$10,000 TO SPEND on a 91 MKIII

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
SupraSamm;2008206 said:
@ Another MKIII
Yes I most definatly agree that brakes and suspension should be upgraded as well. But that will come after the motor is satisfactory. I wont run the car till all thats in check
Its really easy to say that when you don't have 500 hp under your right foot.
-AM3

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
7M4EVR;2008253 said:
If you gave me those $10,000 and a stock mk3:

#1 is excellent machine work done by someone who KNOWS the little details for machining a 7M, get a full-flow-thermostatic controlled oil cooler (personally I would also have a custom oil pan done up with a new pump or at the very least Mic and spec all the clearances in the current pump, then shim it about 5mm), double check all your machinests' measurements then get yourself some good rod/main bearings, new oil pump drive shaft bearings, and a good rod/piston combo (just search these, you could spend hours deciding on what brands to go with). If you want to play with headwork and get into bigger cams at this time go for it, but personally if my cams were in good shape, id get a 3-angle valve job, some minor porting on the intake side and spend my money elsewhere.

Assembly is most important, take your time, make sure you know all your clearances both on the shortblock and the head. Get a good MHG (HKS stopper) that gives you the desired compression ratio. Go with ARP hardware and torque everything slowely, carefully, in the right order per TSRM, according to the FASTENER torque spec reccomendations. Then pick a parts list that suits your goals (see the 7M HP link below for ideas). As previously mentioned, the power is only as good as you can get it to the wheels, and will only do you good if you don't kill yourself using it. Spend the money on good clutch/brakes/suspension/tires/etc. You can run the stock R154 until it goes, but I would suggest just rebuilding it while its out and be done with it. I learned that the hard way! Then there are always those little things that might not serve as necessity performance upgrades, but you are going to want (like a front facing intake manifold, possibly better coils and ignition, etc.) Don't forget to save money for the unexpected gremlins, and cosmetic things you might want later. Also remember no matter what set up you go with that it's ALL IN THE TUNE! Invest in a good tuning tool and an even better tuner.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?66742-***SM-Member-Horsepower-List***

We could all swap in 2J's and drink the koolaid, or keep alive the 7M and show some originality!

I'll throw in here don't accept sub par work from your machinist. I decided to go MHG after already having my head rebuilt and the machine shop tried to give it back to me with lapping dust in ever nook and cranny of the head. He said he "blew" it out with shop air. So i ended up having to disassemble the whole thing and used about $40 of carb and brake cleaner to clean it all up. I wasn't happy but i knew the motor wouldn't last if i cut that corner. the shop also lapped my block without the timing cover on and then took 5 thou too much off my front cover when trying to "match" it. that shop got wrote off for the rest of my life and all because the missed a few key details.

Rattlingalucard

Apr 13, 2014
Texas
I'm glad I came to this thread. I just bought a mk3 turbo also. And pretty much you guys answered any question i had too lol. Also any one in here from houston?