Megasquirt thread: Megasquirt and You

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Hi all I have been getting more and more questions about Megasquirt lately. So I am going to create a thread to help everyone out and answer some generic questions.

My background on this I have been running Megasquirt since 2006. I have a pretty good understanding of it and what it takes to install and run most engines. Right now I currently run Megasquirt 2 v3.57, 2.1.0d Extra code, and EDIS 6 for ignition control. This is installed on my 1990 toyota supra with a 1JZ.

Go here for you basic questions about Megasquirt that is not specific towards the supra and M/JZ series motors. I'll be going for more a specific questions aimed towards Supras.
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Guess I can start with some Q&A here

Q: How hard is Megasquirt to install on XM/JZ motor and is their a PnP version available?

A: How hard something to install depends on anyone's knowledge and technical expertise. Now I am not going to say anyone can do but with reading and research I believe any person with the right skill set and patients can install it. I started out knowing nothing about MS or standalones when I started and with no one around to help me just the MS forums and manuals. Now www.diyautotune.com builds a DIY PnP MS2 for the 7M engine but it is not Plug and Play you still have to do some soldering and research to get it running.

Q: Can I use all the stock sensors with the MS2?

A: Yes and no on this question. You can use all the stock sensors with certain modifications done to the MS2 it self such as to read the 7Ms stock CPS. On the JZ series of motors the MS will not work with the stock ignitor so you have to find another solution for ignition control.

Q: Can I pay someone to install and tune the MS for me?

A: Now there is some people that do MS installs but not that many because the MS was originally developed for the do it yourselfer. Typically people who do MS is for people who don't want to spend a whole lot of money or like to do things for themselves.

Q: How does MS compare to other standalones out there?

A: Now I can't answer this question completely because I haven't used anything else but MS. For the money you can't beat it but it does have its drawbacks of if you run into issues you may not have anyone local to help you solve your problems.

This should be good for now If anyone has a question or any helpful information please ask or add to it! I'll add any good questions with answers to the thread that come up.

IGNITION SECTION:

Alright here I'll explain prolly the easier ways of doing ignition on the 7m and then on the 1JZ/2JZ.

Ok the 7m ignition system uses and dual trigger 24-tooth/ 1 tooth trigger setup which is known for causing issues due to brittle wire. Then there is the ignition module which drives the three coils in a wasted spark configuration of cylinders 1-6, 3-4, 2-5. Now it is possible to run the stock 7m ignition system but with some electrical mods done to the MS unit itself which maybe be easy for some and not others.

Alright one way is to do the mods to the MS ecu and run the stock ignition system which is going to be hard for most people.

Now the one I recommend is using EDIS-6 from a ford mid 90's V6. Now the MS2 ECUs from Diyautotune.com already come setup for EDIS use. EDIS is very reliable ignition system to use and is pretty easy to get a hold of the components required to install it from most junk yards. It will also fire the stock coil packs and IS300 coil packs. There is some wiring that has to be done to install it. The hardest part of the install is installing the 36-1 trigger wheel and VR sensor on the crank pulley. The nice thing about using a crank trigger is you can get rid of the stock CPS and plug the hole with a freeze plug. Only drawback is controls such as 2-step launch won't work. Things needed for this install is below.

VR sensor
EDIS-6 Modules + pigtail
36-1 trigger wheel mounted to the crank pulley

Next would be modifying the stock CPS to a 24-1 trigger wheel as linked below. Now what you can do here is using the stock CPS modified to the 24-1 trigger wheel and drive Bosch ignitors or a Mitsubishi v6 ignitors. I haven't done this type of install yet but it is supported by MS2 and from what I heard works well. This wouldn't be a real hard task to do since it will require some wiring to do also.

I'll do the 1JZ/2JZ section later.

WIRING SECTION:

Now you can use the stock wiring harness which I don't recommend. I would use the Megasquirt 12' labeled wiring harness and do a custom harness which looks really nice and isn't hard to do if you can strip and connect wires.

I'll add more later.

FUEL SECTION:

The 7m electronic fuel system is a semi sequential fueling which fires injectors 1-6, 3-4, 2-5 as same as a waste spark setup. MS2 out of the box supports only batch firing which would allow you to fire two banks of injectors instead of three like the stock supra ecu does. Now you may think this is a down grade but really isn't batch firing works just fine its all in the tune.

Here is a write-up a friend of mine did to modify the stock CPS to a 24-1 missing tooth wheel MS can easily read.
http://www.saturnwiki.net/index.php/Nippon_Denso_CAS

Last edited:

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Awaiting further information! I think I may be going this route with my upcoming 2jz with 7m electronics. I was going to rebuild my stock harness completely with new connectors/wires, but this may be a better option for tuning. Then again, I could start stock with rebuilt wiring and then go megasquirt once I know more.

I will also be checking those links as well so I can find more information regarding the 7m MS.

Thanks for this so far!

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
I guess I need to update this some more. If you guys have any questions just post them and I'll answer them. There are several ways to do standalones on engines and a lot of the decisions has to do with what the standalone is capable of. Such as can the standalone read your stock sensors and if not what you have to do to find a sensor to replace the stock one so the standalone will work.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Hey i have heard mix rumors about using a 2 step or antilag with edis 6.
1. Some people say it does work with the system and some say it doesnt?
2. What do you think / know about this?
3. Did you make your own relay board and harness for the MS2?

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
wardog;1593844 said:
Hey i have heard mix rumors about using a 2 step or antilag with edis 6.
1. Some people say it does work with the system and some say it doesnt?
2. What do you think / know about this?
3. Did you make your own relay board and harness for the MS2?

No 2 step or anitlag does not work with edis-6 due not being able to cut out the spark because of the edis fail safe of 10 degrees advance when it has no signal.
I wired in my own relays and made my own harness.

armyboot

Nov 16, 2008
canada
montego6500;1596083 said:
im doin ms2 extra and gonna use all stock stuff what do i need to mod on the ms2 borad to make this work thanks

you'll need to install another vr circut for the cam sensor. Either build a dual vr dauther board and/or add an extra vr circut to the proto area of the board.
edit,,, for 1j's or 2j's

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
I am in the process of a build that incorporates the N52 DIYPNP kit. I have run into a few things that I would like to add. The MS can do semisequential injection with an add-on circuit. However, the stock injector circuit pairs 1-5, 2-4 and 3-6 or something like that. Maybe only for pre-89. That doesn't line up with a true semisequential setup. So I had to rewire the harness to pair them correctly. Not a big deal since the harness was already in the works.

Also to add to the ignition options, the DIYPNP kit can fire coils directly. So that may eliminate the use of an ignition module. Stock coils or is300 could be used. Not enough room for COP on a 6cyl. (MS3 can though. As well as full sequ injection.)

For the N52 kit there are circuits included that can control the stock IAC valve, but semisequential injection cannot be used at the same time. (I opted to use a pwm valve.)

+1 for the modded CPS to 24-1. Although some of the experimental codes are including a setting to run the stock signal type. dual wheel: 24 and 1

Oh, and about the base map for a MS. I bought the kit accepting that there is no base map for the 7m, but they have a base map for the 5m. I took that map and modified it for a slightly higher VE. It should be close enough for startup. Of course for any base map, further tuning will be required. I am not there yet.

I'm glad to see someone is trying to put all of this info in one place for all to see.

tvgz28

May 19, 2010
nc
Hey every one my name is matt and this is my first post on the forums but iv been a lurker for awhile now so ill just dig in.

Ok i have a few questions regrading the install of a ms3+ms3x on a 1jz.

1. i will be doing full sequential fuel and ignition is there any advantage of going with a missing tooth crank trigger wheel vs non missing tooth? i will be using the cam sensor for a second vr input.

2. I have a few .msq tunes that iv gathered but im not sure about the timing maps. They all read pretty similar to each other but how can i tell if they are set up for a base timing of 0dbtcd or 10 degress like the factory ecu?

3. Does any one have a .msq file that i could use for a base tune?

thanks for any info! Matt

Last edited:

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
So, I'm kind of confused... The first post about ignition setup makes it sound like you have to run both a CPS and Crank wheel to get the MS2 to work correctly. Can you get the MS2 to work with just a 7MGTE CPS? And if so will it control the injectors and ignitor too?

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
jmcboost;1698794 said:
So, I'm kind of confused... The first post about ignition setup makes it sound like you have to run both a CPS and Crank wheel to get the MS2 to work correctly. Can you get the MS2 to work with just a 7MGTE CPS? And if so will it control the injectors and ignitor too?

Yes, the MS2 can be made to run with a 7mgte CPS. http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/trigger-wheel.html#nippon scroll down to the Nippondenso CAS

There is also a thread where you can ditch the CPS for EDIS-6. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...g-on-7M-GTE!!!-(Lots-of-pics-and-walkthrough)

And here's another one! http://www.nwamotorsports.net/showthread.php?161-2jz-7mgte-Megasquirt-solutions-thread&

MS2 does not need two wheels to run, but it helps with resolution and getting a clearer picture of what's going on. Plus, you can run Sequential with two pick-ups (cam and crank), vs just the crank (with an EDIS-6 wheel or similar, or something like the stock 1jz/2jzgte crank gears) and batch fire (iirc, it's late and I'm tired. double check if you want to look into these options.)

Most stock electronics on almost any car will work, or you can easily find equivalents that do the same thing. Once you go megasquirt, you could ditch the entire Toyota setup for some Mustang V8 COP's and convert you're stock gte CPS to a missing tooth wheel with a GM ignition system. As long as you know what the pin-outs are for each item electrically (ground to ground, output to output, power to power, etc...), then your possibilities are pretty varied. The problem you may run into (like I did) is there are so many ways to do it. But I have the luxury of a crank gear AND cam sensors with the 1/2jz, vs just the CPS on the 7mgte. Either way you can't go wrong.... well, if you wire it correctly and use the right program/input settings. lol

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Good stuff. Thanks for the help. I'm wanting to start another 2JZGE-t project and don't want to run a crank trigger. But of course would like to run the 7MGTE CPS instead. I just don't like the look of a big crank trigger wheel mounted in front of the crank pulley. Your info will for sure help!!