seal went out today. Just can't win... Anyone want a Mustang? lol