88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
and now, here is a good video of the current issue:

[video=youtube;FPjfaW6G_lg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPjfaW6G_lg[/video]

When Sergio give it gas at the beginning and you hear him hit boost, you can hear the fuel cut like hesitation/stutter. As he pulls past on partial throttle in O/D and then 3rd, you can hear the engine coughing.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Awesome!
Glad to see that you're near completion on the drivetrain work!
I've been watching your build, noting all the parallels between yours and mine, as well as taking notes on how i could steal some of your methodology.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thanks!! You're too kind lol, I still have a lot of issues to resolve, not to mention your build is beyond mine on so many levels

Been awhile, here is everything that has happened since the first start and drive.

Took these during the head stud retorque. Everything was pretty clean, retorque went seamlessly.

Running a litle rich

Idling is perfect, running, not so much.

Driving around trying to diagnose.

New plugs, upped gap from .25 to .30. A little better

Sitting in her home.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Well, a purchase I made a month ago has come through, I am 100% positive mine is the only MK3 in the world running these rims. If someone thinks otherwise, LMK.

These are CCW K57s. Since I wasn't sure what offsets CCW would have made for me, I decided to dictate the exact offsets I wanted. I also had them tweak the design to fit ARZ Wilwood BBKs (6pot 14.24in front, 4pot 12.9in rears).
Sizing:

Front 18x9 +38
Rear 18x10 +48

I test fitted them of course

Front seems to be good, may have some swaybar running

Rears are a little tight, will need to install my coilovers and of course, when the car sits down everything will move outboard.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
I just got my new(er) TPS from another 7M-GTE, and also the correct metric feeler gauges to adjust the TPS as per TSRM, I will be doing that tomorrow. In the meantime, some suggested that my problem was fuel related. As such (and according to plan anyways) I installed my new AEM 320lph pump and new OEM fuel filter.

Had a bit of tweaking to do to fit it to my desires. Needed to trim the bottom rubber support/spacer and actually lift the pump up just a hair because the pickup sock filter on the AEM pump sits a tad lower than the box filter on the stock filter.

Cleaned it all up and put it back

The old filter was pretty dirty, fluid came out of it brown and nasty. It was obvious the filter was replaced at some point and not by Toyota because the filter was some cheap chinese model.

However, after all this, I still have the same running issue. The last two things to test are the TPS and possibly AFM. It seems my car has been running AFMs ending in 11 for the whole time, I want to see if an AFM ending in 10 will be better for me. I'll report back later after I finish adjusting my new(er) TPS.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
OK so I installed my aeromotive fpr. The car runs so mu ch better, however there is still a slight stutter and when it does the afrs are spiked at 10 still. I'm thinking it may be injector related. that's just a hunch though. I need to figure out what is causing fuel to be dumped when its not supposed to.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
installed FIC 550cc injectors that are high impedance. Forgot to bypass the injector resistor before trying to start the car. Car didn't start. Bypassed the resistor, car still won't start. Fucking retarded. I'm out of ideas. no blown fuses, no CEL. Resistor plug gets 12v, plug is jumped after the connector. Injectors aren't getting any voltage. no idea why.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I imagine you've already checked on this, but the Tsrm says to check:

Fusible links
Fuses
EFI fuse
Wiring connections
ECU itself

It mentions a few other things related to the afm and coolant temp sensor, but i would doubt those in this case.
Have you checked for codes?

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Hi there!! I don't have the same wheels as you, but they look kind of similar...

p1975521_1.jpg

Panasport G7s.
Funny we had the same idea there.

Just stumbled upon your build thread - its been a great read so far! (though I am only about 1/3 of the way through....) Nice to see another Ice Blue Pearl Supra being taken care of!!! (and not painted another color haha)
Keep up the good work!!

-Faye

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thanks man!! Those wheel do look good!!

I plan on using 295s in the back and 255s in the front. This may or may not change depending on how much clearance I have after installing the coilovers.

As soon as I have funding, I'm going to purchase a set of LOW impedance 550cc injectors and go from there. Still trying to figure out which ones will be best. I did message suprasport on facebook to see if the RC injectors they sell are low impedance.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have a set of RC 550 PL8's that I bought off Rodel for sale. They are indeed low impedance, and I had th flow tested about 2000 km ago. I may also have the pigtails. Went with ID1000's on my car. Pm me if interested.

RCTS installed, tested, uninstalled for me, so they are in like new condition.

(Just tossed this in, my build isn't quite done but the LIPP Lexus AFM and injectors are now off the car. Hopefully not poor form to inject this here... Lol)

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Hey, I am certainly interested in your RC 550s! PM me on how much you envision you'd want for the injectors and pigtails, I may have to ask you to wait a month or so for me to get my finances stable again, hopefully that's cool. I won't need the AFM though lol, already have one on the car =D

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Im selling for 350.00 USD + shipping (what I paid for them). If I have the clips I will throw them in free. These are like new, just cheaper and Im firm on that price. I have everything except the turbo for a BPU on a 7M.. lol. I am not actively selling them (as with almost all my parts). I usually just offer them up for sale when I see someone needing what I have. I doubt they will sell before spring anyway unless someone comes by my garage and says they need them :)

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Sorry I didn't include any details.

Here's the low down. Timing is stock set to 10 degrees IIRC. I had two codes last night (51,41), I fixed those today, so now codes. However the CEL does flash/blink when it's running, but no code is stored.

Fuel system is AEM 320lph at 43.5psi (Aeromotive AFPR) and fuel pump resistor bypassed
Injectors are HIGH impedance FIC 550cc with injector resistor bypassed (I verified 12v at each injector last night)
Spark plugs are NGK 4744 gapped to .30
Modified the ground on the ignitor
Air intake is Lexus AFM with adjustment screw all the way in and 57trim CT26. Full 2.5in IC hard pipes and 2.75 HKS 3K pipe

I went through the harness and verified everything is in order, all wires are fine. Grounds are all fine.