1987 chrysler conquest

Justin727

T-virus infected
Well I have a chance to pick up a Conquest TSI wide body for a reasonable price. The only thing I know wrong with it is that is has blown turbo, im betting the shaft was bouncing around and the compressor side blades hit and bam they're no longer in there and probably in the IC...
Well they bypassed the turbo and it will crank and run without in n/a mode ha!
It of course has HG problems like the 7m and the damned balance shaft that you can get a delete kit for 13.00.. Heck you can get a MHG for these cars for 60.00!! They seem to be cheaper to build engine wise then the supe but of course its a 4 cylinder too. The only other thing I do not like about the car is that it has TBI and of course afm...
But its clean inside and out...

Silver with maroon leather interior no crackes in the driver seat!

Justin727

T-virus infected
i believe he is refering to the eclipse 4g, yes.

rod knock would be caused by poppin hg like the 7m
or bad balance shaft that can be removed.

i've found some good aftermarket support and these things are cheaper to build a bullet proof block! Even have Copper self sealing head gaskets made for it. But I've been searching alot this evening.

They have a guy thats the RonR of the starquest world that builds manifolds, FFIM that convert to FI to get rid of the TBI and so on.

Seems with their age if you start pushing higher hp numbers such as 300+ or more they tear up half shafts..

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
ahem, the 4g was not available in the U.S. The american conquest comes w/ that bigass 4 banger and ya, had no aftermarket. I was going to pick one up in pristine condition but the timing chain was really fukin stretched out on it and it just comes w/ too many gremlins.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
supposedly it should fit, but it doesn't as the intake and exhaust are on the wrong side, ect... last I knew, nobody had done it

I know where one is for $500 that's not in horrible shape, but finding parts for them is worse than trying to find parts for a subaru brat...

Justin727

T-virus infected
I've came across a site that has alot of stock/aftermarket support at very reasonable price and this old fellow is what the starquest guys highly recomend.

Personally I'm not building a 500hp monster. Thats what the supra is for.
A mild 300-350 is just fine for me in a 2800lbs car!

there are a good bit of nicely built starquest's on their forum. I like the lil car because its so 80's and looks really well!

also there are about 3 cars on their forum i've seen with the 4g in it

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I've got an 86 in awesome shape I'm wanting to sell. 1 tiny spot of rust and the interior is awesome. :icon_bigg It does need paint and a rebuild, however.

The engine in it got RK because when the owner put the oil silter on they popped the seam and oil leaked out everywhere when they were driving. I thought it was funny... funny because I wondered how tight they thought it had to be on.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
7m always started for me.
My friend and I put one back together after a hg change, good thing we had the service manual and electrical manual as well. However after everything was back together and checked out according to the specs the car would never start again.
Would crank but never could get it to turn over. All of the problems started with an overheat.
Overheated once and never ran again. Honestly it was a decent car but I did not like the engine much at all.

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
These are great cars. I've owned one for 7 years now. Great daily driver. Watch out for overheating and cracked heads. TBI makes it not worth it to upgrade.

p752250_1.jpg

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
I had an '88 ESI-R. They're ok cars, but the engine design is crap IMO and there is very little aftermarket.

I probably would have put a 4G in there if I still had it.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Oh yea, Justin. Figure I'd expand on that air jet thing.
The engine head contains, "air jets", that are made of copper or some other material that expands and contracts at a different rate than the aluminum head and causes the head to crack when it cools. They are placed in the center of the head right near the spark plugs. There is another head you can get that does not contain the air jets. Search on the conquest forums and you should be able to find one pretty easy.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I liked them when they were new, and test drove one then, almost bought it actually. (It was 16k new..IIRC.)

My brother had a perfect red one. It even still had the radio/HVAC controls in good shape. (If you know about these cars, those tend to wear out pretty quickly, and look like shit in a few years of use. Much like the pre-89 HVAC control unit on our MK3 Supra.)

I also have a buddy from High School who was bigtime into these for years. He did a build on one, removed the counter balancer, head work, new manifold and port injection, stand alone and other stuff. Ran quite well on a T3/T4 setup. He never said he chassis dyno'd it, but I'd guess it was making nearly 400hp. No traction in the lower gears, and it was pretty dang quick everywhere else.

He sold it a few years ago IIRC, and it was due to overheating, and some problems he could never resolve after that... He did not want to build another motor for it, so he sold it at a huge loss, and bought a F-150, lowered it and put a mondo stereo setup in the truck. (That was another problem with the TSI, it was limited on how much stereo he could put into it... Life/music for him starts at 10 subwoofers... LOL)

I always thought this car was a good subsitute for a Porsche 944 on a budget. (Then my Dad bought the 944, and really, it's a good car, but no 944... LOL The 944 needed more power, but it was a awesome handling car, and pretty quick for being a NA 4cyc. )

What I'd be tempted to pick up is a newer 944 turbo with the 16 valve engine. Those were nearly 300hp stock, and with some mods, should be a nice DD car, with a pretty low profile to most people.