JZ coils and standalone EMS's

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I have a few sets of the mounting brackets made now and will offer it with a sub-harness to splice into the stock ignitor harness. These coils are best run as sequential but should work fine as waste spark, but I have not tried this yet. The biggest benefit of these coils is that they do away with the stock ignitor which is the systems weak link, even with brand new stock JZ coils.

Pm or email me if anyone else is interested in picking one of these kits up.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
I think you guys have the theory right but the application wrong. Wasted spark works when you have one coil firing two plugs/cylinders due to several factors. A) There are two paths (plugs) for energy from the coil to follow to ground B) Energy will follow the path of least resistance C) the plug in the cylinder on the compression stroke is in a lower resistance medium (fresh air/fuel mixture) D) the plug in the cylinder on the exhaust stroke is in a high resistance medium (exhaust) E) the coil is sized accordingly.

In this application you are using individual coils (one per cylinder/plug) such that, per coil, there is one path for the energy to follow (the only plug attached to the coil). By running them in wasted spark you have effectively cut the cycle in half and doubled the duty cycle.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
bfr1992t;1448372 said:
I think you guys have the theory right but the application wrong. Wasted spark works when you have one coil firing two plugs/cylinders due to several factors. A) There are two paths (plugs) for energy from the coil to follow to ground B) Energy will follow the path of least resistance C) the plug in the cylinder on the compression stroke is in a lower resistance medium (fresh air/fuel mixture) D) the plug in the cylinder on the exhaust stroke is in a high resistance medium (exhaust) E) the coil is sized accordingly.

In this application you are using individual coils (one per cylinder/plug) such that, per coil, there is one path for the energy to follow (the only plug attached to the coil). By running them in wasted spark you have effectively cut the cycle in half and doubled the duty cycle.

IJ.;1437072 said:
No as the dead/waste cylinder has minimal pressure so the energy going to that plug is very low.
Where the 1ZZ coils WILL win hands down is even in Waste Fire configuration they're NOT sharing coil output as they each have an Ignitor.

How so?

Viggs

Slow t67 1j
Jan 28, 2008
Buffalo
Running a COP system in wasted spark just makes the Coil think it's running twice the RPM, since it has to fire twice per revolution instead one. Whatever effect it has on individual coil output is debatable. If using a COP with a built in igniter it's no big deal, with the stock igniter it's more of a strain as it wasn't meant to operate at 14,000rpm with two coils feeding off it. So to correct what bfr1992t said, by running them in wasted spark your effectively doubling the cycle. IJ would you agree with that?

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
IJ.;1448528 said:

In a true wasted spark configuration the coil is designed to be charged and dumped once per revolution.

A coil for a 4 cycle engine, coil on plug configuration, is designed to be charged and dumped once per cycle (two revolutions), integrated igniter or not. This coil has one path to ground (one plug) so once the primary coil power is removed the secondary will dump through the plug irregardless of compression or exhaust stroke. If it's used in a pseudo wastespark configuration (fired once per revolution) it will be driven at 2 times what it was designed for.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ok I may be a little Dim but I'm not seeing the "issue" you're getting at?

Way back I ran a single T style coil into a GE Distributor and it pulled cleanly to 7000 rpm without any hint of a problem, (at low boost) are you trying to say a waste fire CoP system doesn't have enough charge time to cope?

I'm not being an ass just trying to understand.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bfr1992t;1448865 said:
In a true wasted spark configuration the coil is designed to be charged and dumped once per revolution.

A coil for a 4 cycle engine, coil on plug configuration, is designed to be charged and dumped once per cycle (two revolutions), integrated igniter or not. This coil has one path to ground (one plug) so once the primary coil power is removed the secondary will dump through the plug irregardless of compression or exhaust stroke. If it's used in a pseudo wastespark configuration (fired once per revolution) it will be driven at 2 times what it was designed for.

and there really is no issue. As long as the dwell time is small enough to be completed in the rpm range, there is no downside. If the dwell time is greater than the time needed per revolution, weak charge will cause a misfire.

or in otherwords, IJ is correct.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Behold, my BIC 1zzfe smart coil harness and brackets :D

w2dmr9.jpg

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
cost effective, I'd say it's about equal. Matt, I'll bring my setup with me tomorrow while I'm over in Sedro if you want to look at what I got and the instructions that came with it. As far as I can tell, it looks to be a pretty simple install (although I need a little more clarification since I lopped off my stock ignitor wiring). Text or call me to get ahold of me.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just thought I would chime in here for what it's worth.

I'm running LS1 coils on a 2jz with an AEM series 2 controlling them directly sequentially. No ignitor.

Series 2 unit even offers a wizard to setup these and many other coils specifically. Sets the dwell up.

For me it was a simple matter of removing the ignitor and rewire the coils to the ecu. (Many thanks for the pin info IJ, much appreciated!)

Worked flawlessly first time without any hiccups.

As a bonus I have two spare smart coils left over since my came in a set of 8 with wiring. In the end the upgrade cost me slightly less than 2 new stock jz coils.

slideways2004

Oct 7, 2008
Houston
Flateric;1480051 said:
Just thought I would chime in here for what it's worth.

I'm running LS1 coils on a 2jz with an AEM series 2 controlling them directly sequentially. No ignitor.

Series 2 unit even offers a wizard to setup these and many other coils specifically. Sets the dwell up.

For me it was a simple matter of removing the ignitor and rewire the coils to the ecu. (Many thanks for the pin info IJ, much appreciated!)

Worked flawlessly first time without any hiccups.

As a bonus I have two spare smart coils left over since my came in a set of 8 with wiring. In the end the upgrade cost me slightly less than 2 new stock jz coils.

do you mind sharing a link of the exact ones you bought?? I am trying to buy a set but keep finding different coilpacks

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
MKIV coils would be more than enough for what people are doing here. They're not that much money. There is no need to try and reinvent the wheel here. lol

Duane

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
The LS coils are wider and dont fit in the 1jz between the valve covers. They do fit well on a 2jz though. Either the LS and 1ZZ coils are a great upgrade if you are on an EMS, and your stock coils are cracked and need replacement. The factory igintors are also known weak links. These wouldnt be worth the hassel with a stock ECU as you cannot adjust the dwell.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I thought Bill would have told you Randy, we got my Supra running Sunday night at 6PM after working on it for 7 hours. No problems wiht the coils, only the wiring I did (3 of my connections to the coils came free from the butt connectors I used and we had to splice in new wires since I didn't want to remove my intake manifold, we also had to rewire my fuel pump since me and NorthWestSupra did it wrong). So far so good, I love the coil and ViPEC V88 setup (especially the feature that allows you to fire the coils without trying to start the car). The Supra fired right up on the first try and purrs pretty good, just needs to be tuned and get a few little things finished up on my part.