Supra + Faye = Love. My first build thread. (beware, picture heavy...)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
[video=youtube;fZY58DNZhBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZY58DNZhBE[/video]

[video=youtube;Q5CUowjLG10]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5CUowjLG10[/video]

[video=youtube;pVrFxaNnhdg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVrFxaNnhdg[/video]

:)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Sorry for the lack of writing, I tend to work myself into the ground during the day, then just come home and pass out... no time for the internet. Those of you who follow me on Instagram have a much better idea of the past 6 months or so of my Supra build. Currently, I have taken a (maybe needed?) break from wrenching due to a broken right wrist... doctor told me no pushing, pulling, or twisting for 6 weeks. The fact that my Supra is home and could run and drive anywhere at any time is comforting enough that I am no longer freaking out over my lack of progress.

I feel like I have so much filling in to do. In my last "real" post, I told you all how I had spent my entire paycheck on my headgasket... dumpster diving for food and riding my bike to work for a few days was well worth the sacrifice. A lot changed for me after that last post; especially at work. My boss had a baby and hired a general manager to run the place, and he has been doing so since the winter. After getting to know me, I got my first review, and got a raise, and the whole shop went to a bonus program at work. My shop, Atomic Auto, is the only place I have ever worked as a mechanic and been paid hourly.We are still hourly, but we now get a flat-rate bonus. My hourly pay increased by an average of $8 after that, so affording parts has been less of an issue for me.

My last boyfriend (who also has a supra) and I parted ways, so I suddenly had time to really devote to my Supra, instead of his projects. Also saved money from not having to drive 600 miles every other weekend. Sad at the time, but definitely a positive change.

I still have quite a bit of work to do on my Supra. She isn't running great, and I found out just how poorly when I attempted to Dyno her at PRE's Dyno Day last weekend... she overfueled so badly that they gave me my credits back and said "come dyno after you tune her" ... fair enough! And she burned my eyes when I stood behind her to take video:

[video=youtube;IzGXT3HgmhA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzGXT3HgmhA[/video]

I currently need to put my Lexus AFM back on, and am in the market for good FPR and Apexi Neo.... ;) these are in progress.....

Overall, getting to this point, I hit a million and a half rod blocks. Mostly from my own brain fatigue, I am sure. Most days, I would work 9-10 hours and still try to put in good work on the Supra after hours, no dinner, no break. Being in my huge shop alone, where it is all empty, dark, quiet.... and often still full of cars that I had to finish the next day didn't do my brain much good. It's amazing I was able to accomplish anything at all.

So, some updates now, and some random things to talk about...

I finally chose a clutch.. went with driftmotion's upgraded pressure plate and stock Toyota disc. Absolutely loving it so far...

p2062232_1.jpg

And realized that I already had an ACT flywheel... sweet!!

p2062232_2.jpg

Shameless post of me prepping the motor for install ^_^

p2062232_3.jpg

p2062232_4.jpg

p2062232_5.jpg

Looked so good after first seeing the motor sitting in there:

p2062232_6.jpg

The transmission was the hardest part for me. I literally ripped it apart and put it back together 3 times. I also had one of my coworkers give me a hand, and try to help me out (I am also still a little intimidated by our shop press.... haven't gotten over my fear of it yet, or the spring compressor...) so I actually had help every time. Thanks, Loyd! I should share some pictures, because it's kind of crazy.

p2062232_7.jpg

p2062232_8.jpg

Here's re-assembling it, the first time:

p2062232_9.jpg

I actually had taken a term of tech school a few years ago, when I applied for a program here in Portland that paid for technical training for women in "trades" ... whatever the f*ck that means. Anyways, I had taken a class on Manual and Automatic transmissions, so I thought it would be cake.

The final time I got the thing reassembled, I thought for sure everything was great, it went through all the gears, and life was good, but after I got it in the car, I wasn't able to get it to engage in any gears. Thinking that maybe after I put gear oil in it and applied some power, it would go back to shifting fine like it had on my workbench, I went forward with installing it onto my engine and dropping it into my car. Took another weekend to hook everything up on the engine, fill cooling system, connect wiring, fuel, vacuum lines, etc, and finally turn the car over to realize I was stuck in gear. Several days of frustration later, and a really shitty Friday where every car that I touched ended up being a clusterf*ck of madness, I pounded some energydrinks and ripped the transmission out again. I scraped the paint on the back of my firewall removing it, and our tranny jack is less than optimal at the shop, so what did I expect ?? but you can't even see it. Anyways, I gave up and brought my R154 to a transmission shop.

p2062232_10.jpg

p2062232_11.jpg

When they had it all torn apart, I guess I had swapped syncros from 2 hubs... "It would have been so easy for you to fix it if you had just taken in apart" the guy at the trans shop said, "It would have jumped right out at you!" ... fair enough, but I had given up so I just let him take my money.

Other things that were fun, I had gotten an upgraded alternator from a 1JZ in trade (I didn't really want/need, but figured it would be cool to install and see if it did anything!) So I had a machine shop bore out the inner diameter of my 7M pulley to fit on the 1J alt, found a connector from a Toyota Camry to fit (different plugs on the alternator) and took a trip to the hardware store with a lousy sketch of the tensioner I wanted to build:

p2062232_12.jpg

I need to find some more pictures of it installed with the tensioner and stuff...

Some other fun stuff:

You may remember my engine bay looking like this:

p2062232_13.jpg

I never really thought my engine bay was ugly, I just thought that the cheap eBay intercooler kit was tacky as hell, though I didn't feel like spending money on an upgrade... it would be short-lived, afterall, since I am hoping for an FFIM, and I will redo the intercooler piping then.

In interim, I thought a custom 3000 pipe would work well! And though I can weld, I opted to pay a professional to tig the cast 3000 pipe to the thin charge piping.

p2062232_14.jpg

p2062232_15.jpg

p2062232_16.jpg

I think the end result turned out pretty well!

p2062232_17.jpg

p2062232_18.jpg

Couldn't be more stoked on my first cruise... thanks to my bestie Natasha for this rolling shot :D

p2062232_19.jpg

Life is good!!

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
SeeUSmile;2062245 said:
So mint!!! loving it! Oh what ended up being the problem with the tranny? going to be doing that to my tranny soon and hopefully don't round up doing the samething

If you check out the photo of the close-up of my reverse hub... The issue originally is that it would pop out of first gear. During rebuild, I just upgraded everything that I knew to be common failures on the R154... The first gear thrust washer, first gear shift fork, etc. ... All nice Marlin crawler stuff :) I did have issues with fitting the washer... I had to grind down the pin.

The issue was that I swapped syncros from 2 hubs... :-/ lol so as long as you pay attention... (And don't just rip open the packages in excitement and litter your workbench with unorganized parts, then you should be fine!!!)

And thanks everyone for the positive feedback.... And sorry for the loads of photos :"D

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Really love the way that 3k pipe turned out and you're able to use the mounting spots for the PCV piping too! Lets go for a cruise soon, I'll bring my camera!

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Bogwon, I would love nothing more. Need my dumb wrist to heal up and then I am so down!! Actually, fuck it. I can drive fine. I am down whenever!!

The rest of you: thank you! Brandon, I had to find one, mine never came with it. Maybe that's why I think it's the coolest thing ever.

Supraguy, I still have so much left to go. But I appreciate your kindness. Thank you!

Also: not sure why people fear posting on my build thread, but I have gotten a random influx of questions and comments to my inbox here on SM and also my Instagram about this build thread... for the benefit of everyone, I am going to answer all of the questions here, though I also responded privately to everyone.

Q:Why did you choose to keep the 7M?
A: I answer this question on a daily basis. Someone on this forum has a sig that I love: something to the affect of "99% of the time the weak link in the mk3 is the owner" they may of may not have been referring to the 7M, but I feel like I deserve to give the stock motor a fighting (educated) chance. I have a ways to go to get mine to the point of fairly powerful and reliable, but I am trying my best to take my time and do it right. I am over building everything, yet tuning her down. You may have noticed I do not post "power goals" (yes, I did put her on the dyno but that was fun and free) because I do not have any. I have crashed her twice, she is powerful enough for me. My modifications are based on reliability and small power increases if anything. Part of me feels like a motor swap is a cop out, and this is not meant in any way to belittle the incredible builds out there with non-stock motors. There are so many amazing 1J and 2J builds out there, mine is just not going to be one of them right now. I am not against motor swaps. After rebuilding the motor in my daily driver 3x, I decided it was time to swap for reliability. I totally understand that route and may take it someday, I just want to come to that conclusion by myself on my own terms, after trying my best with this motor. Please respect my decision, though I invite criticism and suggestion always.

Q: Why didn't you just buy a new shell?
A: Go back and read. Or not.... I didn't because I think that is a cop-out. The damage done to my car was because I was careless, and wasn't paying attention. This car is more important to me that eating, sleeping, or wearing clean clothes, so I should have known better. Part of me felt like I owed it to myself to go through the motions to repair the car to fully understand the damage that I had done. Part of me felt like I owed it to the car. Either way, after all of the body work and the full engine rebuild, I feel like I actually OWN the car. Before, I was just driving someone else's project that I got to run well. Big deal, I make cars run well for a living.

Q: Did you rebuild the car because you have the VIN tattooed on your wrist?
A: No. Regardless of whether I scrapped the car, the VIN is on my body because my car tells part of my story. I kept the shell and chose to straighten the frame, etc. because of reasons above ^^

Q: (I get this question all the time) Do you do all your own work?
A: yes. Absolutely. Unless I specifically post credit to someone else, (since there is nothing I hate more than doing work for someone who then turns around and says "look what I did!") all work done is by... yes, me. I know I have boobs. I also do this for a living. Get over it, not a big deal.

Q: I see you have all new vacuum lines! How did you make them look like that and did you replace them all?
A: Of course I replaced them all, I am OCD...... and they are actually a volkswagen fuel line. I chose them because of the durability and rigidity (most "bulk" vacuum lines are the same as washer fluid hose and collapse easily and will react poorly to petroleum contamination) I bought some in bulk years ago to replace fuel return lines on my daily driver. You can get this from any German/European auto parts store. I got mine from Halsey Imports in Portland, OR. You can also get it online. They come with the soft braided exterior. I did not wrap them.

Q: Can you help me fix my Supra?
A: Sure. If you do not have my personal phone # that means you're not a friend so you can reach me 8-5 at Atomic Auto in Portland. I work on a lot of Supras. If you have specific questions, please post them here so everyone can benefit, or argue with me, or teach me a thing or 2 ;)

Q: Where did you get the gold wrap?
A: Wire loom: eBay and the brake line tape.... Mishimoto. I would not recommend it to anyone. The adhesive is so poor, it does not even stick to itself. Mishimoto was cool, and when I showed them the result of tape installation, they sent me a couple new rolls. That's great, but it still didn't stick. I wrapped all of the heat tape in gold wire, like I do to my dreadlocks when they come unravelled. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy this tape. Even at formula Drift, all of the drift cars with the gold tape.. every single one was peeling up. Bad adhesive. I wrapped the lined because I removed the heat shields. The heat shields were there for a reason, so if they were gonna go, something had to be in their place.

Q: Why did she run like shit in your YouTube video?
A: Because my timing was slightly off. I had replaced the tps and had to recalibrate and also my cam sensor wasn't the most awesome. I also had to burp the coolant so suspect that the coolant temp sensors weren't fully submerged, but whatever. She is fine now, so leave me alone ;)

Q: What do you use for coolant?
A: Factory Toyota Red... in all my cars. Even the VW.

Q: Why are you running so rich in your dyno video?
A: Stock AFM and 550cc injectors. Lexus AFM is on there now and currently shopping for good piggyback. If you have an Apexi Neo for sale let me know :D

There were a couple more, but I didn't feel like writing any more. Anyways, do not hesitate to post questions here, I will likely respond to the faster. No question is a stupid question, though I could see how you might feel that way after reading lot of responses on this forum from the OGs. I do not care. Ask a stupid question and I will still answer it. (as you can see)

And for fun, and to keep with my "beware, picture heavy" title... here are some sweet photos of her moving under her own power!!!

First real cruise: 150 miles in the Columbia River gorge. I love living in the PNW.

p2062554_1.jpg

Ugly car, pretty engine:

p2062554_2.jpg

Red Door Meet in Portland, Oregon (every Sunday 6pm under the Burnside Bridge) You can see my smiling face in my rearview...

p2062554_3.jpg

Sweet engine bay pic someone took at Red Door:

p2062554_4.jpg

And......

Just for some more inspiration for myself....

What she used to look like after the epic body work/rear end replace/summer of endless body work...
And what she will look like again.....

p2062554_5.jpg

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
Faye;2062323 said:
If you check out the photo of the close-up of my reverse hub... The issue originally is that it would pop out of first gear. During rebuild, I just upgraded everything that I knew to be common failures on the R154... The first gear thrust washer, first gear shift fork, etc. ... All nice Marlin crawler stuff :) I did have issues with fitting the washer... I had to grind down the pin.

The issue was that I swapped syncros from 2 hubs... :-/ lol so as long as you pay attention... (And don't just rip open the packages in excitement and litter your workbench with unorganized parts, then you should be fine!!!)

And thanks everyone for the positive feedback.... And sorry for the loads of photos :"D

ahhh i see my bad couldn't comprehend the 2 syncros part from the last post. Cheers!!

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I'm going to have to check out that vw fuel line. That would match all of my black braided lines for fuel.

Props on the 7M principals, I have the same mindset and the just swap it mentality really gets to me. Especially with the new crowd on the facebook groups, Swapping a JZ series does not mean you can skip a a proper build, tune or maintenance.

Followed you on IG as well.