$150 bet for me to run 13.5, need advice

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I highly suggest you find your local dragstrip, and get to practicing launching & rowing through those gears. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&u...&oi=local_group&resnum=4&ct=more-results&cd=1

Just go on a test & tune night and see what you can run. Then go from there. You have about a month to at least hit a 14.00 or quicker.

I remember when I was at the modification level you are currently at I was running a consistant 14.20's @ 98mph. One cold winter day I ran 14.10's @ 101mph. I usually hit about a 2.0 - 2.1 short times on street tires. The following spring I went to the strip again running low 14's as usual. Toward the end of the night my friend lent me his MT ET Slicks to make one last pass. I did a 1.8 sixty foot, and ended up running 13.9X@99mph. I missed third gear on that pass too. I wanted to run again, but the track was closing down. At that time my mods were:

Stock CT26 at 10-11psi... stock elbow too.
Bosch BOV
Drop in K&N filter in stock air box
R154 3.73's Autozone cheapie clutch set.
MSD spark plug wires
Cartech 2.5" downpipe
2.5" test pipe.
HKS 85mm catback with twin tip muffler.
Of course those Mickey Thompsons
That's it.

Is he going to let you run as many passes as it takes? Or is he just going to count the first pass you make?? I would get some practice in if I were you.

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
as many passes , car runs great new plugs, and i just turned the boost up to confirm that it will hit 14lbs and it does no problem, but the usual ct26 creep back down to 12 near redline.

I can def feel the difference tho from 10lbs of boost to 14lbs, with the 4.30's 2nd gear is a spin fest just like 1rst, god i hope this w58 holds up lol

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
Me and my friend wolf on here decided to do a lil sneaky early trip to the track 2 weeks in advance to get some runs and practice in. I will do these runs just on how the car is up be4 swapping to his nitto's and turning the boost up further, I'm curious to see what times I can get out of it now as it is. Then when I swap over the parts, see what the 1/4 and mph difference they make. I have faith in my gas killing 4.30 lsd can let me post some good times on the track.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
1) Borrow some slicks.
2) Rid your car of heat soak
(A spray bottle of rubbing alcohol in the staging lanes works wonders) :)
3) Practice, practice, practice.
Find YOUR sweet spot with launching.

Orrrr, if you're Auto, just lock and load. :D
My old 7M setup with a stock CT26 @ 10PSI did 13.76 @ 105MPH. ;)

Good luck...
Jeff

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
Boost Lee;1280924 said:
1) Borrow some slicks.
2) Rid your car of heat soak
(A spray bottle of rubbing alcohol in the staging lanes works wonders) :)
3) Practice, practice, practice.
Find YOUR sweet spot with launching.

Orrrr, if you're Auto, just lock and load. :D
My old 7M setup with a stock CT26 @ 10PSI did 13.76 @ 105MPH. ;)

Good luck...
Jeff

Was that time u ran on an auto or 5spd? And was that on drag radials?
Also what does spraying rubbing alcholol do?

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
It super cools whatever you spray it on, so like he said spray it on your intercooler, piping, even your radiator to get the heat away.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Go in the bathroom, grab the bottle of rubbing alcohol.
Rub some on your arm and blow on it.
Tell me what it feels like. ;)

Heat is a big killer. I've been using the same bottle for alcohol literally 4-5 years now.
Dyno pulls, Drag strip, etc. It works wonders.

13.76 was with an AT, and street tires (sawblades, at that). :)

Jeff

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
running a 13.5 or lower with your current set up will be will be tough to do. Especialy if you'v never really been to a track before. I'v ran at the track alot in the past with my OLD set up.. I had a 60-1 CT upgrade, 550s, lex, safc, 2.5 IC pipes, spearco IC. and alot of other things.. My car is also a 5 speed. My best time was a 14.1 at like 101mph. This was at 20~PSI. I was on street tires and couldnt hook up though. I can tell you just as alot of other people have so far, Your Launch is where it counts. If you cant hook up you wont run a 13.5 on your set up. You can practice launching on the street but that will only help so much, the track is completly different to launch on. So get your launch down, down miss any gears, and hope for the best! I think someone else mentioned it already,, you could get a cheap Nitrous kit and you'll probably run the 13.5 and the $150 will pay for just about the whole kit!! hhaha.. I dont suggest nitrous but if you want to win the bet it is an option. Whatever you do good luck! and i cant wait to hear how it ends up.

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
suprafanatic;1281014 said:
running a 13.5 or lower with your current set up will be will be tough to do. Especialy if you'v never really been to a track before. I'v ran at the track alot in the past with my OLD set up.. I had a 60-1 CT upgrade, 550s, lex, safc, 2.5 IC pipes, spearco IC. and alot of other things.. My car is also a 5 speed. My best time was a 14.1 at like 101mph. This was at 20~PSI. I was on street tires and couldnt hook up though. I can tell you just as alot of other people have so far, Your Launch is where it counts. If you cant hook up you wont run a 13.5 on your set up. You can practice launching on the street but that will only help so much, the track is completly different to launch on. So get your launch down, down miss any gears, and hope for the best! I think someone else mentioned it already,, you could get a cheap Nitrous kit and you'll probably run the 13.5 and the $150 will pay for just about the whole kit!! hhaha.. I dont suggest nitrous but if you want to win the bet it is an option. Whatever you do good luck! and i cant wait to hear how it ends up.

cool. I'm trying to finalize a day that me and my friend can go to the track 2 weeks be4 on a saturday test and tune and see what im able to do now, and go from there. Along the lines of nitrous tho im thinking of purchasing a CO2 intercooler sprayer he he he

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
tbcmorris;1281048 said:
Ill just bring a supra seat;)

I am thinking about turning my old drivers seat into a lawn chair.
That would be one comfy ass lawn chair, lol.

My car should be ready to run for this event, I'm hoping to baby the launch to keep parts in tact, and I will be on pump with street tires. I just hope I don't break anything, other than a 12 flat.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Your question, does you car have enough power to do a 13.5? Yes, especially with DR's. But I won't guarantee anything with Supra owners and the track, most simply suck to worst degree. This SHOULD be an easy bet to win if you can simply get off the line better than a 2.1 60ft. (which I did on dry-rotted street tires in my FWD DSM with only free mods)

BTW, tell your friend he's a poor driver because he's an idiot if he thinks he couldn't run better than 13.5 on a t67 (BTW what was his trap on those runs), unless he cheaped out and ran 6psi on stock injectors with bullshit piggyback tuning. (SAFC probably...)

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
That intercooler sprayer you were talking about will help you some.. but its not going to be much help in hitting a 13.5. You should seriously just get some drag radials, and take out what ever weight you can and go