1 ARP head bolt coated in oil?

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
Alright guys, quick question. My parts car...I just took out my motor a few days ago, and just now got around to disassembly. I have a grex 2.0 MHG and ARP bolts. Upon removing the center bolt on the intake side, it was DRIPPING with oil. What are some possible causes for it to be completely saturated with oil? Block surface not true? Head warped? Gasket just flat out blown? It's hard to tell if oil was leaking out the side onto the block, as the side is already coated from a bad cam cover gasket.

Opinions? The rest of the bolts were dry, just had the moly lube on them.

-Tom

cartman

7m powa
Jan 29, 2006
Chilliwack
cracked block? whomever installed the ARP bolts might have not cleaned the bolt holes out prior to installation. So if there was coolant and/or oil in the hole and he installed the bolt, it may have cracked the block (liquid dosnt compress)

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
I cleaned the holes out with a tap and the block was acid dipped prior to the motor's installation the first time around...I suppose it may have been cracked before that. It was a "low mileage" motor, I assumed it wouldn't be cracked.

Oh well, I have a PERFECT bare block to replace this. I really only needed the 7m crank from the old motor.

There was no oil in the head, I always blow it out with compressed air and a rag...besides, it was a LOT of oil.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
There is no way that is a cracked block. That bolt doesn't go anywhere near the oil passages.

IMG_4709.JPG

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Check the Washer seat in the Head, If it's a bit rough or has a gouge the Oil will fill up while running then run under the washer and down the bolt.

There's no way in a 7M for the Oil to come up from the block as the head bolt holes are all blind.