'02 Nissan Maxima Oil Concerns (Paging Jdub & Others)

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima with around 120k on it. It serve as my DD. It was purchased by my family brand new in 2002.

Unfortunately around a year or so ago, it began to run low on oil. I couldn't figure out the problem. It turned out there was a tiny hole in the oil pan (Damn Northeast rust) which only leaked while the car was driven (under load). Not a spec on oil dripped while sitting.

Since then, she probably goes through a little over 2 qts. every 5k miles or so. I have always used Mobil 1 5Wx30 Synthetic. However, it's starting to get expensive, especially having to re-fill the oil every week or so.

I was contemplating changing to a less expensive oil. I've read time and time again about conventional and synthetic oils, but I'd like to hear what guys think I should do. Mind you, she runs perfect and gets around 30 mpg highway.

Thanks in advance,
Mo

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Get a new oil pan. Or have it repaired.
You may also be giving dirt a way into the system, which never ends well.

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Piratetip;1285051 said:
Get a new oil pan. Or have it repaired.
You may also be giving dirt a way into the system, which never ends well.

Maybe I should have clarified that. The oil pan has already been replaced.

-Mo

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Unfortunately the VQ35s are notorious oil burners, although I haven't really spent any time figuring out why. I've got an 02 SE myself (140k kms) which so far hasn't really used any oil (knocking on wood), however a family member of mine had an 02 I35 which burnt oil...so go figure.

The only differences between the cars were that a) the infinity sat for extended periods of time as it was my grandparents' car and b) the car was probably rarely taken over 4k rpm.

I make a point to go WOT on a regular basis to get combustion temperatures up and keep things such as the valves relatively free of carbon build up.

Do a compression test on the engine and see what you get...and then go from there. For whats its worth, I use Amsoil 0w30 synthetic/amsoil EA filter at 15000km change intervals.

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Thank you for the reply Adam. I was hoping someone with Nissan experience would chime in.

I thought about going to a heavier weight oil, such as a 0w30, but wanted to get some more feedback first.

Are the VQ35's known to be noisy engines? Mine is silent as can be, however, while driving at around 1800rpm, there is a slight valve tap. This noise is not audible while revving the motor in park, or neutral. Just under driving conditions. It has also not affected performance.

Although I do not beat my vehicles, I have also made a point to "get on" her every now and then to make sure carbon does not build up. Nissan cleaned the intake once and it did help the "valve tap" I described earlier, but it did not cure it of the problem.

-Mo

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
As the valvetrain is hydraulically self-adjusting, the tapping is likely not a valve adjustment problem. I'd be willing to bet that a valve guide/stem seal is pooched. Have you looked at your spark plugs lately? Look for oil fouling on individual plugs...this will help narrow down your issue.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
adampecush;1285191 said:
I make a point to go WOT on a regular basis to get combustion temperatures up and keep things such as the valves relatively free of carbon build up.

I like your style sir. :biglaugh:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
shaeff has a lead foot. ALL of his vehicles see WOT on a daily basis. LOL.

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
shaeff;1286874 said:
shaeff has a lead foot. ALL of his vehicles see WOT on a daily basis. LOL.

^^^He's not kidding :burnout:

I'm going to give German Castrol a try and go from there.

-Mo