JZ coils and standalone EMS's

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
PM sent about brackets.

On a side note, I dyno'd yesterday about 30 pulls @ 22-26psi on the same plugs I've ran for about three months and I never had one hiccup. I also have them gapped to .030 on the ngk6282. I think that's the plug I'm running. It's either that or the ngk 4644

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I'm happy as hell with the 1zz's. My plugs are gapped .030" & running 19psi without a hiccup. I had a lot of spark issues with the 1JZ coils, but that seems to be a thing of the past

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
OK, I have a little issue that I need some help with.

I fried my #1 coil a few months ago (August or September), replaced it and then a week or so later I fried the #6 coil. Both times it happened, it was as I was at WOT and hitting 5k rpm. I thought that since they are in the same batch, there was an issue with the harness. I traced the wires for both and everything appeared to be ok. There was no exposed wires and they were wired like the other four. I did find that there was only one ground on the motor, so I added two massive grounds and cut my dwell time back to 20 m/s, and that seemed to have fixed the problem.

Last Wednesday, I fried the #1 again. This time though, there was no stress on the motor, I had just cranked the car up. I looked thru things again when I got home, albeit very quickly and unthoroughly, finding nothing and replaced it to get me back on the road. I have tried to dig up ideas to identify the cause, but nothing has matched my problem.

Today, on my way home from work, I popped another one as I was coasting down hill. After limping back, I started disconnecting coils as the engine idled to find out which one it was. To my surprise, it was #3 this time. It was in another batch, which opens up a whole slew of new potential problems. I going to check the voltage the coils are recieving, but is there something glaring that I'm missing when it comes to trouble shooting this?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ.;1681922 said:
20 M/s :aigo:

4>5 would be a long dwell Mark.

Try something along the lines of

8V 6.3 ms
9V 5.3 ms
10V 4.4 ms
11V 3.8 ms
12V 3.2 ms
13V 2.7 ms
14V 2.4 ms
15V 2.2 ms

LOL, how about 2.0 ms :icon_bigg

I lowered it to that (was set at 3.5 ms) after popping the second coil. No spark blow out at 18psi, but a little harder to start. I wish Stinger would update their ECUs so we can have a dwell table too :nono:. I guess the "you get what you pay for" adage is true

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Bit surprised you popped them at 3.5 though....

Haven't seen the correct spec for those coils though so that may have been enough to cook them :(

I ran an X/Y Table here Batt V x Boost.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ.;1681931 said:
Bit surprised you popped them at 3.5 though....

Haven't seen the correct spec for those coils though so that may have been enough to cook them :(

I ran an X/Y Table here Batt V x Boost.

I was a bit surprised too, especially after i dropped it down to 2.0 ms. I'm going to go thru the harness again, something has to be off....

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Oh, and the dwell for these coils is on MoTeCs website, found here

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I've been on 3.5ms on the 1zz's for a long time, and I drive every single day with no problems.

As others have stated, I love these 1ZZ coils. They are awesome for high boost.

What is the measure of volts going to the coils during operation? That is very strange that you are killing your coils like that.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
RacerXJ220;1682026 said:
What is the measure of volts going to the coils during operation? That is very strange that you are killing your coils like that.

actually, after messing with them, I have to ask how do I measure the voltage during operation? Is there a way that I can monitor the voltage at the coil via data logging, or is it the output of volts throughout the system?

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

I wish you were still in Bama.....

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
rakkasan;1682034 said:
actually, after messing with them, I have to ask how do I measure the voltage during operation? Is there a way that I can monitor the voltage at the coil via data logging, or is it the output of volts throughout the system?

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

I wish you were still in Bama.....

I was just wondering what volts were going to the coils while the engine was running, just to establish beyond any doubt the dwell settings you will need.

Are all of the coils drawing off of the same power source?

Any kind of voltage amplifier being used?

Might be "duh" questions, I just never heard about the issues of the coils going out like that..... I'll have to do some research about those coils and see if there are any other causes of that specific type of failure.

I got back from Korea two months ago. Now I'm going to college between assignments. I'll go to Iraq again this summer, and then I'll disappear again for a while.

Hope to help out anyway I can, if I can.

Marotta1

Supreme Lurker
Resurrecting a thread here because I'm about to do this. Has anyone tried out the the 2zz coils? I am wondering if they are the same. I can get them (new) about $12 cheaper a coil. I like saving $72 as long as the coil's just as good, otherwise no.

Some Toyota part #'s
90919-02238 Corolla Matrix Celica 1.8 liter
90919-02239 replaced by: 90919-02262 Corolla 1.8 liter
90919-02240 Yaris Echo Scion 1.5 liter

Denso part #'s
673-1300
673-1305
673-1306

The 673-1305 and 673-1306 are listed on the 1.5 liter Yaris, Echo, and Scion motors. The 673-1300 which costs the most along with the 673-1305 are both listed on RockAuto as replacement coils for an 05 Corolla. Are these coils comparable? Is the 1305 & 1306 coil just as strong?

The 673-1306 also seems to have a flat rather than an angled connector as seen in the pic on page 6 in this thread which is what I wanted. If any of you guys need a bit more clearance for fitment.

Anybody know?

Last edited: