JZ coils and standalone EMS's

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
What motor are you putting the 1zz coils on? Aljordan and I gathered measurements from a number of different 1/2 zz coils and most will end up occupying the same space as the hood (stock) on a 7M.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
bfr1992t;1334849 said:
What motor are you putting the 1zz coils on? Aljordan and I gathered measurements from a number of different 1/2 zz coils and most will end up occupying the same space as the hood (stock) on a 7M.

Its going on a 1jz, but that should not make much difference. There no more than 1" longer than 2jz coils and I have seen those on 7M's with lots of room to spare.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
What year/model of car are you getting the 1zz coils from? Any chance you could see if one that you have fits on a 7M?

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Alright, i have an update finally. The 1ZZ coils are installed and I have been running them for a few months now, and they work great!!. I now run a .030 plug gap and have boosted up to 25 psi and experienced zero spark blow out!!!, which wasnt possible with the stock coils unless running a .022 gap or smaller. I am totally pleased with the coils, the fitment and performance is great, I can finally turn the boost up without worrying about blow out. The center coil cover does need to be spaced up about 3/16", which is barely noticable and offers better airflow and cooling for the coils. I will attach some pics.

The coils are from the newer 1zz and 2zz engines, Corolas, MR2 Spyder and Celica GTS's. I will see how they fit on a 7M.

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 192

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
This is a 2zz coil on my #1 plug. It's about an inch taller than the oil cap.

p1403559_1.jpg

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
becauseican;1403409 said:
Alright, i have an update finally. The 1ZZ coils are installed and I have been running them for a few months now, and they work great!!. I now run a .030 plug gap and have boosted up to 25 psi and experienced zero spark blow out!!!, which wasnt possible with the stock coils unless running a .022 gap or smaller. I am totally pleased with the coils, the fitment and performance is great, I can finally turn the boost up without worrying about blow out. The center coil cover does need to be spaced up about 3/16", which is barely noticable and offers better airflow and cooling for the coils. I will attach some pics.

The coils are from the newer 1zz and 2zz engines, Corolas, MR2 Spyder and Celica GTS's. I will see how they fit on a 7M.

Randy

Awesome Randy! what dwell are you running?

slideways2004

Oct 7, 2008
Houston
becauseican;1403409 said:

Randy

what ignitor are you using?? Are you going to be selling those brackets for the coils??

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
becauseican;1336733 said:
I am putting the 1zz coild on my 1jz. I just finnished a LS1 coil setup on a 2jz swap, it turned out really nice. I will post some pics.
The Later model coils are even hotter again Randy, I'll have some data this week after a visit to MoTeC to have some tested.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
slideways2004;1405614 said:
what ignitor are you using?? Are you going to be selling those brackets for the coils??

Like Turbo Drifter said, they have built in ignitors, which is why they are so great. I have heard it direct from some standalone ECU companies that the stock JZ ignitors are "junk", and they dont reccomend to use them. They only work well with a booster like MSD or HKS DLI.

Yes I may offer these brackets for sale, although there is more to it than just the brackets, I will see if I can get some brand new coild and offer it as a package. PM me if interested.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
becauseican;1408628 said:
Like Turbo Drifter said, they have built in ignitors, which is why they are so great. I have heard it direct from some standalone ECU companies that the stock JZ ignitors are "junk", and they dont reccomend to use them. They only work well with a booster like MSD or HKS DLI.

That is mainly because most standalone ECU's do not have enough coil drivers and must run them in wastespark, doubling the duty and reducing charge dwell and cycle by half.

All of the latest ECU's that do have 6+ coil drivers are doing well including AEM EMS v2, ProEFI, and Motec.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Randy I found a easy fix.

Forget about epoxy and all that crap I found shrink warp that fit perfectly, and i haven't had a problem since on all 18 of my cracked coils on my 3 2jz cars.
In fact the mk3 made 4 PSI more boost form better ignition when I fixed the coils.

Had to turn down the boost control to compensate!

The cracks that affect the coils I found where mostly the ones going down the down the coil to where the boot is... I took a whole piece of shrink warp down the shaft of the coil and haven't had ONE problem since.

BTW using A DLI helps crack the coils by over driving them.. I had 3 sets crack because of the DLI. but fixed as per above.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
You're adding insulation is all - more resistance for the charge to overcome to jump to nearby ground.