Aussie MKIII chitchat! (all welcome) NWS

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
requiem: at the end of the day, you won't be building the cage yourself, so your best bet is to consult the person you plan on getting to build the cage... the right person will know the cams rule book inside out... and also know how to build a good strong cage to whatever rule set you choose to work to...

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
ReQuieM;1361862 said:
BTW I picked up some balljoints off ebay a while ago for 70 and I know that about a year ago AJPS (IIRC) was selling sets for about the same. Thats lower fronts.

yeah... AJPS eventually got down to that price... however, in my last job i could have beaten that price hands down (and did for a few people)

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Actually I was planing on building the cage myself, its not rocket science for a half cage. I do almost all the work on my supra myself including the metal work, but as I said I don't have the time atm and I certainly don't have the cash to throw at someone else doing it! lol So its off the cards probably for good as I think this build will be the supra's last ha-rah. Then its onto something new and something old :p

So you were the supplier for todd's GB on supra forums? Makes sense. Where were you working then an now I guess, I don't really know what you do past photography :)

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
i was working for a company called national parts... we supplied to the place todd was working at the time... it also meant we could do the fire extinguisher and bonnet strut group buys... fire extinguisher prices turned out to be nothing special, as you could get them from big W for not much more... (buying power of a supermarket trumps almost any player in the automotive industry), but the bonnet strut deal was a pretty good one, we dealt with gabriels quite heavily, and imported 1 box only of the supra bonnet struts, they were spoken for as soon as i announced we were going to do them, even though i warned everyone they'd probably take about 3 months to get here... turned out they did, and all the original people still wanted them....

not there anymore cos the company went bust (combination of some poor management decisions in the distant past / GE credit pulling the pin, actually before the 'global credit crunch' really hit / other states not meeting their performance targets - WA was performing really well, but we were the only state really pulling their weight, and it finally hit us)

now working for a holden dealer in spare parts, dealing with many of the same parts, buying off people we used to sell to... to start with it was really frustrating knowing how badly we were getting screwed on parts, but i'm getting used to it now...

anyway... back to the cage... the reason i suggested talking to a builder, is that i'm pretty sure you'll need someone suitably qualified to sign off on it... and they usually won't sign off on anyones work except their own... as if you have an accident, and the cage fails, it could come back on them...

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Ah nice one, I didn't realise there was a fire extinguisher and bonnet strut group buy. Been out of it for a while. lol What did you end up getting the struts for? Mine are pretty good but I was just going to get a set from ebay if anything ever died. They're about 60 on there which seams reasonable enough I guess.

A mate of mine runs a ford dealerships workshop, he's always bitching about the prices that he gets on parts. I guess dealers are easy target, plus its easy to pass on the higher prices at a dealership ;)

With the cage, thats pretty much the main reason for giving it a miss. I can make up a quality cage, bolt it in and profit (as they say) but there is no point if I can't get it cert'd for cams or andra. It's just weight then. Same reason I steer clear of the saftey21 cages that come up all the time. Besides the main hoop legs being bolted to the rear wheel well (WTF?) I've been told that they are impossible to cert for a number of reasons.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Any aussies played with the jaycar fuel cut defender? i built one last night whilst drinking and low and behold it doesn't work properly.
I'm thinking i gave to much heat to one of the bits so i need anyone with any electrical nouse to give me a few tips. Since it's quiet in here i thought i share that fact that i'm on holidays and drinking and eating some lasagne..life's good, and if i play my cards right i'll tap the missus on the shoulder later too.:naughty:

Xistant

xistant
Jun 6, 2005
melbourne
sds
ah maybe i should spam this thread its much nicer and i dont have that damn admin chasing me ARGH hehehe

no chasing me IJ might chase u back ;)