JZ coils and standalone EMS's

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
honestabe;1408700 said:
I might be interested. I want to see the results though.

What more results are you looking for?, I run 25 psi with a .030 plug gap and I have been on one set of plugs for the whole summer so far. Try that with the stock ignition. Id say they work great. Also just ran a 12.16 @118 at the track on friday, it is great to not have spark blow out at high boost anymore.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
becauseican;1412308 said:
What more results are you looking for?, I run 25 psi with a .030 plug gap and I have been on one set of plugs for the whole summer so far. Try that with the stock ignition. Id say they work great. Also just ran a 12.16 @118 at the track on friday, it is great to not have spark blow out at high boost anymore.

.032, 18-25psi, same plugs for almost 2 yrs now. 7M-GTE stock ignition ;-)

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
bfr1992t;1412384 said:
.032, 18-25psi, same plugs for almost 2 yrs now. 7M-GTE stock ignition ;-)

Sorry am I missing the relevance here?

I too have had no problems with my plugs running a .032 gap and LS coils. The spark blow out problems i had was with the MSD wires (POS) the stock NGK's work fine at over 20psi and 500+whp.

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
it seems like nobody on here is running stinger standalone, which I believe is wasted spark. Can somebody confirm that the LS coils will work with stinger.

Also Randy I have been looking but I can't find if you are offering the package deal yet

big yoggz

becauseican;1243500 said:
I have been fighting these JZ coils/ ignition on every car that we tune here. No we all know that JZ coils like to crack at the screw area where it mounts to the bracket and under the plug boot, which causes missfire at higher boost. When ever we get to the dyno, and try to run 17-20 psi we get spark blow out/ ignition breakup....so pull the plugs, gap them smaller sometimes down to .022" , and it helps a bit, but still happens. I always go over the coils, and epoxy up any cracks that may be there. We have had these ignition problems with Microtech, Haltech and AEM EMS's, with factory ignitors. We used a HKS DLI and it worked on the AEM, but I feel that it is just masking a problem.

Now the question is what is the problem?, the weak factory coils, or the ignitor?. I really dont want to have to replace the coils on every car we try to run 17+ psi on. What ignition setups do you guys use, new coils, LS coils, AEM pencil coils, or just add a HKS DLI ?. I have heard that the factory ignitors are not so good, so will an aftermarket ignitor do the trick?

Thanks,
Randy

I ended up going to fry's electronics and ended up getting some shrink wrap and worked out great

Viggs

Slow t67 1j
Jan 28, 2008
Buffalo
I just got back from a disappointing turnout at the dyno with the stock ignition. It wouldn't take more than 19psi with a T67. So are these 1zz/2zz coils the ticket for a better spark with a stinger? Or am I better off with new 2j coils and DLI? Whats the verdict?

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
IJ.;1437040 said:
Be careful making blanket statements then Adam as Viggs almost bought a set of Coils based on what you posted.....

I was trying to be careful Ian. I don't want to see any member get screwed. I wouldn't recommend the 1zzfe coils if it weren't for the fact that I have seen proven results (from Randy at BIC) and am going to get the system myself. Hell, I've already sold my JZ coils and ignitor and lopped off the stock ignitor wiring the best I could and I already have my 1zzfe coils and connectors in hand. I am just waiting on funds/confirmation of price so I can complete the install of my setup.

From what I've read in this very thread, I see zero downside to getting rid of the JZ coil/ignitor system and going to the 1zzfe coil on plug system. Hell, the cost for the system (with the mounts, wiring subharness, and the coils and connectors themselves) is about the same, if not less, than the HKI DLI. Less crap, better system, same cost, I only see good things with this setup.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You CAN'T say "better system" without DATA to prove it's actually better.... :nono:

Ignition is one of those things that can be quantified through testing and until I see some hard data on both systems I have NFI which is "better".

Anecdotal evidence based on someone's end results doesn't cut it as there are too many variables that can play a part.

I'm not busting on you but you really need to word things differently and not state it as absolute.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
JZ coils are on cars up to 1000 plus hp, WTF would you change it? If it ain't broken, don't fix it" No need to reinvent the wheel here. :3d_frown:

Get a decent ignition and you will be fine, geez/thread.

Duane

Viggs

Slow t67 1j
Jan 28, 2008
Buffalo
It's better than stock I would have to say though from Randy's results. It's just a matter of DLI vs 1zz. The DLI is manipulating the OEM coils to get a better spark while the 1zz coils are all on there own. IIRC the the stock igniter is "smart" while the igniters in the 1zz coils are "dumb." So by eliminating the stock igniter your able to adjust dwell with a standalone, correct? Follow me through on this next thought I had....In a wasted spark configuration with DLI, isn't the output of the DLI actually cut in half due to two coils drawing off it at the same time?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Viggs;1437069 said:
It's better than stock I would have to say though from Randy's results. It's just a matter of DLI vs 1zz. The DLI is manipulating the OEM coils to get a better spark while the 1zz coils are all on there own. IIRC the the stock igniter is "smart" while the igniters in the 1zz coils are "dumb." So by eliminating the stock igniter your able to adjust dwell with a standalone, correct? Follow me through on this next thought I had....In a wasted spark configuration with DLI, isn't the output of the DLI actually cut in half due to two coils drawing off it at the same time?

No as the dead/waste cylinder has minimal pressure so the energy going to that plug is very low.
Where the 1ZZ coils WILL win hands down is even in Waste Fire configuration they're NOT sharing coil output as they each have an Ignitor.

Viggs

Slow t67 1j
Jan 28, 2008
Buffalo
IJ.;1437072 said:
No as the dead/waste cylinder has minimal pressure so the energy going to that plug is very low.
Where the 1ZZ coils WILL win hands down is even in Waste Fire configuration they're NOT sharing coil output as they each have an Ignitor.

Very good point! Can DLI be added to the 1zz coils?

Last edited: