Megasquirt thread: Megasquirt and You

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Well that is a tough thing to do really, because the engine and cas settings have to match exactly between engines and tune. As far as the settings go, once you plug in the constants for the engine (ie: displacement, injector size, ignition settings) the program will generate most everything to get your engine up and running. It seems like a daunting task but it really isn't too bad.

DustinS

Supramania Contributor
Oct 9, 2012
Springfield, MO
You just answered a very important question for me. I just bought MS3 and was wondering on how I was going to get a base "running" tune on it. Just enough to get it to idle/run for further tuning. This is going to be a giant learning curve(first Standalone with not really anyone that does Megasquirt in my area). Good to know it will at least start.

Another question I had was(that I can't quite find the answer too): Does it run in Speed Density mode from the start? Or is there anything else that I might need to get it to run in speed density mode?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ms3 has an on board map sensor. Have to run a hose from the Ecu to the intake plenium and then you will need a iat sensor.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
DustinS;1914471 said:
You just answered a very important question for me. I just bought MS3 and was wondering on how I was going to get a base "running" tune on it. Just enough to get it to idle/run for further tuning. This is going to be a giant learning curve(first Standalone with not really anyone that does Megasquirt in my area). Good to know it will at least start.

Another question I had was(that I can't quite find the answer too): Does it run in Speed Density mode from the start? Or is there anything else that I might need to get it to run in speed density mode?

Well as far as getting you up and running, if you are running TunerStudio you can just input your displacement, fuel injector flow, torque and hp numbers and it will generate a VE table for your engine. That will get you in the ballpark, then after that, you can also use Autotune in there to use your wideband O2 sensor to help dial it in better. Now, be cautious with that. I wouldn't trust it to tune the car for you completely. You run the risk of blowing stuff up. If you don't have Tunerstudio (which is dumb, because it is a superior program to Megatune), you can generate a 8x8 VE table using the website here. But yes, like it was said earlier, Megasquirt is set up to run speed density out of the box. They all have MAP sensors built in. You can however configure it to run Alpha-N. That means it only takes inputs from RPM, TPS, and the temperature sensors. I don't know anyone who is running Alpha-N though.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you buy tunerstudio as well you can get live ve analyze. Which can either makes changes to your tune while you drive or it can give you notes on what it thinks you can change.

Along with the super awesome gauge setups.

DustinS

Supramania Contributor
Oct 9, 2012
Springfield, MO
Awesome. Tunerstudio looks to be worth the purchase. Anything that can make this easier/better is good. I'll most likely just be using autotune to get a good base tune that I drive the car around with. I have a lot of reading to do, I want to be as familiar as possible before I actually get to that point. I don't even have an engine at this point, but I have one lined up.

I have looked at the gauge set-ups. I am not sure how I will run them. I think stock gauge cluster with the aftermarket gauges in the stock location till I can save for an MXl Strada(we sell them at work :biglaugh: ). I want it as low-key as possible.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Im actually moving from Series 2, to the ms3pro. Way more feature packed and diys tech support is amazing. Pro comes with a registered version of tuner studio and megaview logger.

My plan right now is to get the shadow dash app, and hdmi it to my double din stereo.

Tuner studio, full flex and vss based traction control were the features that sold me on it.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
That shadow dash app is awesome. I configured my ms2 to run Bluetooth and can talk to it with my gs3. Someday I want to run a nexus 7 where the stereo is. What would be really cool though is replace the whole gauge cluster with a few LCD displays and a carputer to have a glass cockpit sort of thing. That's just a lot of dreaming though. The thing I do like about shadow dash is the fact you can send different tunes to megasquirt. That way you can make a valet mode tune where it limits RPM to like 3000 it something.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Good call on the valet mode. I wonder if there is another alternative like using a switch to complete the clutch ground and it will always use the 2 step for the rev limit.

I looked into the 7 inch tablets, but after spending the money on the double din, Ill use the droids hdmi output for a while. I do like the differnt gauge setups tho, pretty cool.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
3p141592654;1914731 said:
Can you tell me which double-din stereo has HDMI inputs? I can only find composite video inputs on the ones I looked at.

So does my pinoeer headunit, im running the 930bt, it has just rca inputs, but my droid has hdmi output, so ill teather with an adpater cable. Sorry for the confusion.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Sorry for the double post, i cant edit off my phone for some reason, but i havent tested 100% yet, but you should be able to use a gopro in the same manner, and watch live on the stereo your rear suspenion, or engine bay. I know the gopro 2 can do the wifi stuff, so you should be able to use your phone as a hub, or teather the gopro direclty to the stereo..

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Lookie what came today.

p1915251_1.jpg

p1915251_2.jpg

This is Pro next to a regular MS alum case, about the same footprint, lower profile.

p1915251_3.jpg

p1915251_4.jpg

p1915251_5.jpg

DustinS

Supramania Contributor
Oct 9, 2012
Springfield, MO
My ms3 came in as well.

Though the more I think about it. The more I think I should have got the ms3x so I could so sequential ignition/injection.