1300 Kg Track SUPRA project

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
look Spiller the parts you will need is
20-3/4 plus the SL17 plus the QRNA-2 plus the SBC-1 plus an steering wheel adapter 3 to 6 bolts plus a 85 mm dipped steering wheel
with plain steering wheel you will need other bigger jacquet
also like you can see on the photos we will need two saquares with a rail where we can adjust the column up/down or with some holes.
normally they recomend to get one size large to give a room to adjust the lengt of the column in case you wnat to move the seats back
like you can see on the photos... I used the standar part at the end , I cutted it and use the bearing and tube then to connect it with the estandar steering rack I cutted the Universal joint at the end of the standar column and weld it with the SL17 bar (it must to be very well welded) it is not complicate because the standar U-joint come with a hollow bar and the inside diameter is perfect for the SL17 bar.
Using the standar bearing at the botton we can adjust the heigth of the steering wheel with out stressing the column
I dont remember way but between the squares and the dashboard bar I put 10 or 15 mm spacers.

here the latest photo I have with a largest squares

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
disturbed1;1733490 said:
hmm did tell this bloke his 63" wing was too small. may have to reconsider!

i have a tremec tko-500 in my street car and i rekon its prob just as noisy as your straight cut box - atleast yours has a cool elemet to it haha

as for 1100 kilo, my supra tipped the scales at 1180 withoiut a cage and light rims on it. then jumped up to 1240 with the addition of heavier 3 piece rims, 6 point bolt in cage and few other bits and pieces.

heres a list of the mods since installed/need to be fitted up... a heavier cage (+15 kilos), woodwarde column (-5), 7m motor swapped out for 1jz (no idea about difference there - guessperhaps -10kg gt30 lighter then a trust t78), fiberglass doors with lexan windows (-50), lightweight rims (-10), pedal box( prob no diff), frotn jic arms (+5), wing (+5), aluminium body coiloverswith lighteight springs, previously had tein has (-10), fiberglass bonnet deletign headlights (-15), carbon tailshaft if i ever have enough cash to burn (-10), full spool to replace my welded diff (-10), arc hollow swaybars (-8) and im sure a few more minor things which involve n angle grinder

all up a reduction in 100 kilos from the 1240 state taking me well into the 11XXs. rekon it will be a strugle to get it much lighter. fiberglass hatch with lexan prob a surefire weight to drop another 30 kilos but prob not something i will do. would light to fit a manual rack to the car though!

my pedal box weight 2,5 kg same as the brake booster hehe but the rest of supra pedals dosn´t make any big differencem they arent heavy as I supouse.

yeah the rear hatch with lexan will be a lot but allways from the back and it will be a problem on a race car but not on a drifft car eh?
I friend told me one day about that , about the rear hatch , he said that I can compensate with the rear wing but all we know that we will lost traction on a low corners and at low speed.

please tell me where are your building thread? , I am allways open to new ideas and aI like to see other supra mk3 race cars
same to you Spiller.

chers

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

I forget to coment that my Chromolloy 40 mm 9 point cage weight 34 or 35 kg if i remember well

Sir_2jza70

Sock puppet master
May 10, 2005
Canberra, Australia
Love this thread, some awesome work in this car :)

When you say the woodward shaft is better for safety, how do you mean? Is this because its aluminium and would cumple better in a big crash?

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
Sir_2jza70;1734487 said:

When you say the woodward shaft is better for safety, how do you mean? Is this because its aluminium and would cumple better in a big crash?

depending on model - they are up to 9" collapsable. not entirely sure what they mean by that. they are required in nascar so cant be unsafe :)

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
so there is a way to make the column adjustable or telescopic? or once you set the length, thats where it stays? Of is that what you meant by using the standard "bearing" at the bottom josbeat? So you can still move the column up and down? the biggest problem with my steering is that it is sloppy with a lot of play. are you still using the standard steering rack and pump josbeat?

In your post above josbeat, just trying to work out what your abbreviations refer to...

20-3/4 inch = length of the woodward column?

SL17 = ?

QRNA-2 ?

SBC-1 ?

what are these things? lol

Also man, that wing of yours looks HUGE!! Are you sure its only 63"? It looks like it is actually wider than the car but im sure that the supra rear end is wider than 63"??

Maybe its just the perspective of the image because the wing angles back off the car so it is closer to the camera, so it looks wider?

Sir_2jza70

Sock puppet master
May 10, 2005
Canberra, Australia
Lol, dont either of you two own a measuring tape? I just measured mine, rear end is about 1600mm (without bothering to pull the car cover off)....which works out at exactly 63" :p

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
Sir_2jza70;1734487 said:

all steering column have a retractable system in case of crach but when I removed mine form my supra , those shafts doesn`t move at all when the woodward unit have a totally freely retractable shaft ,and of couse I mean in case of big crash.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Sir_2jza70;1734509 said:
Lol, dont either of you two own a measuring tape? I just measured mine, rear end is about 1600mm (without bothering to pull the car cover off)....which works out at exactly 63" :p

hehe! no sorry I touk that measure from the FIA book and like my proyect was a race car but legal for public streets I must to be sure that the rear wing will not be bigger than the car.
but if you take the measure just where the fenders are more wider youll see the 1720 or 1740 mm
my wing is 63" and it is not bigger than the rear of the car but just on the corners and like the wing is something like a 45 degrees back , it is a little out of the car but just just on the corners, thats way I say like maybe the 57" will be better ????? I am happy with the 63" anyway!

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
View attachment cat05%2.pdfView attachment safety%20steering%20columns.pdf
spiller;1734505 said:
so there is a way to make the column adjustable or telescopic? or once you set the length, thats where it stays? Of is that what you meant by using the standard "bearing" at the bottom josbeat? So you can still move the column up and down? the biggest problem with my steering is that it is sloppy with a lot of play. are you still using the standard steering rack and pump josbeat?

In your post above josbeat, just trying to work out what your abbreviations refer to...

20-3/4 inch = length of the woodward column?

SL17 = ?

QRNA-2 ?

SBC-1 ?

what are these things? lol

Also man, that wing of yours looks HUGE!! Are you sure its only 63"? It looks like it is actually wider than the car but im sure that the supra rear end is wider than 63"??

Maybe its just the perspective of the image because the wing angles back off the car so it is closer to the camera, so it looks wider?

yes the photos make it bigger but not, isn`t bigger

I will post here the woodward catalog where you can see what I am saying with those references hehe
like a said before it is fully adjustable, ok ok not fully because not possible to adjust the angle of the steering wheel sorry. hehe

the attachements are on the top , I don t now way?

I am using the standar steerign rack but the not the pump , actually is an electric unit which only work when the alternator is chargin, see the firts photos the ones with the pump closed to the radiator
no problem I have more hehe

Last edited:

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
Spiller you ask me about the dysplai
Ok it is an MXL Strada because it comes with some details good for dayly use like the battery light , lager lights on, oil presure warning light ,side indicators ight....
and it is fully AEM EMS compatible and and sorry it have a big number in the middle to see the gear engaged hehe for any gearbox but specially with sequential gearbox.
other detail is that , I can use the ABS sensor to see the speed! plus a lot of more things.
other very interested is that you can see the lap time with to options , one by magnetic sensor (if the track have that possibility) or by a GPS system with is very interested because it will be a data acquisition like in a pros competitions, you now corner speed , brake distances, speeds, and on a map the corner lines.

the others moddels was more expensives so I took the cheap one . 850 GBP I thing but now they are on sales (its right to say " on sale" when they put a lower prices?)

Last edited:

Sir_2jza70

Sock puppet master
May 10, 2005
Canberra, Australia
Looks good. Does you unit have data logging? Im looking at using a IQ3 dash, which is a similar unit but works with my Haltech.

RE: 'on sale'. We say something is 'on sale' when the price is dropped temporarily, when the price has become cheaper permenantly, we just say the price has dropped. ;)

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
josbeat, that unit is awesome, i'm definitely sold on it now, im getting one. perfect for my needs as I dont need massive data logging potential. tell me sir, can it display oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, lap time and speed all at the same time? where did you get the CF mounting plate for it? I saw some on ebay from a guy selling the CF with the dash unit. Also mate, can it display temperatures in degrees Celsius? (not sure what temperature system you guys use in Espana)?

Ed: they have three different models, the strada is the "street/performance" model and only has 128kb of memory for data logging but you cant download it, can only recall through the unit itself (AFAIK - josbeat correct me if im wrong...maybe you can download with a USB?). The "Pista" model is the next one up and is basically the same thing with a few extra LEDs for warning but has 8GB of memory for data acquisition which can be downloaded. Then the top of the line model is the "Pro" which is the same as Pista but with 16 GB downloadable memory, but they are around $2999 which is MoTeC SDL2 money. The Strada model is about 1200 US so fucking good deal (when you consider 3 defi gauges and a controller are in excess of 1500 bucks and arent as functional nor compact/simplified).

Plus, who really needs all that data logging unless you're in a pro race team? As long as the warning lights are dialed in to tell you when something is about to explode, that's the main thing, right? :p

I just like the idea of having everything in front of you in nice easy to read displays - no information overload, which is obviously pretty important when you're fangin' round the track :)

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
Sir_2jza70;1734742 said:
Looks good. Does you unit have data logging? Im looking at using a IQ3 dash, which is a similar unit but works with my Haltech.

RE: 'on sale'. We say something is 'on sale' when the price is dropped temporarily, when the price has become cheaper permenantly, we just say the price has dropped. ;)

it have but very limited on that model
I have dataloging with the AEM EMS so I no need it on the display or not at the moment.
I been looking all moddels on the market and finnally an expert recomend me that unit.....

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

mkIII2jz;1735168 said:
Where can I buy your peddle set up I need that for my foot work , stock peddles are crampd for heel toe

Flatshiffter.co.uk

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
spiller;1735398 said:
josbeat, that unit is awesome, i'm definitely sold on it now, im getting one. perfect for my needs as I dont need massive data logging potential. tell me sir, can it display oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, lap time and speed all at the same time? where did you get the CF mounting plate for it? I saw some on ebay from a guy selling the CF with the dash unit. Also mate, can it display temperatures in degrees Celsius? (not sure what temperature system you guys use in Espana)?

Ed: they have three different models, the strada is the "street/performance" model and only has 128kb of memory for data logging but you cant download it, can only recall through the unit itself (AFAIK - josbeat correct me if im wrong...maybe you can download with a USB?). The "Pista" model is the next one up and is basically the same thing with a few extra LEDs for warning but has 8GB of memory for data acquisition which can be downloaded. Then the top of the line model is the "Pro" which is the same as Pista but with 16 GB downloadable memory, but they are around $2999 which is MoTeC SDL2 money. The Strada model is about 1200 US so fucking good deal (when you consider 3 defi gauges and a controller are in excess of 1500 bucks and arent as functional nor compact/simplified).

Plus, who really needs all that data logging unless you're in a pro race team? As long as the warning lights are dialed in to tell you when something is about to explode, that's the main thing, right? :p

I just like the idea of having everything in front of you in nice easy to read displays - no information overload, which is obviously pretty important when you're fangin' round the track :)

yeah metric and Celsius Hehehehe
it show speed , oil tem, water temp, oil press, air temp, gear number, lap time and battery volt if you want at the same time and touching a button it show anhother 4 sensor or eny tipe of sensor (exhaust temp or head temo or .....all)
all moddels have the same six warning leds fully configurables and yes it is very usefull and also if any alarm is displayed the name of the fault is shown on the display sp you reconice it quickly

that the most used display on a race bikes and cars but I bougth it because Ii can read the sensor from the AEM EMS also the lambda!
yes you can config the units

I havent tryed to get any datalogging so I dont know.

I made my own carbon plate by hand hehe!

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
spiller;1735718 said:
really cool man, can it calculate predicted lap times based on splits? do you need a GPS input to make it do the lap times?

with the GPS (300 GBP or USD no reember on EBAY) you can do all you want to do alllll