Supra + Faye = Love. My first build thread. (beware, picture heavy...)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
p2065275_1.jpg

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
Billybob9187;2065283 said:
Hey Faye, Can I ask where you got the Bronze colored bolts and nuts that are holding your pulley's on?

I want to say they were just painted or powder coated

scorn

Nov 20, 2015
Houston
Faye, I'm impressed and inspired by your build. I recently purchased an abused 92 that will require a ton of work. After seeing what you brought your car back from, I feel mine is not too bad. Keep up the amazing work!

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Thanks so much for the comments everyone! Sorry for not updating very much... I don't get on the internet too often.

To answer your questions/comments:
Billybob,
I save a lot of hardware from work. Some of the gold bolts that you see, are just gold. They came on rebuild brake calipers made by Centric, I believe. They are 14mm head, and 1.25 thread pitch, so I fit them all over my car. The ones on my pulleys though, are just painted. I have since removed them several times, and have had to touch them up The product is actually a krylon paint pen. I just searched "grafiiti paint marker" on amazon and the paint stays really well! Holds up to my cleaning products at least, but not to wrenches, so I find myself touching them up a bit. I just keep the pain pens in my car at all times, and its not too difficult haha!

Thanks Beals! Wow - that Supra is gorgeous! I wish mine looked that nice, although I wouldn't change the color if mine looked that good! I actually am planning on some Plasti-dip in the future, but it is going to be an interim color. I am eventually going to have the car actually painted the factory 8G2 Ice Blue Pearl that I love so much, but in the meantime, since she lives outside, I do not want her paint to fade on the good sections and then not match the newly painted sections when I have parts redone. I also love the pre-89 front end! The bumper and nose piece on there are temporary, as I am actually working on the ones that I plan on using in the future, THey are just sitting in my bedroom. As you can see, I have a blue and a black/silver parts car! :D

Scorn: thanks so much - seriously appreciated. It has been a really long, hard, road... not gonna lie. Dedication never went south, but definitely have felt defeated many times over. I think I have cried more tears over this car than over any other significant life event... lame, for sure, but she's like my work of art, ya know? A way to express myself through a form that I am somewhat familiar with, so its hard not to take things personally with her. BUT IT IS ALWAYS WORTH IT! Hopefully you will share your progress pictures with all of us so you can inspire me back! :D

supposedbigfoot

Nov 29, 2013
conyers ga
Just read through the whole build. Very impressive so far. I'm glad to see you rebuild instead of just changing cars. Subscribing to this and cant wait to see more.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Soooooo......

WHEELS!!!!

p2069916_1.jpg

My Panasport G7 C5C2s. The ones that I smashed (read back in my thread, or check out the photo album in my profile from my crash)... the center was twisted up so badly, that I had to get entirely new wheels... for parts. Here is the finished product! The paint color that I chose is a factory Mercedes Gold - I believe it is 895 with a sparkle pearl topcoat.

They have been rebarrelled, painted, and refinished by WheelKraft Northwest.... so much more affordable than I ever imagined! Changed the offset in the rear, and the fronts are now my former rears.... definitely had some issues getting home after I put them on... good thing I am somewhat decent at body work :-/

p2069916_2.jpg

p2069916_3.jpg

This will all be hidden with fender flares anyways, but still pretty stoked with how it turned out! :)

Then last weekend, had a Supra work party with Bird and Shawn! Bird has been working on getting everything hooked up on his 7M since the rebuild, and Shawn just seems to provide the great dry location (during a rainstorm) and oversees people's various projects. We also had a Corolla needing the head off, and an Eclipse that needs the motor pulled... wood burning stove going, passing beers around, life is good!!

p2069916_4.jpg

p2069916_5.jpg

Shawn has a sweet fender roller, and let me borrow it... thankfully! :D Definitely helped with the cruise home and that steep, gravel driveway!

And some shameless downtown pictures from Valentine's Day, because, well, I love her. <3

p2069916_6.jpg

p2069916_7.jpg

Bumper is off because I am in the process of fixing a couple of cracks, and also installing my Turbo-A duct. Should be finished at the end of next Toyota Tuesday shop night, so perhaps if I remember, I will post a few more photos for your amusement!!

I have been chasing down a coupe of issues, and... well.. both are related, I believe.

1 ... is that I have a slight mis at idle. Very slight, but I can hear it, feel it, and see the motor rock when it happens. This is slightly more than your typical 7M misfire that I could never seem to get rid of with my old engine. Because of this, she often wouldn't idle perfect, and would take a couple tries to start up in the morning. My (temporary) response to this was to bump up the idle, so she idled at around 1100 RPM for a while.

2 ... is that she is running quite rich, although she throws a lean code. To combat this, I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge, and ... well, it was really hard to read, but seemed high, and not consistent, so I purchased and installed an Aeromotive FPR, which helped a bunch, though she still runs just slightly rich, though reads really lean on my Wideband.

My thinking is that the slight mis is causing unburnt fuel in the exhaust, thus, not being read by wideband, so even though its rich, it thinks its lean, then throwns a bunch of short-term fuel trim at her, making a bad problem worse.

Tried to figure out what the hell is causing this.

After pulling a vacuum line off of the intake manifold... my idle didn't change much. I smoke checked for vacuum leaks and found my EGR vacuum valve smoking... is it supposed to do this? If not, who has a spare? :D

p2069916_8.jpg

I feel like this shouldn't happen, but when I connected the lines, or plugged the lines, nothing changed. Hmm...

Then, I thought maybe the timing was messing things up. I decided to drop my idle back down to 800 rpm and re-time. When I put my timing light on #1 cylinder, however, I noticed that the light was making a weird pattern... like it wasn't sparking like I would have expeced. I swapped the timing light to #6. The light flashing consistently, and bright. I swapped back to #1... totally different. Sporatic, dim, then bright... interesting. Then, I started pulling plug wires to see if Cylinder #1 was to blame for my mis, even though it is not strong enough to be a dead cylinder. Sure enough, although every time I pulled the #1 wire, there was a significant change in idle, it did not affect the engine running as much as the rest.

I tested resistance in the coilpacks. Everything tested great. To be sure, I swapped coil packs around. The misfire stayed in #1.

I freaked out and compression tested. All 6 are perfect across the board. THANK GOD.

I pulled the plugs. In this picture, you can see the difference between cylinder #6 (top) and #1 (bottom)

p2069916_9.jpg

And here is #1 again

p2069916_10.jpg

Just seems like its not getting spark it needs.

Wires are new-ish, I replaced them a few years back. But fuck it, I bought new wires and plugs. I have swapped plugs 3 times now trying to figure out what the hell she likes. In the pictures, you can see she does not like what I have now and how they are gapped. These are NGK BCPR6's gapped to .022. Yuck. Swapping to 7s and gapping to .028 per recommendation from Shawn.

So far, swapped the #1 wire just to see, and it hasn't made much of a difference.

Aside from the inconvenience of the slight mis, after the AFPR and re-time, not much is being affected in terms of how she starts up, runs, and performs. Just my annoyance with her not being perfect.

Will report back once I have swapped all of the plugs and wires, replaced that EGR vacuum valve, and re-timed again once I have dropped the idle further down to reach 800.

-Faye

Attachments

• IMG_4001.jpg
    IMG_4001.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3572.jpg
    IMG_3572.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3998.jpg
    IMG_3998.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 16
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
No, that is not right. A blown EGR vac modulator will cause a miss at light load, plus bad idle. Remove modulator and check that the high temp braided silicone hose connected to exhaust is okay. Also check that EGR valve is not stuck.

You can test EGR modulator with a piece of hose and your mouth. See attached.

Image1.jpg

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
+1^ 3p explained it better than I was about to.

Looking good Faye, I have been drooling over your wheels on IG for a while now. Gold wheels aren't my thing but these are not your standard gold wheels and they WORK.

Jealous of your supra Fam.........No supra group to speak of over here, well no group of any kind really. I found a small group of evo owners but most of them don't do much of their own wrenching.

Last edited:

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
GC89;2070032 said:
+1^ 3p explained it better than I was about to.

Looking good Faye, I have been drooling over your wheels on IG for a while now. Gold wheels aren't my thing but these are your standard gold wheels and they WORK.

Jealous of your supra Fam.........No supra group to speak of over here, well no group of any kind really. I found a small group of evo owners but most of them don't do much of their own wrenching.
Isn't CajunKenny still in your area?

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I think he's around but I thought he sold his car, he's a couple hours from me so its always been tough to find excuses to get together.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
oohhh what a great comeback! and OMFG i really dig those wheels. I think those are top 5 era correct wheels for the mark 3. Kudos!

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
GC89;2070047 said:
I think he's around but I thought he sold his car, he's a couple hours from me so its always been tough to find excuses to get together.
He still has his supra, I stop by every now and then to chat. He actually just purchased an auto repair shop in town too which usually keeps him busy

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Glad to hear he still has it, I need to just give him a call sometime. Maybe plan a central or east side meet for this summer.

Faye, so whats the ETA on your bumper? How bad was it

91TurboDave

Suprafile
Nov 8, 2007
Washington
Faye, I just wanted to say that your second resurrection of your mkiii is truly a testimony to your tenacity and perserverence. I recently had my supra stolen and it was discovered mauled and abused in Beaverton. I nearly cried when my girlfriend told me it had been stolen. I did weep when I went to pick her up after the recovery. Needless to say with the dents, broken off antennae, broken windshield, cut and torn seats, urinated on carpets, and thrashed interior panels from some tweaker who though a rattle can would be a great way to treat a Supra I was distraught. I had resigned to replacing the parts mostly damaged and selling her. After reading your thread filled with trials, tribulations, and triumphs I have changed my pattern of thinking. My girl will be getting a complete resurrection, and it is inspired by your perserverence. Thank you for the thread. I look forward to seeing more, and soon (gotta make room in the garage) I will be starting my own thread. Thank you again for the inspiration. LONG LIVE THE MKIII!

InitialBoss

Feb 9, 2015
SoCal
91TurboDave & GC89 - you guys are making me not want to move to washington. No Supra support groups, Supras getting stolen No love. Lol. Seriously though. Bravo to 91TurboDave for doing the rebuild!

Faye -I am so impressed with your build! Sadly, the Mrs. is wanting me to sell the supra since its taking up space in the garage and is too sick for me to fix. Thank you for your vacuum tube diagrams. I just wish the cylinder head wasnt messed up so I could finish fixing her up. I only got to drive her for one day! I want to keep her but I may buy another in the future. After I sell her, I have plans for another car which will have a 2JZ swap. I can't afford an MK4 but at least I can afford the engine (barely). I'll be able to have some part of the Supra soul, at least.

Keep up the hard work all! I love all the builds!

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Initialboss where in wa are you moving to ? The west side has quite a few of us especially sw Washington we get together often, also I have a couple extra 7m heads that aren't in bad condition (not to thread jack faye)