88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
For those of you who are curious, this is what my engine bay looks like after about 1.5 years of daily driving and minimal upkeep:

I determined that this might actually be oil seeping out of the hose itself. This is a hose from the silicone kit made in China, of course. Not bad enough to cause any issues, but still annoying.

From what we can see here, it looks like my massive oil burning issue is localized to (left to right) pistons 6, 3 and 1. I replaced the valve seals (the job from which this batch of pictures is sourced) and did not improve the situation at all. Since the oil burning is localized like this, I (and my friends that I discuss this with) feel this eliminates the PCV and Turbo as culprits and leaves two left: the valve guides themselves, or the piston rings. This is what I think, someone with knowledge please learn me, but if my compression numbers are good (on par with the 180 in pistons 1-5 and 175 in 6 when I did a compression test 6700 miles ago) then, it is the valve guides. If the numbers are bad, then it's the rings. Either way I am fucked, but I can live with the valve guides since a head build is in the future. If it's the rings, I am also fucked as I don't have time to pull the engine out and redo the rings. Opinions welcome.

And finally, some cleaned up glamour shots of the new engine bay, please, feast your eyes:

Note the shaved valve covers!

Oh yes, semi clear timing cover to hide the glaring blue belt that matches exactly nothing in my bay

Here you can see how I fixed the AFPR mount to clear my poor fire blanket

Thanks for keeping up, folks! Obviously there is more inbound, and this summer will be absolutely jam packed with progress and changes. Hint: Recaros, Black Interior, swap and AEM

I'm gonna try to upload some pics from my phone as well, since those have been retouched and look way more awesome than these bland ones.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thank you!

Compression test was good, 175 and 180s across the board again. Seems the oil burning is valve keeper related. But since doing the valve seal job, some new issues have arisen. I seem to be losing connection to my CPS when the engine gets hot. The old solder connections I had broke during a drive. I replaced those with crimps, but the same issue arose a couple days later. Replaced the entire CPS with a new reman one but this one barely gets me out of the neighborhood. The resistances are too high as per TSRM. Going to reattempt soldering my old CPS to see if that solves my issue.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
wow. It's been almost a year. Guess I should update this thread.

While I prepare files for upload etc, feel free to follow me on instagram, I am currently going through the history of the car and will soon be caught up with current events. The handle is Jasmine_A70, hope to see y'all there.