$150 bet for me to run 13.5, need advice

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
7Mboost;1281378 said:
Your question, does you car have enough power to do a 13.5? Yes, especially with DR's. But I won't guarantee anything with Supra owners and the track, most simply suck to worst degree. This SHOULD be an easy bet to win if you can simply get off the line better than a 2.1 60ft. (which I did on dry-rotted street tires in my FWD DSM with only free mods)

BTW, tell your friend he's a poor driver because he's an idiot if he thinks he couldn't run better than 13.5 on a t67 (BTW what was his trap on those runs), unless he cheaped out and ran 6psi on stock injectors with bullshit piggyback tuning. (SAFC probably...)

nah maybe he was a bad driver then, but no he didnt half ass anything,

he now has a built 2j, t78 in a lexus sc400, 5spd, running 11.4 on drag radials only on the wastegate

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
suprafanatic;1281402 said:
That intercooler sprayer you were talking about will help you some.. but its not going to be much help in hitting a 13.5. You should seriously just get some drag radials, and take out what ever weight you can and go

my only concern with that is drag radials and im still on the w58, i kno i kno i kno, i need to get an r154, this summer

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Technicaly your car can run a 13.5... But can the driver run a 13.5 ;) I remember going to the drag strip and watching a near 700hp MK4 consistantly run 14s high 13s... obviously his car was capable of running in the 10s, but the driver himself was not... On the other hand i'v seen near stock MK3's run some increadible times on the strip because of the driver. I still think since you are new to the strip one of the best things you can do to help yourself out is get some sticky tires

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
queenskid926;1281416 said:
nah maybe he was a bad driver then, but no he didnt half ass anything,

he now has a built 2j, t78 in a lexus sc400, 5spd, running 11.4 on drag radials only on the wastegate

I know him from SF, he said he went through something like five 7M's and that's why he went JZ, by then he may have finally got it right, a properly built 7M won't "blow up", even if it comes down to poor machine work that's builder's error, imo.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
7Mboost;1281657 said:
I know him from SF, he said he went through something like five 7M's and that's why he went JZ, by then he may have finally got it right, a properly built 7M won't "blow up", even if it comes down to poor machine work that's builder's error, imo.

Yup, sounds like he really didn't know what he was doing

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
suprafanatic;1281793 said:
Yup, sounds like he really didn't know what he was doing

yea the 1rst 7ms just blew up because they were stock, then last 2 where due to machine shop error, they didnt bore the block correct, it wasnt the same bore all the way down the cylinder walls, it actually got smaller, and he would assemble the motor, start it up, it would run for 5 or 10 minutes then 5 out of the 6 pistons would break. he took it back to the machine shop that did the work and they kept accusing him of running a big shot of nitrous to break the pistons, this happens again and then he took it to a diff machine shop and they told him wat the problem was, but by then he was fed up and just went 2j lol

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
lol, stupid machine shop gezz.. but ya there is nothing wrong with a properly built 7M, I absolutly love mine. Dont think i'll ever go with the 2J swap in my mk3.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Recirculate your blow off valve so as to provent any stumbling or misfiring from the rich condition between shifts... most ECU's are finicky about that and don't run very well without the recirculated BOV. I've heard of a few that don't have any problem at all, but those are rare.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
He should have checked the machine shop's work, so yeah, I'd say he screwed up as well ;)

I didn't cut 7MBoost any slack when I told him that the machine shop put the wrong bearings in his bottom end, did I?

In the end, it is YOUR car, and YOUR responsibility. I get really tired of people pawning responsibility off unnecessarily on others. :3d_frown:

OP - Strip all the weight you can off the car. Seats + front bumper support will shed almost 150lbs.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Good insurance would be to get ahold of a Performance Box or even a Gtech and see what kind of times you putting out.

And I'm gonna take responsibility for putting the wrong size bearings in my car because I really should've researched more and blueprinted my engine.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Im fairly certain you will hit 13.5's no problem.. I ran a 14.2 with a full weight 5 speed on 245 falken 912's, stock ct26 at 9lbs.

No weight reduction, half tank of gas and my clutch was slipping bad thru 1st gear. Car weighed a tick under 3800lbs with me in it that time.

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
The only problem I see that you'll have is keeping that wheel spin under control. I know I had that problem back in the day with the 4.3 diff. 1st and 2nd gear was a spinning smoke fest! Although it was cool, it certainly didn't help my times. :cry:

Way back in the day I could barely beat a stock 5spd '94 Honda Accord 2 door with all that wheel spin. Haha, but I believe most of it was also due to my lack of skill.

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
LordLo;1285351 said:
The only problem I see that you'll have is keeping that wheel spin under control. I know I had that problem back in the day with the 4.3 diff. 1st and 2nd gear was a spinning smoke fest! Although it was cool, it certainly didn't help my times. :cry:

Way back in the day I could barely beat a stock 5spd '94 Honda Accord 2 door with all that wheel spin. Haha, but I believe most of it was also due to my lack of skill.

ive now change to some 265 tires in the rear, wheel spin in 2nd shouldnt happen, well i hope not lol

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
265's are a fairly good size, however, the biggest factor in traction is the compound of the tire, not neccesarily the width of the tire. for example, you could have drag radials that are 205's but they can still hook better than street tires that are 285's.

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
suprafanatic;1285818 said:
265's are a fairly good size, however, the biggest factor in traction is the compound of the tire, not neccesarily the width of the tire. for example, you could have drag radials that are 205's but they can still hook better than street tires that are 285's.

ok well i have no one to borrow offcial drag radials off of, The only person that i could, he has mt et drag radial on 2j twin turbo rims is the guy im making the bet with lol. So my options for tires are either:
17" mustang cobra rims with 245/45/17 nitto 555 extreme street radial
18" a little bit heavier rim with 265/35/18 Pirelli PZero Rosso N4.

So the 18's have wider rubber, but i kno that come with the price of them being heavier.

Dam its April 1rst now, 24 more days to go.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I hook a 245 kumho on the street from a 4200rpm launch. BPU 1jz. Its all in the fade of the clutch. You DO NOT want to just drop it. Smelling a little clutch at the end of a run is not always a bad thing.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Radials, drop the pressure, don't do the world's biggest burnout just get em' hot, and I'd say dump it at 4k for the first pass and it SHOULD hook (I wouldn't recommend this on ST obviously), just hope your drivetrain is all in check, should be good for one 13.5 run.