Mr.Yuk's Swap/Build

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
[/COLOR]This weekend got the Tach to function and installed my better condition temp control unit. And got the radio properly installed.
Buuuuuuuut,
Better condition temp control unit has a flickering light issue when ever it's slightly jostled, requiring a slight tap to the side of the center console to correct.:3d_frown:
Also, Properly installed radio... no longer produces the tunage. Might have a too long of a screw issue. I didn't secure the stereo to the brackets.. but the one (who shall remain nameless at this time lest they make themselves known ;)) who did might have been using trim screws -ergo- possibly grounding something out or nipping an internal component:nono:
Discovered a "leaking" coolant hose (hose at the back of the head leading to valve) Ordered a new one, and STEVE noted that my Fail-Pro exhaust manifold gasket is already blown out. Sigh
Installed MOMO wheel.
not bad, not great. Decent. But hey, I have a working tach now! and this weekend I should be able to fix leaky hose and will change plugs. Just need to work up ambition to change exhaust manifold gasket or just wait until I do a turbo upgrade this winter.:naughty:

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
After the last impromptu Supra meet, Got a working window switch from Rob and got some hatch interior bits from Emilio.
So far I've also dissasembled my knock off SSQV and discovered who ever put it together decided to glue some parts together that shouldn't have been. Still have an oil leak, but I have narrowed it down to the oil pan, so that's a project for this winter amongst other things.
Also, caught the pops hooning a bit in my Sup... lols abound

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
you can do the oil pan in car, it's really not that hard. jack car up and set on jack stands. disconnect sway links, disconnect shocks, remove 4 nuts and 2 bolts securing subframe to body, disconnect 2 nuts holding engine to subframe. use an engine hoist to hold the engine floating in the bay. using jack, lower the subframe. don't even have to remove the brake lines or steering linkage.

from there, disconnect the rear brace going across the front subframe. remove the tranny support wings and lower cover. then the million screws holding the pan to the engine (lol). then drop the pan. done.

it's really NOT that bad :)

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
^^^^ LOL you left out prying the damn thing off the block politely so as not to bend the rails (too) much.
I had to work in a stainless full tang 2" paint scrapper blade all around before mine let go, and that was after the screw driver prying lip/rubber mallet to pan combo to see if it'd "pop" off.

If you do bend the lip, just remove the damned pan and straighten that lip by putting the pan rails down on plywood, and with the end of a 2x4 work around the pan a little at a time, working into the biggest bends from the closest to flat portions.

A cup brush on a die grinder is freakin awesome for removing the silicone/FIPG that won't scrap off by normal means. It doesn't handle chunks as well, so no short cut here.
And you get to remove clean the block rails with a razor Hehe :)

The sealant by the name of 'Right Stuff' is really tacky and you can practically just stick it right to the block after applying it to the pan TSRM style!
Please do a dry fit first to check pan rail squareness.

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Duly noted. I did use FIPG when sealing the oil pan initially, but i started running thin towards the end. Maybe when I do the suspension stuffs I will do the oil pan, as that would make sense lol

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Supra is now parked for the winter. Time to start amassing parts for Suspension build, Turbo upgrade, and leak fixes.

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Nothing really new, Just picked up some upgraded I/C stuff from Emilio, waiting to find some heat so I can start installing.

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Not much new to report. And a complete lack of pics for now...
Bought a Reman rack, Some Lowering Springs and new Monroes for all four corners. I guess Monroe (according to our info and rep) Has changed the valving in their import shocks and struts, so... for what they cost me, I decided to experiment. Guess they were developed with help of the SCCA, so... yeah. We shall see.

On a warmer day two weeks ago, drove the 'Sup to scratch the itch a bit, and swung out to Rob's and we installed a new clutch master cylinder. We meaning he got the annoying nut taken care of lol

Thats all for now. Will try to post pics of new parts soon.

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Ok so.. After finding a bit of a fuel tank leak... tis been fixed.
so the tale of the tape reads as such thus far:
New Struts all around
Eibach lowering springs
New Rack
Re-Sealed oil pan
GTE fuel pump and such
Fixed leaky gas tank
New sway bar links
Brought hard-pipe to welder
Had a few Drinks
Negotiated trade for Wide-Band
Alignment to be done
Fixed broken wires

Hope to make it to the meet at Suprasport for the first time ever with the car and myself being there at the same time.
Hope.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Woo AND Hoo! Id check your alignment adjustments prior to bringing in for an alignment...all of mine were seized x.x

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Drew, Sounds like significant progress. If you need to put her up on the hoist, give me a text. I am still not sure if I am going on Saturday. If I do, it will be with the BMW. Supra is almost ready to rock though.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Mr.Yuk;1699554 said:
Shouldn't be an issue Mr. Steve, remember, my car has already been aligned :)

Well herr de derr :p
Sounds like I'm the only one who has to deal with rust here in Minnesota ...on my Cali car x_x

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
toyotanos;1699796 said:
Well herr de derr :p
Sounds like I'm the only one who has to deal with rust here in Minnesota ...on my Cali car x_x
I am just really blessed with the fact that my pops is GREAT with front end work.
Thanks for the offer Dan, but looks like everything should be fine for now.
Now when I get her back... then comes putting in all the "new" I/C bits and Sean's wideband