Group A's group a rebuild

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
scottie thanks your thoughts are appreciated

right i need to swap my injectors got 680cc now i have worked out that i need 1200cc so fine but which are going to be the most reliable to replace my densos
with out being silly on the money cause i have lots to buy
anyone done anything with precision or rc they seem decent money wise

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
also have now dumped th back bumper insert along with the front on in an effort to get under 1300 kg and fuel tank has also now gone as to make way for alloy in car one
what you all reckon can we make it any lighter
have also lost elec radio mast and rear wiper

Attachments

• MVC-033S.JPG
    MVC-033S.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 107
  • MVC-035S.JPG
    MVC-035S.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 152
  • MVC-036S.JPG
    MVC-036S.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 145
  • MVC-037S.JPG
    MVC-037S.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 153
  • MVC-034S.JPG
    MVC-034S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 119

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Great work man!

Looks like your doing more tearing down than building up right now though LOL.

Massive turbo...big 3 liter inline 6....=power.

Hope you hit the 9's too! That would be lovely!

-Jonathan

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
ippy at least the rust is only on the bolt on bit the dosent have any at all shell wise

sim thank for the approval i will be going for it i think ive done the tearing down now so as fund arrive and i finish all my fabrication manifold and so on it will be back to bolt on goodies at last startin to do my head in making everything

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
have turbo positioned someone cant remember who did say would need to mod inner wing and bulkhead looks like i wont have to touch it just have to make the runners from flange on head to collector over next week or to gonna take a while because ther is only mm's to spare
any thoughts on this input is always appreciated

Attachments

• MVC-040S.JPG
    MVC-040S.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 208
  • MVC-041S.JPG
    MVC-041S.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 171
  • MVC-042S.JPG
    MVC-042S.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 158
  • MVC-043S.JPG
    MVC-043S.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 172
  • MVC-044S.JPG
    MVC-044S.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 185

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Re: group a's gpa rebuild

This is what I did to improve on the basic 7M oil system. (Turbo pump, machined to accept a BSP 20mm 90 fitting to AN10 across to another BSP20/AN10 at the rail.)

Plugged the hole going to the normal filter spin on area, used the NA pressure port casting area to fit a NPT 1/2" to AN10 (But if I did it again, I'd use another BSP 20 since they don't stress the block like a compression fitting does, and there is plenty of material on the port casting to seal up the BSP fitting.)
At the return to the galley, the stock thread is BSP 20, so that works out great.
Other stuff no pictured is all AN10 lines to and from the filter and cooler. (And to really clean the oil, I also plumbed in a bypass filter, but that's running AN4 line.)

The accusump is in the back, being used as a speaker grille :)

I agree wtih IJ, the oil system mods can't be overlooked. Cheap insurance for a nice engine in my opinion. (Expensive, but cheaper than a rebuild.)

Nice engine your building up.

If your not going to run the stock fuel tank, why not just run a straight pipe back to the muffler, and put it directly behind the turbo? (Cut the rear cover, you have plenty of room to do that.) Also some holes to let the air pressure out of the cover like Maseo did will help with your top end speed at the track, or elsewhere. (Just does not look great, but it works.)
p35913_1.jpg

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
adjuster i got to say that handsome engine you got there i may look at that when i have fabricated everything at moment concentrating on the turbo and relevant pipe work + fuel system when i have got it all right i am i know going to tear the engine out have whole car repainted in its 206 black paint and engine bay whilst thats out theres a couple of things i am not happy with engine wise and i will address these then but your input is most helpfull thankyou please drop some notes on here as and when you can alway appreciate help cause two head are better than so as to speak
today have finishe cutting up tubular exhaust manifold so next few days it should be ready for welding in new runners then that 42 will be bolted on properley.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Re: group a's gpa rebuild

Thanks, I'd just like to see your GroupA motor make 1000rwhp :) and these oil mods are not too difficult to do while the engine is out, but pretty much impossible in the car. (Best option there is a spin on adapter to route oil to your Mocal cooler and external filter.)

Problem is that still leaves the restrictive size holes and lines from the pump to the outside of the motor. (Starts at the pump, sharp edges at the port where the gears push the oil out, then the banjo fitting to the hard cross over pipe, and the smallish hole/bore up to the filter cast boss. These all contribute at higher RPM to restriction that forces the pump bypass open sooner than it should I think.) Common theory is the pump bypasses at about 40psi. Then the cooler bypass at the filter adapter sends more oil away from the bearings to the cooler.
These mods turn the stock pump into a very high flow unit, with little resitrictions either at the pump, or in the fitting ID size. The filter, cooler and other fittings are all AN10 or better. (Actually had to drill and tap the RX7 cooler to fit AN10 lines with no reduction of ID. AN8 would be a direct fit.) Also machined the pump housing for the AN10, and ported the inlet to smooth flow where possible. The pump bypass is shimmed about 14mm. With cold oil at startup, 80psi is on the Accusump gauge. (I don't think my stock gauge is accurate, it reads 70 one day, and 40 the next...) Time for a good Omori gauge.

I also have a seperate cooler for the PS system, just used the stock oil cooler :) (Was going to use a GM truck trans cooler, but it was too large, 24 row I think, to fit in available space anymore.)

I'll have to shoot a photo or two of the completed project now that the motor is in the car, but where your running no AC, and have that extra room where the condensor was, it should be very simple to run your coolers and lines plus the 4" wide FMIC your talking about. (Mine is just a 3" wide unit.)

Is that an Ebay manifold your using as the base for your GT42? I have been kicking around the idea of using a GT40 on this motor, but as of yet, have not spent the money to do it. (Would need larger injectors, as I'm only on 550's now, or go with two sets of injectors, the 550's and a set of stock 440's and another walbro pump to feed them while the Eman controlls them.)

Between your build, and IJ's, there are some interesting things going on in the community. Here's some more eye candy, with my small bolt on T4 for now. (The rest of the powdercoated stuff was not on, like the chain straps, but that's all red too.)
p35998_1.jpg

Last edited:

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
adjuster yes that was an ebay manifold got it from custom chrome 424 dollars at time thought it will turn to be pile of crap at that money how wrong can one be it was actualy pretty damn good for the money but i only wanted for the flange and collectors so i could redesign it all for myself internaly my will look bit like hks cast one in stainless when done

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
From what I remember, they were just under 700hp for the Group A, 1000cc injectors, and still running a version of the CT26... :)

There is a link somewhere that covers the car, and the oil pan etc.

I'd guess with that cam setup, it's got quite the idle, and sounds pretty mean running too.

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
gpa cars use to run about 560 580hp with modded ct26 not when you think how small that turbo is

Attachments

• Group%20A%20Engine%20Bay%206.jpg
    Group%20A%20Engine%20Bay%206.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Group%20A%20Interior%202.jpg
    Group%20A%20Interior%202.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Group%20A%20Exterior%201.jpg
    Group%20A%20Exterior%201.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Group%20A%20Interior%206.jpg
    Group%20A%20Interior%206.jpg