Megasquirt thread: Megasquirt and You

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
I forget the LS2 coils come that way too. Seeing that style reminds me of the 2 wire ls1 setup. Yep, them will work. I like the LQ9, its a bit more powerful and can be mounted pretty easy in the JZ head Under the coil cover.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
The LQ9's offer a hotter spark. Theres a YouTube video testing all 3. I'm at 800whp with a .030 Gap with zero breakup. That's at 25psi, and I have tuned to 30psi.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Dwell is automatically controlled by the ignitors in the ls coils, so you can charge them longer without them cooking. I heard the same thing between the ls2 and lq4/9 coils. You trade off a hotter spark for max rpm's though.

Signature changed to make Bird happy.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
why isnt the cam sensor wire in the ms3x harness from diyautotune shielded????the crank position sensor wires on the ms3 harness is a shielded twisted pair shouldn't the cam sensor wire be shielded as well????????

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It should be it's not completely nesseccary for a patch harness. If your making a whole new harness get some shielded wire.

And 1 wire for the cam is on the ms3x harness and the other side goes to sensor ground. I think for 7m tho all three pick ups in the cps use the same ground so you wouldn't have to do that.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Thanks I'll check that out not very happy that I bought the 12' harness and can't use the dedicated cam sensor wire (it's printed cam sensor down the side) I'm going to email them. I am fine with repinning and running new shielded wire for the knock sensors(using spr3 and 4) but those are spare inputs that I am using the cam sensor wire is purposed

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Just got a email back from diy and they said the cam sensor wire is not shielded because there is no good place to ground the shield and most cam sensors are hall sensors and are not needed to be shielded.... When I told him mine was vr and asked if I could ground it to the same wire as the crank sensor shield ground he said that would work but still may not need to be shielded.......
How critical is it that the cam sensor wire be shielded?

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Shield it. It came from the factory shielded. Also, the VR conditioner circuit is a crude design so you need to give it as low of a noise floor as you can.

Signature changed to make Bird happy.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
That's what I thought OK now to find some shielded wire :p I need some for that and knock sensors.... Any good places to purchase? And do you know off hand what gauge?
Nmv diy sells some

Last edited:

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Ive got about7 feet of the DIY type 2 wire/shelided cam wire. And not sure how close the Pro and MS3x knock stuff is related, but Matt had said that the knock input is buffered quite a bit and a sheiled input isn't needed. Mine has the same guage as the rest of the harness you have, that 18 or 20g stuff.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
"This add on board solders on top of the MS3 daughter board and gives you two channels of knock input that the MS3 can use to retard spark. Using this module will give you a much more sophisticated knock detection circuit than on any previous MegaSquirt knock detection. Features include a programmable bandpass filter, levels that change with RPM, the ability to assign different cylinders to different sensors, and different gain levels for each cylinder. See the*MS3 manual*for details.

We carried out our own testing with a*Bosch 0 261 231 008 sensor - this is a broadband (non-resonant) sensor type that has no built in filtering, so it can be used with a wide variety of bore sizes. Similar Bosch sensors should also work (most of these only differ in their packaging). This knock module can also be used with tuned knock sensors if they are tuned to your engine's bore size.

This board only works with MS3"

If that means I don't need the shielded wire that would be sweet :p also means I might be able to use what I have left from the crank sensor one after I cut it for my cam sensor...

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Looks like its the same setup.

The MS3-Pro is our top of the line engine management system. It packs up to 12 fuel channels and 8 ignition channels into a single ruggedized enclosure. This one can run 4 channels of continously variable valve timing, progressive nitrous control, and more! We've taken the optional features on the MS3X (knock control and the real time clock), and made them standard, then shrunk the unit into a smaller, splashproof case with beefy AMPSEAL connectors. Click here for more details about the MS3-Pro.

If you need more of the cam wire, I have that 7 feet here.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
the pro and ms3x knock circuit prolly works the same but as a matter of physical characteristics they are different.