Supra + Faye = Love. My first build thread. (beware, picture heavy...)

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Faye;2043775 said:
Thank you, bonylad. Doesn't ever hurt to hear it again. I do really tend to forget at times, because I always feel like I'm slackin lol :D I eat sleep and breathe the car. I look forward to checking out your build!

My pleasure Miss.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
p2044182_1.jpg
p2044182_2.jpg
p2044182_3.jpg

Oh happy day.....

Less than 3 months until Supra Nationals... can I make it?? Honestly, a lot depends on how this weekend goes. I vowed that I would not touch this engine until my ASE tests have passed... and my engine bay is prepped for paint. Not looking good for this weekend, but I will do everything that I can.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
So grateful for the most amazing group of people that came out today... Taylor, Ean, and Uschi drove 3 1/2 hours down from Bremerton for 4 hours straight of sanding. Kyle and (9 month pregnant) Ashley from Vancouver, and Aaron came over right after getting off of work at Broadway Toyota, and of course, my Cory :) It's amazing how when you put your best energy and effort out there, that the Universe just lines things up to work in your favor. Having little to no body work experience, we sanded down everything and got the bay completely ready for paint this week - and had an awesome time doing it. Just chillin out behind my shop, blaring tunes from my VW, drinking Saturday beverages and passing the peace pipe B-)

For someone who really fears (and loathes) asking for any sort of help, they were all right there to show me how grateful they were to be a part of such an integral piece of my build. True friends....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p2044522_1.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Yeah, Bogwon but look how good some welders can do;) (plus, bodywork requires welding quite often, as you've seen from my last mishap with this car. :-/)

p2044707_1.jpg

And here is how I left her for the night....

p2044707_2.jpg

p2044707_3.jpg

I love the shadows in this picture, and her wing!

She's hiding because she knows that she's not allowed inside the shop during working hours! But this is a special occasion, because the painter had rented the washbay at my wok for a couple customer projects, and then some personal projects. I am a paying customer of his, so my car gets to sit inside Atomic, and I can stare at her all day! Extra bathroom breaks to break my own neck over that wheel fitment :D Tuesday will be awesome! Then I think he is actually painting her around lunchtime, so I can watch, and so the sun warms the shop and her paint cures well.

The anticipation is killing me...

Now I just have to buy a goddamn headgasket so I can put a motor together and get us to SupraNationals!

And I need to lower my car more, but I have mk4 rear struts :-/ and am bottomed out on them! My shopping list is so long, and I am adding things to it constantly. It takes up a good portion of my South-Facing bedroom wall.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
image.jpg

Test fitted timing belt today! Wound have actually torqued and tensioned but when I went through my bag of bolts and stuff from the machine shop, I realized that my cam pins were missing :( so I have to special order them from the dealer. Damnit!

Went hungry Wednesday and Thursday because I bought my headgasket. Literally had my card declined for $7.12 of food o was hoping to buy Wednesday mornjng.... I get paid shit so I can barely afford to build this thing let alone make it to any of he events this summer. I am currently shooting for Vegas in October.

Been distracted by my boyfriend and his projects.... If I can't make it to nationals I want to help him get there with his supra. Did his timing belt last weekend and built a motor for his Saab (his daily driver) and spent most of the weekend finishing it and preparing to swap it in.

A little discouraged for sure, but progress is being made daily regardless.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Hang in there Faye. All the hard times will be worth it in the end. I think back to all the late nights and sleepless nights because of the car. Whether it was working on it or just stressing over the money/parts, it was always on my mind. Shit, it's still on my mind lol

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Bogwon;2050003 said:
Did you find something to work for your steering rack line Faye?

No, I haven't. I should actually get on Facebook or something but I fucking hate social media. Everyone that I have tried has a different steering rack than me. I think mine may have been swapped at some point since it doesn't leak and doesn't say "TOYODA" on it anywhere. Sadly, I can't fork up the $7.50 "per bend" plus "extra for banjo" to some assholes in Portland to make it for me at the moment.

Who the hell builds a show car on minimum wage?? This crazy human. :-/

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
So... I just stumbled across this thread. It's refreshing to see someone else with near irrational dedication to their Supra. No need for me to repeat everyone else's words, I'll just sum up with this: Amazing.

Really wishing you the best of luck on your build and looking forward to more updates. I do have to say, it blows my mind when I browse the forums and see so many Supra folks in and around Oregon. I lived in Portland for 12 years and saw other MK3s maybe once or twice the entire time. Even though I was mostly a kid while in Oregon, I always had an eye for other Supras. Someday, I hope to bring my Supra back to the NW and visit all of y'all! (can you tell where I live now? haha)

I really hope you get those wheels fixed, I think you commented before on the resemblance our wheels had. It would be a shame to lose those!

One question, why did you decide to go with a different color for the engine bay than the rest of the Supra?

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
lithium14;2050208 said:
So... I just stumbled across this thread. It's refreshing to see someone else with near irrational dedication to their Supra. No need for me to repeat everyone else's words, I'll just sum up with this: Amazing.

Really wishing you the best of luck on your build and looking forward to more updates. I do have to say, it blows my mind when I browse the forums and see so many Supra folks in and around Oregon. I lived in Portland for 12 years and saw other MK3s maybe once or twice the entire time. Even though I was mostly a kid while in Oregon, I always had an eye for other Supras. Someday, I hope to bring my Supra back to the NW and visit all of y'all! (can you tell where I live now? haha)

I really hope you get those wheels fixed, I think you commented before on the resemblance our wheels had. It would be a shame to lose those!

One question, why did you decide to go with a different color for the engine bay than the rest of the Supra?

My boyfriend actually found a set of 2 wheels that are a different offset, but the same model, the Panasport C5C2.

In terms of the engine bay, I always do that with my cars! I usually like to color match engine stuff with the body color, and then have an awesome engine bay. My daily Drive VW has an engine bay the same color as my hair ;) purple and then grey exterior, and many of the cement grey/silver/metal color on the engine of course. I think it looks awesome!

I have always wanted a white engine bay. Gloss white. Looks good with my black and gold theme for the motor.
Thanks for the encouragement :)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Alright, so finally got my parts and got them painted, and my timing belt is DONE. Whew, that took forever. Next were installing freshly rebuilt 550CC injectors and my sparkly gold fuel rail :D

p2050492_1.jpg

p2050492_2.jpg

After the arc spraying, porting, and drilling out broken studs and annihilating 8 drill bits.... then helicoiling.... I discovered a crack in my exhaust manifold. SHITTY. So I had to go fucking BUY a used one from some dude on Craig'sList who wanted entirely too much money, but I was desperate. At least it is on now. Hey, I wanted an excuse to put my factory heat shields on afterall. (not really, but I am going to and hide that ugly thing!)

p2050492_3.jpg

Looks pretty nice!

Now... the frustrating thing is waiting on other people. I have been having a hard time with my R154 rebuild and I have a coworker who has a lot of experience and is willing to help... so he says...., but has blown me off 5 times in the past 4 weeks. I guess its fine since I don't even have a clutch yet... WHICH REMINDS ME.

Clutch suggestions, anyone?
I was talking with JDMfreak about his setup, and he actually went with the opposite of what I was thinking... he has an upgraded disc and factory pressure plate. I was going to go with maybe a factory disc and upgraded pressure plate. Mostly for cost savings, since I can't really afford to drop $500 on a nice clutch kit. I'm building for 400hp but thinking it will be 375ish and I will tune her down for longevity reasons, and I have driven stick my entire life.... but I do not want to pull the trans in a couple of years to do the clutch again from burning it up from too much power or something.

Ideas??! :D

Thanks!
Faye

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
The writing on your belt is backwords! That always bugs me.

What issues are you having with the R154? Just not much gearbox rebuilding experience? They've become a 2 hour process for me, but I've also done a ton. If you don't have it, I have .pdf copies of the repair manuals.

Factory disc and upgraded plate. RPS did it for years and years for the 2J supras so you'd be well off there.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Its forwards when my hood is off and I am looking at it;) My boyfriend hates it too! HAHAHA I do not have a clear timing cover, because I cannot afford one, so you'll never see any of this anyways.

Awesome, Raven, thank you!! What I was planning on anyways but I really like the affirmation.

I have the factory repair manual for the trans. My problem is everything spins great, but when I install the front bearing retainer which pre-loads everything, nothing spins.