1300 Kg Track SUPRA project

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
Van;1977808 said:

dont ask me about diffusers... I have my brain smoking with that aero part, but to have a diffuser is better than dont have it
the one on the photo is nice and i like the details on the sides but for pure racing it must be bigger than that but with full flat floor ofcourse.
if we dont have a flat floor it will be the perfect choice , it will acelerate the air just in the midle where the gearbox and diff tunnel and that is goood.
I felt my supra a little more stable on a fast corners about 90 mph corners just after my diffuser was fitted, some maybe say it was a placebo but on the same road at the similar speeds I felt the supra more stable .

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I felt my supra a little more stable on a fast corners about 90 mph corners just after my diffuser was fitted, some maybe say it was a placebo but on the same road at the similar speeds I felt the supra more stable.
From what I've been reading, you are very correct the effect of a diffuser creating more down force. It is an integeral part of any Ground Effects project for our heavy cars. I have included a web site for you:
http://www.rapid-racer.com/aerodynamic-upgrades.php#Rear Diffuser

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Good reads. I wondered if the diffuser was more aesthetics as opposed to function. Not really enough for the way I drive, but can see a use for it. I would have to get one to see if it aided in how I drive. Wasn't aware that side skirts can also play a part.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
without a wind tunnel all we have to see if it works is our ASS jajajaja but not all also we can see other details like how fast the rear bumper get dirty after clean the can due of the back pressure generated at the back of the supra that was before fit the diffuser , after it was fitted the rear bumper keep clean more time and I allways been thinking that it was because the air fill the back of the supra with out turbulences , but I`ll say again, with out a wind tunnel test it is only my impressions.

on my nex project of a flat floor , I am debating between to drill the rear bumper or open some exits on the rear cover and fit the diffuser adjustable with some tie rods lookng for the best angle of the diffuser.

or just fit the diffuser like this and make some holes on the bumper

Why?? because I need an air exit to cool the gearbox tunnel and the rear differential which will be cooled with a Naca air duct just under the diff, the gearbox have a new cooler radiator at the front of the car just on a little opening created between the bumper and the front splitter but that air needs an exit and thats why.
what will be the best way????

to keep the engine cool I made some more openings on the hood and also it will improbe the aerodinamyc and downforce

here is the desing I like or similar

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Josbeat,
I would be safe in saying that U are on the right side of the argument for or against a diffuser, as I notice U are following a proven design from many race teams that have similar GT production cars using down force created by flat bottom floor tray and rear diffuser.
I have seen a video from an engineer of Lotus then Ferrari state that having an adjustable diffuser that pivots from the rear sub frame places the down force better on the rear wheels, allows for adjustments for different track conditions to help keep the air flow laminar.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
yes if the air is not laminar all is for nothing
I found one what looks nice for my project , it can be following the floor and is wider like the space between the wheels and also it let two air gaps on the side like it is lower on the sides ( i will no need holes on the rear bumper)
what do you thing about it ??

http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/newImages/182_1.jpg

from here

http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/c...-p-182.html?osCsid=cv2ubaj6hng5ptb41ubv6vbv62

if I have not ordered it jet is because the price is a little high than I want to spend on a diffuser but never say never jejeje

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
josbeat;1978225 said:
yes if the air is not laminar all is for nothing
I found one what looks nice for my project , it can be following the floor and is wider like the space between the wheels and also it let two air gaps on the side like it is lower on the sides ( i will no need holes on the rear bumper)
what do you thing about it ?? ...
That's a little more that I was expecting too. Before U spend that much on a design that may prove less than optimal on our cars, is there a way to experiment with the design using alternative materials like aluminum?

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
I can't seem to find any photo ala' google,

but I recently walked under a DB9, and their undertray/flat floor is one you might consider having a peek-a-boo at for inspiration

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
Also, to make that diffuser "really effective", you'll need to move the side skirts closer to the ground to prevent side draft into or out from the underside of the vehicle which may interrupt the flow underneath the car.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
BlackDevilSupra;1978444 said:
Also, to make that diffuser "really effective", you'll need to move the side skirts closer to the ground to prevent side draft into or out from the underside of the vehicle which may interrupt the flow underneath the car.

i will start to answer you

I have ready to fit some plastic angled to close the side of the floor and at the front I have cannards which help to keep the air out of the sides plus with the bomex sides all of those will help but I will not race on the 24 Hr of Lemans so no need to be the fastes car in th world jajajaja

here a test with te plastic angled

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
#04;1978392 said:
I can't seem to find any photo ala' google,

but I recently walked under a DB9, and their undertray/flat floor is one you might consider having a peek-a-boo at for inspiration

the stock DB9 or a track DB9??