Megasquirt thread: Megasquirt and You

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Is there anything in the documents notes in the .zip? along the way with the beta releases there was some settings that didnt paste over from the last tune. Im running full sequential on the current code.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i plan on finally getting some engine management. what megasquirt setup do you guys recommend? here's my mods so far, and what i will have....
stock 7m, lex afm, 550's, bic ddp, full 3" exh, and stock ct26.
i will be going to oversized probes, probably a 60-1 from albert, and possibly stage 2 cams.
i'm looking for 400-450 wheel. if i want any more i'll go with a new t4 setup.
thanks......

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Was anew feature. All works well on the car.

Depends what you want. A ms3 or ms3 pro wired for sequential is the best option.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
ok. a friend installed one on a 90 supra and he had to go with ford? coils, and some other things. is that normal? i guess i just want to do it right the first time, and be able to upgrade down the road.
thanks..

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Thats the beauty of Megasquirt. You could run your stock coil packs with igniter, stock sensors and injectors, and upgrade as you need.

I would definatly go the MS3 route, and so your not cut short later would do MS3x or the Pro right from the start. MS3 is feature packed and youll end up finding uses for most of it.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Hey guys I finally saved up enough for a stand alone and have a few questions. Is the MS3 pro (believe same dimensions as the MS3 but shallower) small enough to fit where the stock ecu is, or do the plugs interfere with the glove box? If it doesn't fit where did you all mount your MS3/MS3 pro ecu's? I see in the MS3 Pro manual that it will not work Peak and Hold injectors and requires a separate driver, which ones are you guys using or did you just switch over to high impedance/saturated injectors? I am currently torn between this ECU and the AEM infinity 6 which is a few hundred more but does not require a separate injector driver.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ms3 pro would likely fit there. Or you can buy the car and stick it in a stock Ecu box and bolt it up.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Well the more I look at it the more I think im getting the MS3 pro as there are several supra's running them and it looks like I will be able to get advice as needed. Can you guys review my part list and tell me what if anything I am missing?

MS3 pro with 8' harness
EBC kit
GM 3 bar MAP sensor w/ uncrimped connector
GM closed element CLT w/ uncrimped connector
GM open element IAT w/ uncrimped connector
3/8 NPT stainless weld on bung for CLT
3/8 NPT aluminum weld on bung for IAT
6 bosh ev1 connectors uncrimped

I will also be buying the versafueler peak and hold box as that is what DIYautotune suggested.

Then to help with the wiring I think I will get the large weatherpack connector kit and ratcheting 14-20 gauge crimper.

Also after reading this thread it looks like I need to swap a few wires to shielded wire. How much and what gauge should I buy, which terminals do I need, and which wires should I replace?

Some of my questions are should I get a second GM closed element to use for oil temp? What sensors are you guys using for fuel/oil pressure? For those of you who built your own harness how did you run your power wires? The manual says to use 2 different power wires to help with noise cancellation. Did you run two power wires from the battery or just run 1 to a fused splitter box? If I can use 1 power wire I think I am going to bring that into a three fuse (20 amp each) splitter, then run 1 to a terminal strip for 12v constant, one with a relay to a second terminal strip for 12v switched, and the third to a relay for the FP to another terminal strip, then finish off with a grounding strip. Or am I making it harder then it needs to be?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can use the factory coolant temp sensors. Just take a resistance reading at 3 different temps like in a pot of water with a thermometer. Then you dont have to weld anything in.

Are you using peak and hold injectors? If not you would need the peak and hold box.

The ebc kit should basically just be the solenoid with a couple plastic fittings. Dont need to do anything to the main board with the ms3 or pro. also if you are using a external wastegate i believe the size used on the ebc is 1/8 npt. So if you wanted to use an fitting and such instead of just rubber hose you can do that. Also i believe most aftermarket wastegates suggest to use a 5mm hose at min and the solenoid comes with like 3mm so might be better to order some new alum barb fittings anyways since there cheap from summitracing or jegs or your local hose shop.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Way to post almost exactly what I was In the middle of typing hvyman :p

Also it's the cam sensor wire you need to shield and I have my wiring diagrams on where to get power and how to connect everything I can send you

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Thanks guys this is exactly why I am getting the MS because of people like you. I have 950cc low imedence injectors so I was told to get a peak and hold box. I have a precision wastegate so I will look into that hvyman.

Jdmfreak that would be great.

Beside the coolant sensor does everything else look good? Anything I should add to the list. Does my stuff for running the power sound good or is there a better way to do it?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If there just low imp non peak and hold injectors you just need to add resistors. And can add a resistor inline in the wire and avoid getting a resistor pack for a cleaner look.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
I thought all low Impedence injectors were peak and hold. Could be wrong on that as I read it online. I will be using brand new FIC injectors.