Megasquirt thread: Megasquirt and You

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Why not just use the cable you already have and just put this sleeving over it? As long as you ground the sleeve, it would be a good shield against noise. You could run it over the cam, crank, knock, and tps sensor wires and that would really make a huge difference to lower the noise. Just a thought...

Edit: This website has a better deal. I get quite a bit from these guys.

Last edited:

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
So i was thinking about getting the Megasquirt PNP DIY kit for $425, has anyone dealt with these for the mk3?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Which engine? 7m I'm guessing.

The diy pnp is ms2. Can only do 4 seq ignition and with an upgrade can only do semi seq for fuel. For 7m that would work.

tysen

Jan 20, 2012
muskoka
Ricoboost. You had the group buy that didn't take off regarding the pnp ecu's?? Anyone have experience with this product??

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
what are the prices like for the plug and play from perfecttuning.net on that unit ricoboost?

tysen

Jan 20, 2012
muskoka
Yes. Same guy. DIYautotune said they would do a group buy for the 1jz. Now I know there are differences in ecu connector pins. But an initial question to them inquiring about my jza70, they said in a group buy of 10,
"They'd probably be around $839 retail, with group buy members getting $100 off. So you'd have a down payment of $300 and a second payment of $439, plus shipping"

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Small MS3 update. Sounds like the latest beta firmware releases are about to become a stable release.. There will be one more preAlpha and it will contain a coil dwell control based on load. I'm pretty excited for that.

sulikcassidy

Jan 22, 2012
Europe
Hello guys,

i got a question about the MSx and MS3pro ECU´s.
Here is my actual setup:

-stock 1JZ
-440cc JDM injectors
-SAFC 2
-Walbro fuel pump
-FMIC + BOV
-Holset HE351CW
-40mm ext wastegate
-4" downpipe with 100CPSI cat into dual 3" exhaust

I want to upgrade my setup with some goodies:

-dual Bosch 044 + fuel lines
-1200 injectors
-LQ coils
-MT swap

I´m very interested in the MS3 ECU but i´m not sure which one i should get/ which one is the "best" for me.
Here is my list of the functions i want to use:

1. I want to run Flex fuel
Both of them can run it with an external FF-Sensor like GM or Zeitronix.

2. I like the safety feature the ProEFI called "fuel pressure conpensation"
I have read that it can be used with a fuel/pressure sensor and the right configuration.

I´m not sure if i NEED the knock control feature of the MS3pro...
Diyautotune are selling an upgrade knock module kit for the MS3x so i can get this feature for less money.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/ms3-knock-module-kit-p-522.html

So what do you guys think will the MS3x will do the job for me?
MS3x + knock control + flex fuel sensor.

Don´t get me wrong i don´t want to be super cheap, i want the right ECU for my setup -that´s it. :)
Why should i get the Pro when i don´t use all the features?

I hope that you can point me in the right direction. :)

Thanks people.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would just get the ms3 pro and run a new harness. By far it's the best bang for the buck and comes with everything. No modding needed.

If your good at wiring you can by the ms3 pro board and stuff it into a stock Ecu box and make it pnp. Honda box has the plugs for a jza70 and a 1mzfe box has the plugs for soarer and chaser.

I have the ms3x with knock control board. 3x or pro your better off using a wideband knock sensor over the stock resonance sensors.

I havnt looked for a fuel pressure sensor for ms. But with quality injectors like some id1000 and a good tune it's prolly not nessaccary.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
sulikcassidy;1985132 said:
Why should i get the Pro when i don´t use all the features?

Because you will. Once you have the ecu installed you start to realize all the things you can do, its nice to have it all. The one advantage that Pro has over the MS3X, is all the features are enabled and there no jumpers to run ever. You do have to use an external MAP sensor, but thats commmon place in most stand alones. I ran flex for a while and was very happy with it, Im now running staged injection and as a whole, much happier with that route.

I know there is a pwm table to fuel pump control and closed loop operation, but I would have to go get my tuning laptop to see the latest features. But MS does have an AFR shut down feature too.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
3x and pro can both have the same features. Only thing you have to add on the 3x is the knock control. Everything else is already there.

I'd prefer to have an external map as well. Much easier to run 3 wires in a harnes than a long hose. Plus faster response.

sulikcassidy

Jan 22, 2012
Europe
Okay i will get the Pro ECU. :)

My eyes are bleeding because there is so much stuff to read about MS out there...
The good thing is that my buddy is a MS tuner too.
He runs it on his track R33 GTR and S15 too, and he´s very pleased with it.

White Zombie

Feb 1, 2007
Hampton , VA
I also have a question. I had my 7m running on MS2, using fords EDIS ignition from a homemade 36-1wheel using IS300 coil packs. So obviously I'm running waste spark.

Well - I'm joining the 2JZ bandwagon , a little reluctantly I might add. And I was thinking I could use the 1jz crank sensor to fire my EDIS system. I understand that I would have to make a 36-1 wheel that fits where the stock one used to be.

But will making a wheel that small be too small for the sensor to "see" ? I mean everyone that runs a 36-1 wheel uses these HUGE f'ing wheels on the front of the crank . Does this have something to do with lack of fab skills or is it an electronic type issue ?

Thanks in advance.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
1jz and 2jz crank sensors are the same.

Also that's pretty much a waste of 2jz as they come wired for sequential from the factory. Better of switching to ms3x or pro. Can even make a patch harness to the stock 2jz hanress. Much easier.

Unless you are running a 2jzge then you could just use a 7m cps and have a crank and cam signal.

If you want the edis setup I don't believe it matters how big it is. The 2jzge Vvti uses a 24 tooth gear and they are pretty small. So fitting another 14 teeth on there is going to be pretty hard. The bigger wheel will give better resolution.