Group A's group a rebuild

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Adjuster said:
From what I remember, they were just under 700hp for the Group A, 1000cc injectors, and still running a version of the CT26... :)

There is a link somewhere that covers the car, and the oil pan etc.

I'd guess with that cam setup, it's got quite the idle, and sounds pretty mean running too.

SEVEN HUNDRED HORSEPOWER?

HOLY FRIGGEN CRAP! I thought it was more of like 400 max!

I have like 4 old videos of group A supra's giong around tracks...2 of them are the TOMS videos from 1987.

Adjuster....your head looks exactly like mine...the black cam gears and candy pearl red cam covers....

copy cat:biglaugh: ....I actually modeled it after the RB26 colors.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
That must have been it, crank v/s whp. (With a 15% loss, 700 is 595rwhp estimated.)

Still a crap load of power, and the tourqe must have been pretty good too. (If it was anything like the stock CT powerband.) I know the cams would move that around some, and the "modified" CT26 had to be running larger internal wheels to make this level of power, but still, that engine is pretty amazing for being 1980's tech, on an older block design in a heavy car.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Did the gpa motor have larger valves and port work done. (IIRC, it did.) Any photos of the head and combustion chambers? I ported mine, and smoothed out many of the sharp edges on the chambers to reduce places for hot spots to occur w/o killing the squish areas. Also un-shrouded the valve seats to smooth flow into and out of the cyc, and remove any potential hot spots too.

I was worried that it would make the engine run uneaven as I had no way of making each chamber exactly the same, but my eyeballs, and patience. (I think I'm pretty close, the engine runs nice and smooth.)Then I coated the chambers with the same coatings used on piston crowns... (And the valves, and the exhaust runners etc.)

I think with the GT42 on there, your cams and head mods bolted onto the hand selected block/crank etc. it will make 1000rwhp with the right fuel, and tune. (Now, the question is, can the rest of the chassis take it. :))

When are you going to do your brakes? I just got done with mine, and it was partially a need, and partialy a safety item. (At these power levels, the stock brakes give up pretty quickly, you can get to 140mph inside of 15 to 20seconds, and that's easy to do pretty much getting on the freeway, or passing other traffic.) Then you have to slow it down, or run over the cars in front of you :) LOL

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
suspension and brakes had a mil warm over before when running t04e ie drilled rotors fast road pads and konis all round
but now we are having 355mm discs with six pots up front
we have no abs :icon_bigg
will have tein ra's
ss support bars
roll cage
adj wish bones up front
anti roll bars of course
and 285's up back with 265's up front
and front and rear strut brace's

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
right today have cut rest of tubular manifold up and welded the edge of the flanges together in position with turbo on now turbo is of i will have to start making up all the pipe work man this job is going to suck wish it was left hand drive would be loads easier no pas rack or breaks to worry about

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
group a supra said:
right today have cut rest of tubular manifold up and welded the edge of the flanges together in position with turbo on now turbo is of i will have to start making up all the pipe work man this job is going to suck wish it was left hand drive would be loads easier no pas rack or breaks to worry about

thats one thing I NEVER thought about....the right hand drive supra's have the steering rack and turbo crap all on the SAME SIDE....that does have to suck! :icon_surp

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
siman its a knightmare but nearly ther now t4 flange welded in location to the body start on the runner tuesday when flexy tube is here in 1.5 inch gonna make em fit in that then mandrel bend them
so tommorrow im going to startt seam welding the shell so i dont miss any bits when making the rollcage a feel a monster spawning in the uk as my mate put it the other day :evil2:

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
siman you pretty right there but mine wont have any restictions hence the power we is going for the engine came through a tuning company that only does toyota i am friends with the owner he has friends in motorsport and ther just happened to be enough spares to build a last one so as to speak gpa engine only thing i dont have is the sump cause i had not the money at the time wish i had found the money now

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
decided not to seam weld shell cause we are going to be there for ever so the roll cage should do enough to stegthen up the shell hopefully.
my flexy pipes to help fab the runners still havent turned up what a surprise but my ally 4 inch elbows for the induction system should be here tommorrow so by tuesday of this week might be getting somewhere
so to kill time we have been doing the old faithfull job of continuing with the new wiring loom what a week

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
havent posted for a bit caus waiting for bits to be made but have been busy wiring for those of you that remember how much wiring goes behind the das and fenders check out my new slimmed down loom this is as custom as it gets just waiting on my new fuse box now

Attachments

• MVC-027S.JPG
    MVC-027S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 107
  • MVC-026S.JPG
    MVC-026S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 112
  • MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 168
  • MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 141

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
well as far as transmission goes sticking with r154 going to put rps twin plate carbon clutch and flywheel in will shot peen selector forks cause that is the only real weak part as far as i know
diff wise uk ones were better spec so already have oil cooler fitted as standard on the top so should be ok
touch wood