Aussie MKIII chitchat! (all welcome) NWS

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
so wednesday night i went to the motorplex as usual, took the supra cos i could... it started fine on the way to work in the morning, and again after work... then when i got to the track, i turned it off to sign in, and it wouldn't crank again... just cranked slowly and then stopped... i got it inside, and tried to start it a few times during the night, but it wouldn't turn over...

got home tonight expecting to need to charge the battery to find out whether it was dead... anyway, turned the key tonight and it fired right up, after sitting since wednesday night... so now i'm back to square one...

the terminals were a little loose, so i tightened them tonight, but it had fired before i did that... and was charging at 14.5 volts with no accessories on and 13.6 with the headlights on highbeam and the stereo cranked right up...

so now to test it out, i guess i have to go drive for about half an hour, shut it down and see if it fires again...

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
thats what i thought... it's been cranking slowly when the engines hot since i got the car back on the road... but i let it cool from about 5:30 when i got there, till we left around midnight... so if it was temp related, it should have been ok...

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Have you got a spare to sling on and try? It's a pretty quick n easy job and worth doing even if it is only a 'just in case' scenario. I was half sure it was a starter on mine a while back, changed it over and it was like a new car afterward. Well not quite but you know...

Just walked back in the door from 'an outing', seams as tho I was too hasty with my statement about the aristo being back on road. I have to say I'm far from impressed with toyotas 'reliability' with this particular car... I'm starting to think we should of just brought a new car and dealt with the debt. :(

Xistant

xistant
Jun 6, 2005
melbourne
sds
you run 12 volt off battery, through relay, to starter motor, the power that used to activate solinoid instead activates relay, it makes sure starter gets good volts, relays arnt that fussy, they can trip as low as 8 volt

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
ok... tried a brand new, bigger battery last night... it made no difference...

have just ordered a relay, wire and some terminals, so will give the relay mod a shot next time i'm under the car...

wasn't really planning on jacking it up again, as it's just spent 12 months on stands... but i haven't really got a choice...

btw... anyone know if the relay mod has been used much on 1jz's? when i search, every reference to the relay mod is to MA70's...

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
ok... i don't think the relay is going to help... just jacked the car up to do it and figured i'd check the voltages first... both wires to the starter (trigger and power) see full battery voltage when they should (ie, power all the time and trigger when key is turned to start)

it's looking more and more like the starter, which appears to be a bitch of a job...

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Bugger, but to be honest its not THAT bad of a job. Just make sure you do it on a day your in a patient mood. IIRC it was just tight confines so a lot of 5 deg spannering. Refitting the oil lines on the stock turbos was more of a bitch, but then I'd bent them just enough to not line up any more :p

If you can get your hands on a 2J unit, slightly tighter fit, but a more robust. Heres a pic, 2J is on the left.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
oooo... will have a chat to a mate of mine who is putting one in his race car... i scored the water pump and stock turbos off it, water pump is on my car now.. he's probably using the starter, but on the off chance he's got another one to use, i'll ask him tomorrow night... :)

Xistant

xistant
Jun 6, 2005
melbourne
sds
7m can fit IIRC

but yeah find the 2jz one, there very good and gear reduction type.

hey guys sending my stuff off soon to get anodized, pretty cheap actually, wheres Glen when u need him :p