1300 Kg Track SUPRA project

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
Van;1978272 said:
That's a little more that I was expecting too. Before U spend that much on a design that may prove less than optimal on our cars, is there a way to experiment with the design using alternative materials like aluminum?

on the web site we have the drawing measurements ... yes it will be possible and not bad idea.
that one looks good but the angle is more than the ideal but always the diffuser angle with the ground is afected with the presence of the rear wing so never know what is good or bad with out test.

look that!
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-con...-martin-v12-zagato-race-car-spy-photo-101.jpg

Van I think i have your email , i will send you a set of files where a guy make some test and explanation of the aero bits.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
#04;1978485 said:
it was a street/stock version, but interesting none the less

I have two customers with the DB9 vantage v12 , i will pay more attention on those cars next time they come to my garage.
also wil take some photos jeje

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
I just bougt this thing to set the corner weight properly
http://www.industrial-needs.com/technical-data-scales/vehicle-scale-pce-cwc.htm
it is a cheap way to do it , a full kit cost over 1000 UDS but just for an amateur use it will be ok , it only weight one wheel at one so I will need to move it arround the corners everytime but ....
soon I will see how it work, the plan is to buy 4 piece of wood of the same size and them replace each one with the unit to read the weight of that corner .

edited it is a piece of shit so don t buy it

Last edited:

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
it is the firts test
if all is allright then it will made with oval tubing and thinner muffler the 40 series oval tubing from flowmaster
and the floor panels will be canged for a carbon panels same like the front splitter (less weight)
at the moment with this exhaust the sound is nice really nice and quite, not loud, well for street use , we will see with the oval system ..

and the look with the side exhaust is... I like it.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
Van;1981618 said:
What form of heat insulator are U planning to use for the side exit exhaust?

at the second photo you can see the downpipe wraped , after that test I unwraped the exhaust to do a leak test and finish with the rear pipes, between the muffler and the body I will put a heat shield and to protect the paint on the side ill put a stainless plate.
any idea?

but it is only to see if is posible to do it and like now it is a reallity I will make one but with oval tubes and smaller muffler
see here http://www.performanceexhaustplus.c...ce-race-muffler-oval-tubing-350-in-c-out.html

the new oval exhaust will have bigger flow and will not be bigger than the height of the flat floor so in the end it could be covered with the flat floor.
Now I am using plywood but only to designing the panels and the bolt locations and use it like a template .... before cut the carbon fiber panels.

do you now what can I use to keep the carbon fiber safe covering the exhaust ? i have seen the use of foam but no idea what foam it is
look here also
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr...07&Signature=Qr0d3CMmToVh9AYiuie9yDdkchg=#_=_

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
today I been driving the Supra ... the new exhaust feels like it flow better than the Nur Spec I had before so not bad for the moment!

Like Van asked me, the exhaust temperature is a probem, like the muffler is very close to the floor it take to much temperature , now in the winter no problem but on summer it will be a problem, I will wait to see what happen with the new muffler and for the moment ill try to use better heat shields.

for all who want to now how it is going ... the engine temperature its ok with the new hood vents exits, the car handling feels well really well but to soon to say nothing about the flat floor , soon i will do some flow test but I want to make a custom diffuser before for the moemnt I am using the old one .

noise, the exhaust have a really nice tone and like the muffler is close to the copilot floor it can be lisening inside the car but like a rumor never irritating.

corner weights, I found that the corner weight with the driver inside is not perfect ,left-right is offset but is 49,4% in the cross weigth distribution so not to bad ( the ideal is 50%)
with out the driver inside, the car is heavier on the left than the rigth , it was a surprise for me , I moved the steering pump to the left thinking to compensate the weight of the turbo and the exhaust on the right of the car so....i will not move the pump again to the right side because really I like where it is now but i need to check what can I move from left to right , the difference is 20 kg at the front and 5 kg at the back but if not possible to get the corner weights perfect I will concetrate on the cross weight only.

I am happy .

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Do U really need a muffler with a turbo?
I am going to have my Supra's exhaust Ceramic Thermal Barrier coated. It reduces heat loss from the exhaust by 40%. I'm relying on that to keep the heat away from the transmission, the Diff and the Carbon fiber hood. It should work for U on the heat through the floor, the Carbon fiber undercover and the side skirts too.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
muffler yes with a big turbo like ATMperformance say, it truth that when you are racing the exhaust noise is minimal on a turbo engines but I am using the car also on a public roads and with out muffler is really noise and the supra dont have a nice tone when no muffler fitted.

Yes ceramic coating plus a heat shield like this (http://www.ebay.es/itm/300608728153?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) will be the solution, but for ceramic coating ...can I do it? or do I need to send the exhaust to an especial company to do it?.

today again I been driving with the supra arround the town (remeber also I am checking the dry sump system) and im really happy how it is going so now I am ordering the carbon panels and the oval pipes but this dates are complicated to order parts , I am still waiting to have an answer from a company in USA about the oval pipes so...patience.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Ceramic thermal barrier coatings; I've always sent the parts out to get done professionally. I would encourage U to explore UR options. Noting UR abilities already very high, U might try coating and baking on the coatings, albeit, the oven would need to be large.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
I been trying today to adjust the height of the corners an play with it .... I found that the thing I bought to measure the corner weight is a piece of shit .

Last edited: