JT2MA71's Build. Dyno video on post # 1191

Adam W

Mar 2, 2008
London
Hi Ron,

Just moved over here from Supraforums (where I haven't posted for a few years). I love the work you've done, thanks for taking the time to document it and answer questions etc.

I'd like to know a little more about the process of converting to dry sump. Does the pump just suck from the sump, or is there a line from the pump to the turbo oil drain, some points in the block etc? Where does the pump connect to the engine block in order to feed the pressurised oil back in? Do you have to balance the suck and blow side of the pump in some way to get the oil pressre right, or do you just buy a pump and strap it on? Finally, why did you decide that the stock 2JZ oiling system was not up to the job?

I can't see many people going this route due to the high cost, I certainly couldn't justify it, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that is interested to know the details of how it's done.

Anyway, have fun breaking it in, and be sure to post plenty of vids when you start whaling on it! :naughty:

Adam

2jzmk3

i am not sure whats the most you can get. but mine is a OEM oil pump, nothing done to it, i have the factory oil cooler removed and all the other B.S. as i am sure you did. . i usually see 105-110psi at WOT.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
2jzmk3;943892 said:
i am not sure whats the most you can get. but mine is a OEM oil pump, nothing done to it, i have the factory oil cooler removed and all the other B.S. as i am sure you did. . i usually see 105-110psi at WOT.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Sean

wow, that is damn high Oil pressure :)

you running 50weight in that motor?

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
I was gonna say, what oil are you using, Sean? Mine maxes out at ~80 at 5500 rpm, so I'm sure I can get more if I adjust the relief valve. But I had Barnes set the relief pressure to 80 psi. I thought that's the maximum I want to run. What do you think? What are the titan guys running?

Adam, about the dry sump system, a few ports on the block needed to be plugged: the two ports on the front matching the inlet and outlet of the oil pump, the one big port at the bottom on the pan rail. The small port (outlet) on the side where the oil filter bracket used to be. All where tapped and plugged with NPT plugs. The oil ports feeding the mains where also bored out a little.
The oil pump was gutted out, so it is now just basically a front cover retaining the front main seal.
We all know what the advantage of any dry sump system is, the stock system may be sufficient but dry sump is definitely better; more oil capacity, no parasitic drag in the crankcase, no oil starvation, vacuum in the crankcase helps seal rings.
The only downside is the additional weight but I got rid of my ac system and the 2jz is lighter than the 7m anyway. So with this conversion, and with 8 qts of oil, my car still ended up lighter now.
HTH. Ron

2jzmk3

we run 20w50 valvoline racing oil, i get a little more oil pressure than most of the guys at the shop, but we all are around 95-105psi at WOT.

the only other car is the PRO scions that are running a dry sump, so you cant really compare that to a street car.

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
IJ.;947354 said:
Arghhhh more "Crotch Cam" ;)

Max pressure will depend on how hard you're going to rev it Ron.

Stop minding the crotch!!!! lol. So, I will rev to say...10,500 rpm what should the pressure be? Like I said it is set to 80psi max right now and it maxes out at ~5500 rpm. Ron

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LOL here ;)

Rough rule of thumb is 10 PSI per 1000 rpm then I add 10 psi on top.

So 110/115 Psi at max rpm would be my goal but realistically 100 Psi should be fine as you won't be spending time at 10500.
(but if you are I want VIDS)

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
IJ.;947380 said:
you won't be spending time at 10500.
(but if you are I want VIDS)

video will probably be 10 seconds long cus with that thing he'll run out of gears.

This car is going to centralia yes?

2jzmk3

ron, i am going to need you to make a camera mount so we can actually see something. thanks...

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Another fine build Mr. Ramirez. I loved your old 7M but hated that it never came anywhere close to its potential as far as making power and using it. Will you actually lean on this one a bit, please? :D

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
chevyeater;948784 said:
Another fine build Mr. Ramirez. I loved your old 7M but hated that it never came anywhere close to its potential as far as making power and using it. Will you actually lean on this one a bit, please? :D

He will have to unless he wants my 7M leaving him in the dust :biglaugh:

Ron? :icon_bigg

Duane