Supra + Faye = Love. My first build thread. (beware, picture heavy...)

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Suprapowaz!(2);1979197 said:
Starting by taking your car to its limit on public roads with limited driving experience is not the way to do it.

as if you were never froggy in your car at some point when you started out. we have all done it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Love the people here saying they can drive their car on ice... If a damn TANK can't drive on ice, you can't.

Only way to drive on ice is with aired down studded tires and very slowly...

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I make statements about myself, because I know my capabilities. For all you guys know though, I could be lying. And that would be the exact same as one of yall telling anyone else what they are capable of. You don't know, you have no clue. You have absolutely nothing to base any statement of that sort on. (other than YOUR shortcomings)
luckyshay7;1979173 said:
So you can drive on ice, so can everyone else. It's not comepletely them that loses control, obvisously there are a lot of factors in the situation. Not always are you going to keep control on ice. Oh you're a perfect driver? Every climate, every speed, FWD, AWD, RWD, Cemi, what specifics to run for certain types of driving...etc.
now you're just being an asshole. no one said they're a perfect driver, ever, but somehow you just managed to type those very words. yes, I'm being an asshole too, but I said what I said.

IndigoMKII;1979199 said:
as if you were never froggy in your car at some point when you started out. we have all done it.
thank you.

Poodles;1979236 said:
Love the people here saying they can drive their car on ice... If a damn TANK can't drive on ice, you can't.

Only way to drive on ice is with aired down studded tires and very slowly...

There are so many different types of ice, it's not funny. You can't narrow your view so harshly and expect that statement to hold up to real situations. In the most extreme conditions, you'd be right. Those conditions are almost non-existent here.

Last edited:

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
I think everyone has the right to say something especially when someone admits to driving like an ass on public roads. Have we all done it? Sure, but most don't make it public knowledge.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
it's a shame about the car. it seems like the op just drives over their limits though. that car should never be out on icy roads.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
TMMCSupra;1979268 said:
I think everyone has the right to say something especially when someone admits to driving like an ass on public roads. Have we all done it? Sure, but most don't make it public knowledge.

Exactly. Don't drive like a dick or asshole, make it public, and not expect any kind of backlash.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
Mad props on the first rebuild Faye. Will be following this one and see how things work out for you. We all have made our mistakes and I am curious as to how this one turns around for you.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
supraguy@aol;1979174 said:
Out of curiosity, Faye-
What other types of cars do you own? Anything cool?

Well, this is the car that I have been finishing up the engine swap on.... I think she's pretty cool.....

1980 (formerly diesel) VW Rabbit with a '96 GTI ABA motor swapped in. G60 cam. Fabbed up my own wiring harness... 3" lift all the way around on mk3 Bilstein HD's with modified struts, mudflaps, rally lights,... Built both bumpers myself... my very first welding project. Modified Scirocco grill (hated the 80's square headlights on the VW.... they fit the Supra, but...), rear disc brake conversion.... full techtonics tuning exhaust, shine rear sway bar and front sway bar made by me :)
Yeah, I think she's pretty cool.....

p1979319_1.jpg
p1979319_2.jpg

p1979319_3.jpg

p1979319_4.jpg

After finishing up a few little things, I hope to have her on the road this afternoon.... Then paint her back to her former VW motorsports blue. (pardon the paint job, left over from a wedding where she shuttled bride and groom from ceremony to afterparty, haha)

Then the Sammy: (note, parts bunny behind him)
p1979319_5.jpg

2-piece removable hardtop.... also modified, naturally...

Then Parts Supra. I have the title, and most of the parts to make her whole, though, I guess she should count as 1/2... so maybe more like 3.5 cars??
p1979319_6.jpg

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
modmonster2008;1979179 said:
Faye, just remember; anything can be done with the right amount of determination. Yes buying a new shell is the best option, but like you, I was hard headed as well, and decided to fix mine up, it's doable, just never give your mind a bit to even think about giving up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!! Plus, I think that I will learn a lot in the process.... She's a part of me... I can't give her up....

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
IndigoMKII;1979181 said:
dont listen to them Faye, I've rebuilt my car after hitting a deer. no one is perfect at driving, for those of you that drive for a living, everyone had to start at the exact same spot.

rebuild it faye, bring it beyond its former glory. I'll be following the thread and giving advice where I can, it can be done. you are a female so that should piss you off enough that it happened so you never give up on it. the thing I really like about cars is you can almost always rebuild them as long as they don't look like a pretzel.

I've had my car try to kill me a few times as well without driving spirited, ventus rs3s on a steep hill, downshifted to 3rd so the engine didn't lug too bad then boost came on real quick and before I could get off the gas I was swerving left and right in the road. I was praying to whatever that I didn't hit a fence post or an embankment. after that day, if the road looks close to being wet I don't drive my car. 3.91 and my torque makes wet roads dangerous with my extreme summer tires.

Yes... I also still had my summer tires on....
And shit, I mean.... I thought about just leaving out the backstory or saying a bunch of lies.... "I got rear ended, then I let a friend borrow my car and this shit happened!!" But nahh.... gotta own it. That's part of the healing process, I suppose....

Have you ever watched the movie "Love the Beast"?? Good movie.... Anyhow, I am not a huge Dr. Phil fan, but he has a quote that I have up on my wall (written on a picture of the Supra from when I did the body work the first time around) "I can tell you from a professional standpoint, that whatever it takes to fix that car.... Is pretty damn cheap therapy!!" Gotta love it...

That and Jeremy Clarkson of course:
[video=youtube;AoRI89hsn0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoRI89hsn0M[/video]
[video=youtube;HSxKm7twTM4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxKm7twTM4[/video]

Anyways.... a little inspiration there...

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
MadRPM;1979192 said:
Do you take the car to a road course, 1/4 mile or drift events?

Not this car, but I plan to! I actually race quite a bit... I am a member of the SCCA and enjoy high speed AutoX... not something that we have here on the West Coast (or not that I have yet found.... I am new here) but back on the East coast there was this former military airforce base that was abandoned, and a small company that teaches performance driving bought part of it.... Called ADSI. Anyhow, I took 3 high performance driving classes there.... I used to race my little 8V Rabbit GTI and place pretty well.... got a couple trophies :D

Then here, I did find some autoX. Little GTI was left behind (drove the diesel Rabbit here) and I bought an 89 CRX with a B18C1 swap.... Wayyy fun little car! Raced her at PIR and this lumberyard deep in Washington.... the name is escaping me now.... Also did some hillclimb events. All front wheel drive, though, so I am looking forward to doing some RWD racing.

Not with this car, though. Even though I plan on making her at structurally sound as physically possible (welding in reinforcement places, etc., etc., (you'll see!! Keep watching!!) I would like to get another Supra eventually to use as a drift/race car. Maybe even an na for starters. This one will be the pretty show car :)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Suprapowaz!(2);1979284 said:
Exactly. Don't drive like a dick or asshole, make it public, and not expect any kind of backlash.

Haha I know! 4 pages in just a day, holy cow! Gonna be the most popular and controversial thread on the forums here real soon....

It's totally ok with me, I was expecting it, honestly. Like I already said, at first, I was going to leave out the details..... but then I thought that was total bullshit, gotta be honest and own the situation. Maybe prevent some others from making my mistakes, ORRR teach them how to do a proper rebuild once they do!! ;)

And plus.... as if I haven't gotten enough shit from people that I actually KNOW and RESPECT... some random words on the internet - on a PUBLIC FORUM... where I CHOSE to share my stupidity.... I mean... what do you think that I think?

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Wow, it actually sounds like you have more intense driving experience than most, actually...including me.
And wow on the VW. Great rally concept. I had an '88 8v golf GT, loved it. Bought it for $150, sold it for $1100.
Loved how cheap the replacement parts were for it too.

Ps- bought "Love the Beast" about 3 months ago.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
clutch;1979288 said:
Mad props on the first rebuild Faye. Will be following this one and see how things work out for you. We all have made our mistakes and I am curious as to how this one turns around for you.

THANKS!!!

Okay, I can't individually respond to everybody or I will be at 8 pages, and that is excessive... So, I will just continue with the build part...

Actually, before I do, I figure I should throw a random fun fact out there: until I had to do Supra rebuild round 1, I had never done *ANY* body work before.... never touched a sheet of sandpaper, never used bondo, never removed a body panel on a car. The most was DA sanding my bunny for some fun paint jobs over the years.... but I just taped her up and sprayed cheap rattle can paint all over her.
Ok, now onto the rest of the story...

So, I took the day off of work Friday to bring my car to a body shop..... YES... that's right... but hold on. I feel capable of doing almost everything.... except straightening the frame. That had to be done by a professional.... I had worked extra the week before to be able to have this day, and I still had to fight for it... so even when I woke up that morning to snow on the ground... there was no turning back for me.... nor for the person who volunteered to tow my car.

My lab partner in tech school races dirt circle track stuff. They race around on a smalllll small little ring - indoors - and in order to pass one another, literally have to push each other out of the way. So, when I explained to him why I missed the day of school (and apologized for not being there to help him finish up that clutch job...) the day after the crash, he knew exactly who to call, once I had made up my mind to rebuild my car again. Of course, he - like everyone else who has looked at the car - was pushing for me to just get another shell and swap it all in. Would show up every day with the newest Supra for sale on his phone's craigslist app. Eventually he realized that I wasn't budging, so went with it. He called this shop out in Vernonia (about 1.5-2 hours from me here in Portland) with a frame straightener who did a lot of work for the abused race cars (but also did body work on show cars as well). He agreed to take a look at the car, and give a professional opinion on whether or not she was rebuildable. That sounded like a good idea to me. Perhaps the only rational decision that I have made all month.....

I spoke with the owner of the shop on the phone. He had asked that I didn't touch the car at all - he wanted to see the impact spot first hand, and see how the metal had bent. There was quite a bit of tension on the frame, so had I pulled the bumper, or even fenders, then the body could warp or spring back into place.... or into a different place for that matter... and not give an accurate representation of how the impact had happened, I guess.... it made sense to me when he explained it!

p1979339_1.jpg

After school Friday, the roads had cleared up, so we decided to go for it, and loaded the car onto the trailer and set off for the middle of nowhere. I had no idea what to expect, so I kept an open mind... and honestly, was so exhausted from the last couple weeks of going from school (6:30am until noon), to work (12:30 until 6), to working on finishing up my VW Rabbit staying up til the wee hours of the morning.... to walk the 6 miles home.... to wake up 3-4 hours later to go to school.... I had no brain space left to question what was happening or what I was about to start. So as soon as we hit the highway, I just fell asleep in the truck. Good thing, too, because had I seen the roads..... I am not sure that I would have gone for it.

I woke up at one point to this:

p1979339_2.jpg

Which naturally, hit a little close to home.... I was terrified (2wd truck with a heavy heavy load) and buried my head again.... didn't look up until the truck stopped...

I looked around me and surveyed the town.... cute little place with a gas station, local coffee shop, and an antique store. We were parked right next to the body shop, and I could see a couple of nice old Dodges in the windows. One was a Super Bee... very clean... with a few plaques next to it. I looked behind me and saw, to my relief, that my Supra was still there.

Upon entering the shop, I felt immediately at home. The owner was super nice and looked over my Supra. "I've done much worse" he said, and proceeded to talk my ear off for the next hour, talking about how the impact had affected the car, the nature of bent metals, and what was needed to make the car well again. He earned my business. Plus, the car was already sitting there, staring longingly at the frame straightener... I think she approved, also.

The first step was to strip the car down to the frame, then get the bumper core installed. I asked him if he minded if I was there when he did the straightening.... I wanted to learn how it is done, and even help. And I wanted to strip my car down myself. I could bring all of my own tools, keep my space clean... At first, he was iffy about it... something about insurance and the complications of adding in someone without any experience. To his credit, I am not sure that I would've trusted me, either. I certainly don't LOOK like anyone capable of doing car work, aside from the perma grease under the fingernails. I am pretty small, wear a lot of makeup, and have multi-colored hair.... Not sure I can be taken seriously baking a loaf of bread let alone taking my car apart (and for the record, I can't bake worth a shit anyways... so you'd better not take me seriously)

But then I lifted the hatch to show him round one, and explained that I have taken this car apart before - a few times in the front, actually, and it wouldn't take me long, and I wouldn't need help. He nodded his head and agreed and asked when I could come to the shop next. I said Sunday.... meaning today, this Sunday....

Then...

Yesterday I went to work at 6:30 as always. Preparing to work my usual 11 hour Saturday shift at Toyota. Did some tires, oil changes, a belt... ya know, my typical bitch work. I was in the middle of doing an inspection on a 2006 Corolla that had been rear-ended... looking up... when suddenly I felt dizzy and nauseous...... I felt the shop go dark... and I fell to the floor. I must've come to right away because I looked around and no one had noticed me... thank god, that would have been so embarrassing. I sat up, grabbed onto the lift and pulled myself to my feet and slowly made my way to the bathroom where I proceeded to throw up my breakfast and lay on the floor for about 20 minutes or so. I made it back out to finish up the car and write a full report, but had a lot attendant drive it out for me. I got permission to go home, somehow drove myself the 8 miles back to my little apartment, and have been laying in bed ever since.... I could hardly move, and my whole body was trembling... no... violently shaking.... I am not sure why. My arms and legs went numb and I felt like electricity was being shocked through my head. I had to call my room mate to come turn on my heated blanket for me and turn up the heat.... I couldn't move, I was frozen...

I called the body shop to inform them that I wouldn't be able to make it out today. After I hung up the phone, my stomach felt like ten times worse.

This morning I am doing a little better. Sleeping for 14 hours probably helped that. I wonder if my body is telling me that I have to take a break?? But I can't.... I am not sure that I know how to.... I am at least sitting up and typing this for you all to read, but I can't sit up yet...

Hopefully I will feel good enough this afternoon to walk over to the shop where my rabbit is and finish up the last bit of wiring, bleed the brakes, and install that coolant flange that I cracked when I was installing the motor....

More to come later.....

757_supra

Ich bin das boost!
Mar 3, 2012
US
Wow. Major props for so much Supra love, and best of luck on its way back to recovery.