Supra + Faye = Love. My first build thread. (beware, picture heavy...)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Alright, I never thought I would actually do this, but I feel like I owe it to my car, myself, and all of you out there who have been in my situation before.

I will start from the beginning...

My name is Faye, and I am 27 years old, and.... a car freak who is totally new to cars. Took me a while to get over stereotypes and actually pick up a wrench and start doing what I have wanted to do for so long but was scared to.... and now I am catching up with the rest of all of you. I bought my first set of tools at the Sears Father's Day tool sale in 2010, when the motor blew up in my 1980 VW Rabbit. Now I work at Broadway Toyota doing tires and changing oil - not glamorous, but I get a discount on genuine Toyota parts.

Annnyyyyyway, I had been wanting a Supra for years.... YEARS! I actively began my search over 2 years ago. I test drove over 2 dozen Supras. Turbo, na, auto, 5 speed, targa, etc., EVERYTHING, and I kept an open mind. I found the perfect one for me last December, test drove it twice, and bought it.... it barely made it home. Spent a while tinkering, blindly throwing parts, resealing, tuning up.... and eventually turned her into a daily driver. She was ugly.... fading paint, peeling clear coat, a fender in primer, bumper a different color, and a front lip zip tied in place, and interior mostly gone minus 2 front seats and some dash .... but I loved her.

I hadn't driven her 18 days when I got a little out of control on an offramp and ended up flying over a median and into another lane of traffic.... then into the breakdown lane. My heart was racing..... and I couldn't believe that I managed to save it and not wreck into something... Until then I was hit from behind by a 2013 Ford SUV... in an attempt to avoid from hitting me (I guess) or maybe he was just freaked out, the driver swerved and ended up right behind me and smashed into me.... Augh.....

p1979135_1.jpg

p1979135_2.jpg

p1979135_3.jpg

I spent the entire summer ENTIRE SUMMER.... rebuilding the damage that had been done. My insurance company looked at my car, thought "1989 Toyota... yeah right, crazy girl" Barely got $1000 for it, and had a branded title. Bought it back of course, and spent a bit of the money on the parts car. I stripped the whole thing down to bare metal in places, cut, welded, cute welded, seam sealed, prepped, primed, body work... Body work is so not my thing, or what I ever imagined myself doing, but I put everything that I had into that car. Ended up spending more than I got from the wreck, but saved a ton by doing the work myself, aside from the final final spray. I found a painted to do it after hours, and he barely made a thing on the deal after renting the booth off the clock. I don't like other people getting involved in my projects, I always end up disappointed when someone other than myself touches any of my cars....

p1979135_4.jpg
(If my mother only saw how I spent my money.... like on this piece of junk... she'd wonder if I listened to all that financial advice she gave me when I was young haha)

p1979135_5.jpg

Thanks, donor Supra...
p1979135_6.jpg

p1979135_7.jpg

p1979135_8.jpg

(good look at the original paint right there....)

p1979135_9.jpg

Basically just cut out the spot welds and followed the natural body lines of the car. Filled in some dings and dents, the scratch down the side where someone had keyed my car, etc., etc.

p1979135_10.jpg

p1979135_11.jpg

p1979135_12.jpg

p1979135_13.jpg

After paint:
p1979135_14.jpg

p1979135_15.jpg

Reassembling all those stupid little trim pieces, trying not to brake anything... resealing Targa top
p1979135_16.jpg

I did all of the work right here, in this gravel driveway. Not even mine, I live in a tiny apartment. My shit is spread out all over the place.
p1979135_17.jpg

Well, anyways after that ordeal, I had her up and back on the road just in time to head up to Import Face off and take an epic Supra cruise, and meet some awesome people. I was really proud to have one of the cleanest mk3s on the road...

Look at that lovely engine bay!!
p1979135_18.jpg

How can I not be proud as shit of that!!!!

Just got the car clear bra'ed at work... The Toyota detail department is amazing, btw. I actually trusted one of the guys to put his hands on my car (though I wouldn't let him drive it haha)
p1979135_19.jpg

Now, here comes the painful part....

So, a couple weeks ago, I was doing some spirited driving... I have a favorite drift hill that I will drive 2-3 times a week. Mostly on an as-needed basis to blow off some steam, feel a rush, you know, stupid kid stuff... anyhow, this particular day, everyone was scraping ice off of their windows, and yet I thought it was a good idea to drive my drift hill on my sticky summer tires.

Hit a patch of ice on the second corner....

And into a wall I went...

p1979135_20.jpg

p1979135_21.jpg

p1979135_22.jpg

There goes $800 worth of wheel right there... D': My beautiful 3 piece Panasport G7s...

p1979135_23.jpg

Not a single body panel was left in tact... I hit the wall on the pass front, spun around and hit the rear, and went into a ditch. I managed to drive her out, but barely. Steam blowing up from the damaged radiator, pieces of fan wedged up into weird places in the engine bay, inner fender well touching the engine, bye-bye nice intercooler and piping on that side too.... my brand new adjustable trailing arms dragging on the ground behind me..... Ohhhhh I was beside myself...

p1979135_24.jpg

(before, duh.)

Took the next day off of school and work, and laid on my floor just feeling sorry for myself, hating my stupidity, and coming up with solutions. I didn't sleep that night, just searched craigslist, supra forums, and everything looking for a new shell. Had to be ice blue pearl, had to be like mine.... had to be a post 89 so I could have my favorite tail lights and I could swap the front bumper over again...

I was carless for a couple weeks. I got rides to school and work, then from work to my friends shop where I worked on finishing the engine swap on my other car.... (I have 4, and none currently can move under their own power....) I would walk home at 2 in the morning from the shop, cold and tired as fuck, and had to wake up at 5am to get to school on time. I don't think I have slept much since that day.

Found a few good shells, but despite my best efforts, couldn't seem to give up any part of the car.... I have the VIN tattooed on my wrist for fucks sake, this is MY CAR and I have to rebuild it... again.... only this time major damage to the frame....

So, now I realize that I will probably have a bunch of you telling me that it would be better to get a new shell, but I am stubborn as shit, and I have made up my mind.... I realize that this route to getting a Supra back on the road is going to take more time, more money, and a shit ton more work than if I were to just swap my good parts into someone else's car... but I am a female, so I am not rational. And this is MY car, and I wrecked it, so I have to fix what I have broken.

Here she is, as of this morning.... Snow covered, waiting for me to start taking her apart again....

p1979135_25.jpg

p1979135_26.jpg

So, watch me start over, and build her up again if you'd like.....

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Wow, sorry to see the damage.

I wish you luck on the rebuild. It's def a lot of work, but I can understand the connection. To some of us, it's more than 'just a car'.

GL!

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
My 89 targa did drift really well, but I never lost control of it, unless I had room to do so. In any case, that's not what the car is meant for. It's fun, I know, but definitely not what it's for. :( sad to see a nice car so banged up

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Insidious Surmiser;1979144 said:
My 89 targa did drift really well, but I never lost control of it, unless I had room to do so. In any case, that's not what the car is meant for. It's fun, I know, but definitely not what it's for. :( sad to see a nice car so banged up

We all have our reasons for owning these cars: you have yours, and I have mine.
Sad now, yes... I should know I spent the first week after fighting off tears at work.... But I will fix her again and make her better than before. I had missed a few things the first time around. We will both be better in the end for it.....

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I get what its like to be emotionally tied to your Supra... My friends have asked me for over a decade, why i still own it and spend money on it... BUT...I might suggest that its cheaper to have a tattoo shop modify your vin tat, rather than fix everything that's wrecked on your Supra. I was expecting you to use your first parts car as a shell, but now, i highly suggest going that route. Even if you straighten the frame, there's still the chance that it won't drive the same as it did...

Ps- looks like i used the same color donor as you did.

p1979157_1.jpg

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Gonna go ahead and throw this out there. I can drive on ice. :icon_bigg It's usually pretty slow. Luckily in these parts we don't have to deal with slick spots too much. But I drive for a living, so it's my responsibility to do so no matter the conditions, and know what I'm doing.

Anyhow, it can be done, but it's not fun. Rather stressful as a matter of fact.

Funny thing is. My employer won't shut down until the couriers are sliding off the road, and getting stuck on hills, ect.

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I can drive on ice as well. Drive for a living as well. The last time the roads iced over we were still required to make it to work and drive. The only time we didn't work under icy conditions is when the city manager called our job and told to ground our fleet. But then it doesn't ice over here very often.

You totaled your car twice in two years. Have you ever heard of a fellow named Paul Walker? It can happen to anybody.

luckyshay7

Jun 25, 2010
Washington
So you can drive on ice, so can everyone else. It's not comepletely them that loses control, obvisously there are a lot of factors in the situation. Not always are you going to keep control on ice. Oh you're a perfect driver? Every climate, every speed, FWD, AWD, RWD, Cemi, what specifics to run for certain types of driving...etc.

Last edited:

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Faye, just remember; anything can be done with the right amount of determination. Yes buying a new shell is the best option, but like you, I was hard headed as well, and decided to fix mine up, it's doable, just never give your mind a bit to even think about giving up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
dont listen to them Faye, I've rebuilt my car after hitting a deer. no one is perfect at driving, for those of you that drive for a living, everyone had to start at the exact same spot.

rebuild it faye, bring it beyond its former glory. I'll be following the thread and giving advice where I can, it can be done. you are a female so that should piss you off enough that it happened so you never give up on it. the thing I really like about cars is you can almost always rebuild them as long as they don't look like a pretzel.

I've had my car try to kill me a few times as well without driving spirited, ventus rs3s on a steep hill, downshifted to 3rd so the engine didn't lug too bad then boost came on real quick and before I could get off the gas I was swerving left and right in the road. I was praying to whatever that I didn't hit a fence post or an embankment. after that day, if the road looks close to being wet I don't drive my car. 3.91 and my torque makes wet roads dangerous with my extreme summer tires.

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
Faye;1979150 said:
No. You can't drive on ice either.

get-em-how-high-o.gif

I can totally relate to not giving up on a car. It's one of those things people have to experience to understand.

Do you take the car to a road course, 1/4 mile or drift events?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
IndigoMKII;1979181 said:
no one is perfect at driving, for those of you that drive for a living, everyone had to start at the exact same spot.

Starting by taking your car to its limit on public roads with limited driving experience is not the way to do it.