JZ coils and standalone EMS's

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
becauseican;1249096 said:
I normally run BKR7E's but I am getting tierd of swapping them out every few weeks. I think I am going to try the LS coils on my car, now I just gotta find some.

Why do you have to swap out the plugs every few weeks? Do they get carbon fouled at all? I have found that BKR7E's are a little too cold for where I live so I have been running the stock heat range and it has been working out awesome. Do mind you this was on the stock twins running 15psi and full bolt ons.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
bfr1992t;1253151 said:
Funny, I consider having to add an ignition amp a lame band aid fix to the shortsighted design of the AEM EMS. Better to mod the AEM EMS for sequential.

I do agree that the OP's plugs are the wrong choice, however 7 is COLDER than 6 and BKR's do have resistors. BCPR6ES works great for me and many others. Do not switch to a colder plug until you have evidence that you actually need to.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/partnumberkey.pdf

Meassure the resistance on a resistor iridium plug and the BKR7E's? Let me know what you find, as I have run in to this issue with some EMS's. It's a hit or miss problem but it has happen to me and my tuner a lot that we have keept a close eye on the BKR7E's. Stock heat range is 6 going two colder or three wont hurt a thing. With HKS DLI and NGK Iridium with a heat range of 9 I have picked up to 60 WHP.

My tuner runs an AEM Race EMS and he has tried out every spark plug out in the market, His car holds 3 world records in IDRC. So his race car is always on the dyno trying to squeeze out every ounce of power that engine can make with all kinds of plugs, oils, rings, coatings, bearing clearances, Etc...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
NGK Platinum 7's here used daily in all conditions and haven't been changed or cleaned in 10,000+ Km's and still pull cleanly to redline using the variable dwell I described earlier in this thread.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
soapra;1255879 said:
Meassure the resistance on a resistor iridium plug and the BKR7E's? Let me know what you find, as I have run in to this issue with some EMS's. It's a hit or miss problem but it has happen to me and my tuner a lot that we have keept a close eye on the BKR7E's. Stock heat range is 6 going two colder or three wont hurt a thing. With HKS DLI and NGK Iridium with a heat range of 9 I have picked up to 60 WHP.

My tuner runs an AEM Race EMS and he has tried out every spark plug out in the market, His car holds 3 world records in IDRC. So his race car is always on the dyno trying to squeeze out every ounce of power that engine can make with all kinds of plugs, oils, rings, coatings, bearing clearances, Etc...

B = 18mm
K = 5/8 hex, projected tip
R = Resistor
7 = heat range
E = thread reach of 19mm

I'm not saying it has the same resistance as another model of plug, but it does have a resistor. It likely won't have the exact same resistance of an iridium plug, but should be close to the BCPR variant.

Two or three heat ranges colder will hurt when you have to deal with widely varying environmental conditions and daily street/highway driving.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
IJ.;1245980 said:
With the MoTeC I run some extra dwell at high boost to prevent the spark blowout at torque peak, this way I can be gentle on the coils for day to day use and it only drives them hard when needed.

ie: I run 2.3ms @ atmospheric and 5.0ms above 15psi when at 13v.
(rough interpolation between the 2)

Not sure how configurable your ECU's are for dwell and you'd need to find out how hard the Jz coils can be driven but I find this approach cured my issues.

My Haltech doesnt have dwell maps, just a single adjustable value.

I found some Toyota 1ZZ-FE coils here at the shop, they are COP, have built in ignitors, and are nice and small and fit inside the 1jz plug galley nicely. I was doing some reasearch, and the MR2 guys are using these as upgrades with good results. I am not needing some crazy voltage spark, just enough to run 25-28 psi boost. I just gotta get some wire clips and pigtails and wire it up. I think I may try this route. Anyone used these before or have any opinions on them?.

Randy

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
IJ.;1258110 said:
Randy: So you can't assign a table to dwell?

No with the Haltech E11v2 you cannot assign a table for dwell, I am not sure about with the new Platinum Sport 2000 ECU that I am installing, but we will see.

Anyways, I will be trying out the 1zzfe / 2zzfe coils on my 1jz, and I am doing a 2jz in the shop with LS1 Truck coils, with a custom made mounting bracket. I will most likely be offering the bracket for sale on my website as a new product....BOLT ON LS1 COILS mounting system!!, they should be available in 3-4 weeks.

Randy

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
will the tuck coils fit the 1jz with your mount bracket or just the 2jz? I've been looking at different options for the ignition set-up and that is one of the ones that I'm leaning towards.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Here ya go Ron, start off conservative then bump the settings a little and keep an eye on coil temp.

There "should" be specs on the maximum dwell the 2J coils can take somewhere, these settings are what works on the Bosch MEC720 coils I used.

dwell.jpg

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
IJ.;1293215 said:
Here ya go Ron, start off conservative then bump the settings a little and keep an eye on coil temp.

There "should" be specs on the maximum dwell the 2J coils can take somewhere, these settings are what works on the Bosch MEC720 coils I used.

dwell.jpg

Thanks, I think when I called MoTeC about the 2j coils, they said ~2ms.
So the lesser the number the less time for the coils to recover, right?

~Ron

Edit: according to MoTeC, when using CDI, there's no need for this, Dwell should be set to 1msec. That's why mine is set to 1.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Turbo Drifter;1245267 said:
Its a simple fix, buck up and get new OEM coils most the time the coils are 15+ years old. The Cracks are part of the problem the other one is that as they age the coils resistance goes out of spec.

If you want to keep stock coils spend the $400 and get new coils and a then a HKS DLI do not be cheap and look for lame band aid fixes.

Look at any MKIV making good power on stock coils and they have new ones. Its one of those costs that go along with the power, same as getting bigger injectors.

Jeremy

This.

I run 32psi and on stock MKIV coils (new) and no problems. :)

Nice set-up there Jeremy, looks clean.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
upgradedsupra;1303618 said:
This.

I run 32psi and on stock MKIV coils (new) and no problems. :)

Nice set-up there Jeremy, looks clean.

Yes you also have M&W bling and sequential fire ignition.

I believe most of my problems were with the AEM batch fire and the stock "Smart" igniter.

With the ViPec I now have sequential ignition too.

Ether its the coils or the management the car runs 10X better than it has in the past.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Turbo Drifter;1303629 said:
Yes you also have M&W bling and sequential fire ignition.

I believe most of my problems were with the AEM batch fire and the stock "Smart" igniter.

With the ViPec I now have sequential ignition too.

Ether its the coils or the management the car runs 10X better than it has in the past.

Yes, I have good parts and sequential is a plus. You just need to it right the first time, many many MKIV Supras run the same coils and have much higher hp than me too.

It is finally good to see your car actually run now.

Duane

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
does anybody know that cheapest past to buy coil packs. I thought I saw them at champion for $55, but now I can't find them anymore.