$10,000 TO SPEND on a 91 MKIII

SupraSamm

May 23, 2014
Texas
First of all please forgive me but I am new to the SUPRA game. Hehe.
I just picked up a 91 MKIII 7MGTE completely stock and in fair condition. Currently the engine runs but clutch is out.Im planning to get it to push around 500hp. I know that this car is easily a $30k car but i got $10k to dump into the motor 1st before anything else.
Im wanting to see some ideas on how would you spend the 10k into your build in my situation.
Please treat your ideas as your on build. but keep this in mind I want FAST & RELIABLE. Dont mind spending the extra money for a better peice of mind on a part. Thank you in advance and excited to see what kind of colaborations we can put together.

WANT
500hp
FAST
RELIABLE

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
1J vvti swap, rear sump, r154 bellhousing
Tomei Arms turbo/elbow/cams
680cc inj/SARD rail/Walbro 340lph
JZ/R154 flywheel with your choice of clutch
Engine Management of your choice (HKS V-pro, Apexi PowerFC, AEM (somebodies working on a harness for it) to ProEFI, etc)

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
On top of that you can buy an already swapped MKIII for $10,000 or less.

I would browse the for sale section and see what that kind of money could buy you. I know you already have a MKIII, but the cars for sale are already complete. You could keep your current MKIII as a daily, and buy a second already built for race/show car duty.

Not to mention there's some heavy hitters in your area that can lead to down the right path. There's a meet next week in your area. Attend and meet some good MKIII 7m guys.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?197215-DFW-Supra-Meet-June-7th-at-LG-Motorsports

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
When I go big.

2jzgte $2200- $2800 depending on the day

Tweek harness $1200

USDM injectors. $350

MKIV fuel pump $250

Cast manifold signal turbo kit moderate turbo maybe 6262 some room to grow.
$3000

Bell housing and clutch $1100

Misc small overlooked budget busters $1200

Aem plug and play $2000

Tuning $500

About a real $12000 or so to be road ready with OEM reliability

I really want PRO EFI with flex fuel add $ 3000

Bummer with pro efi and e 85 fuel flow you need twin MKIV pumps and bigger injectors.

Or find the right car that meets my expectations It takes as much or more to fix bs swaps vs doing it yourself.
IMO Get started now.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Yes but you still need a turbo, fuel system, clutch, ecu and misc then tuning so the saving are not that big. 500 daily rwhp with OEM reliability is not going to be cheap. Ya anyone one can throw stuff at cars and write all day about problems. How many 500 rwhp MKIII are there that can be driven anywhere any time are there? Not like oh I got to this and that then we can go for a drive. My hats are off to those fellows who have the 500 rwhp daily cars.

Sound performance did about 540 whp 7mgte with there bolt on turbo and pro efi. Not cheap. Will it go 100k miles like a 2jzgte can at 500. I don't know

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
super51fan;2008144 said:
Yes but you still need a turbo, fuel system, clutch, ecu and misc then tuning so the saving are not that big. 500 daily rwhp with OEM reliability is not going to be cheap. Ya anyone one can throw stuff at cars and write all day about problems. How many 500 rwhp MKIII are there that can be driven anywhere any time are there? Not like oh I got to this and that then we can go for a drive. My hats are off to those fellows who have the 500 rwhp daily cars.

Sound performance did about 540 whp 7mgte with there bolt on turbo and pro efi. Not cheap. Will it go 100k miles like a 2jzgte can at 500. I don't know

To get 500 rwhp in a 2j you need to do pretty much the same upgrades. If I where building something with a lot of hp then going 2j would definitely be something to consider. 500 rwhp can easily be achieved with a 7m even with a stock long block.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can hit close to 500 pretty easily with stock turbos and a tune on a 2jz.

You can hit 500 with a stock block 7m but for how long. It's not a question of will it blow it's a question of when. Because it will.

You can love the 7m all you want but there are proven facts that jz series engines are far more reliable than 7m. A 2jz will make more power for less money than a 7m will too.

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
hvyman;2008153 said:
You can hit close to 500 pretty easily with stock turbos and a tune on a 2jz.

You can hit 500 with a stock block 7m but for how long. It's not a question of will it blow it's a question of when. Because it will.

You can love the 7m all you want but there are proven facts that jz series engines are far more reliable than 7m. A 2jz will make more power for less money than a 7m will too.

I've been doing it for 4 1/2 years know. I'm not trying to turn this into a 2j vs 7m debate the 2j is a superior engine no doubt. But everybody's answer to the 7m problem is throw a 2j at it what's wrong with building a solid 7m not some back yard budget build with an owner who never worked on an engine before that's a receipt for disaster. I would bet majority of 7m haters did exactly that. I've got a lot of experience with mk4 supra's never had one do close to 500 rwhp with stock turbos. Also turbo,fuel system,standalone,intercooler, and all the other things you buy to upgrade your car cost about same for both cars.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes but you have to build a 7m. 2j you don't. So add a couple grand to do it properly.

And not everyone is a "professional engine builder".