88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Hi everyone!! :wave:

[Update: June 6th, 2015
Reading some of these super old posts makes me blush in embarassment, but I'll keep it all here for record. I have decided to add page numbers for big events and mile points since this thread is almost 100 pages long (if you have your SM set to 10 posts per page). I'll add in post numbers as well if that helps:

A lot of the pics went missing and the links are now bad, I have no idea why, the Photobucket album has not changed and all the pics are still there. Trying to heal the links is just not worth it so here is a link to my actual Photobucket and you can follow along even if the pic link are broken:
http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Jetlithium14/story

Milestones:
- Page 26 post 256: First headgasket job
- Page 41 post 404: Rear ended, results in major changes aesthetically
- Page 56 post 553: Rod knock, results in engine rebuild and more major changes
- Page 86 post 860: Pics are finally back, lots of new parts, engine rebuild is still under way
- Page 88 post 875: Rebuilt engine installed, moved to new place
- Page 91 post 901: First start
- Page 94 post 931: Return from two year hiatus and massive picture/update dump

Resume]

I'm Andrew and relatively new to this forum. I've spent the last week or so reading many threads and searching for answers... and now have decided to start my own thread. A little about myself and the subject of this thread. I was recently discharged from the Marines :bigun2: and am on my way to start school and a new life. I was born in Florida but after many moves, ended up in Portland, OR, where my journey begins. I apologize for the lack of photos, they will come I promise (my photobucket has loaded to 35%... and it's been like an hour).. please bear with me and enjoy the story thus far LoL

The 1988 (I think Toyota called it "Sky Blue") Supra turbo and I have a very long history, in fact she was the car I was born in... literally!! (I always address vehicles as she... I mean who wants to ride a guy?!?!) As my parents stated, they bought the car when my mom was pregnant with me because they needed something "fast and reliable" lmao

Anyways, my dad was never into "car stuff" so the supra was simply a "reliable DD" for about 10 years at which point (and this is all what my dad told me) the cylinder rings began to leak, causing oil to get into the combustion chambers. For some reason, my dad deemed this as a no biggy... and continued to drive the car for a couple more years on a couple bad cylinders. I will add at this point that no action was taken to preserve the leather inside the car (pictures will come soon as I am currently uploading to my photobucket account). After the move to Portland, my mom drove the supra for the last time when it "died on the highway". Again, no action was taken to fix the car. Since I was in High School... somehow my interests never strayed to cars as I never felt the urge to get a license, and was preoccupied with sports and girls and guns LoL. Hence the car also avoided my attention and here the story turns south even more.

During a recent discussion with my father (heated too may I add) he stated that he didn't think the car really needed any fixing so he "drove it until it wouldn't start anymore" !!::hang:: ... the car then proceeded to sit on the driveway for 5 years until my contract with the Marines was coming to an end and I needed a car to supplement my license for "life after the Marines". After much discussion I decided the supra was the perfect car for me (let the record show I had no idea what the real condition of the car was, being away for 4 yrs and never having examined the car closely before).

My dad told me all the car needed was a new engine and she would run fine!!... well I found a new 7MGTE+transmission for $1400 from Everdrive. (They have a huge selection of JDM parts for decent pricing... I would link the website but it seems recently the domain is missing or broken.. Not sure it was a good decision but they seemed reputable and even sent me videos of each cylinder getting compression tested) and had it sent to a shop my dad had picked "from a friends referral". Here I made more mistakes, I was still away and had no choice in what shop to use (I later found out after joining this forum that BIC performance was about an hour or so away... I think... *total FAIL). The chosen shop only had one mechanic who, after I finally got home and he was already halfway through the swap, told me this was his first engine swap... :icon_cry:... four months later and $2600 for the labor, I finally got my car back ... yes four months

After the engine swap more problems arose and I had to take the car to Toyota for new front brake rotors (10% below minimum), pads (0% left), and a new left front wheel bearing... all this about $1200

Here I would like to mention that at this point I was 4 months behind schedule on my planned move down to Austin, Texas... so I was in a HUGE hurry to get on the move. I left Portland a month after the engine swap and arrived in San Jose (to visit family and Mom)... I have been here for 4 weeks now... more car problems arose after the 2 day drive down.

Apparently my AFM had gone bad and was causing major hesitation and coughing, and since I my savings was emptied out by the engine swap I decided my current goal was to stay as stock as possible and get the car to a reliable state. After a new $400 AFM, my problems were reduced to (at the time):

-Dying bird squeal from speedometer cable
-Loose shifter
-varying deterioration of interior and exterior

(Again I will apologize for lack of photos... they are coming :icon_surp)

It was during this time I stumbled upon Supramania and truly had my Supra spirit awoken LoL. I will also add that I had the continued help of one of my uncles from LA who works as a technician for Ferrari, and previously owned a MK3, which later was sold for a MK4 that he modded to over 800HP. He now has a 350Z closing in on 800 HP (but he admits that his Supra's are far superior lmao)... As you can imagine his feedback is priceless... I try not to bother him too much though... new baby n all :icon_razz

(56% loading of photos)

During my time here in SJ I have fixed up as much as I could... and in the process found more and more problems... The speedometer cable was replaced yesterday and today I got my new bushings from Toyota and now my shifter is rock solid :D (As the second poster in this thread stated, they had LITERALLY turned to dust :aigo:)

So now that my squealing is gone, I can now hear all the other strange noises the car makes :(. Today I also found a fuel leak coming from the fuel damper (new part ordered today from Toyota... $147)

As my Ferrari uncle suggested I decided I'm going to start off with a simple upgrade with the Apexi power intake. I also found a really cool set of smoked lights on ebay (I made sure the vendor was highly rated... and lo and behold, my items arrived quickly and in perfect condition Here's the link) Of course I made sure to replace the two front bulbs with orange ones since the set comes with a pair of orange and red for the side lights. As for my intake I made the mistake of ordering from Suprasport since I AM in a huge hurry to continue on my way to Austin. I decided to order from a different source; Andy's Auto Sport located here in California here's the link to supra parts I really don't want to leave until I get that damn air filter kit lmao

Well... this has been such a long post... I think I hit everything... once my photos are done loading, I will post them and include anything else I may have missed...

I really hope there will be lots of feedback as I continue on my journey to restore the Supra and upgrade her to ... since she's going to be my dd... 500hp and the debate in my mind rages on if I should go manual or not... (I still need to learn manual...:1zhelp: LoL)... I have so many thing in mind that I WANT to do to the car... but reality still has the last say lmao

Also, I will try my utmost to answer questions thrown my way and also keep this thread as interesting and thought provoking as a Supra noob can... :dunno:

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Oh yeah... the shop that did the engine swap said the old engine had a BHG... lmao...

Last edited:

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Ok here is my first attempt to load photos... testing testing

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

YAY success :D

Ok so that was the engine I ordered from Everdrive, and here are a couple photos of her in the shop:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And here is after I got her back:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Wasp Nest 1:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Wasp Nest 2
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Wasp Nest 3
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Trying to clean her up a bit
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

So that's where I was before leaving for San Jose.. those wasp nests are testament to how long that car was stationary on the garage :thumbsdow

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

OK Now we get into more fixing up...

Here me and my other uncle are switching out as many fluids as possible... since most of it had been sitting for years.... and years... and years...

Got brake, power steering, differential, and transmission switched out... power steering is still dirty :( I plan on doing another bleed soon...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here are photos I took while switching out the AFM

Don't think thats normal... inside the accordion pipe
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Perhaps this explains my bad AFM...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

First of my cosmetic fixes.... Rusted wiper blades and front windshield cowl

Sanded them, nice and clean then applied auto primer and 2 coats of Black Satin... pretty nice if I may say so myself :D
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Unfortunately you can still see the spot where it had worn down to the metal and rusted... tried to alleviate that as much as possible...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Cleaned out the gutters... so to speak
sm_photo_missing.jpg

And all installed back on
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

note the lil wiper adapters I got... I debated switching out the whole arms for newer J-hook ones... but settled on the adapters I found in a junkyard lmao...

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
OK here I got into scrubbing and cleaning out the engine bay... 20 years worth of dirt and grime.... Simple Green FTW lmao

Corroded Battery place... dunno where the battery stay went...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

As per my nature... I absolutely must have thing in perfect alignment and cleanliness... hence:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

that red cover bugs me... it wont sit right.... once I get a better battery I'll fix up a nice stay .. maybe relocate it when I decide to go FFIM

sm_photo_missing.jpg

100% stock... except that weird Oil cap... which came with the JDM engine (which btw came off of a celica apparently =O)... the cap also fyi... just covers the stock cap LoL... so its gone now

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

word to my temporary supra stick until I get new hood struts... Autozone ::w00t::

Decided to do something about my leaking Brake lights... and the rusted spare tire well... I want to spray VHT nitelite on the brakes to get em dark like my smoked lights

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

strange sticky goo all up on the inside of my car.... :: angry ::
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I have NO IDEA what it is...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I am DEFINITELY getting new speakers and sound system for my car... DEFINITELY... I love my good sound quality (kinda wish I could get my hands on some BOSE speakers for the car LoL)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

A squirrel decide to inspect my car while I was having lunch... little fella wasn't scared of me at all!!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

LoL cute little guy

After cleaning... wasn't that much rust...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Sprayed rust converter then... decide to just clearcoat... Paint job is in the future, looking to get a dark grey... like the Lamborghini Reventon gray... *droool
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Took off all the unnecessary trim... wheel wells, door edges
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

UPS delivers GOODIES!!! WHOOHOO!!!!
New speedometer
sm_photo_missing.jpg

New lights
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

all that faded paint is no bueno... :cry:

remember how I said I'm a sticker for perfection and uniformity?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Took those off to change that blue coupler to black LoL!!!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Still looks soooo dirty...

New lights and bulbs... still legal, but also BADASS lmao
sm_photo_missing.jpg

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Changing out the speedometer cable... not as bad as I thought...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Notice how the spots for the clasps are different? really bugs me since my new cable is secured in a weird spot next to the trans... *sigh

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Where is it????
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Oh there it is!!!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Looking up from underneath the dash
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Took the top off cuz I kept banging my head into it getting in and out so much lmao
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Anyone know how to restore these buttons??? like get rid of the ballooning and the faded paint around lettering or pictures?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Finally.. new cable in and putting it back together :D
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Trying to see how to fix my loose shifter
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And there's my fuel leak.... yay:sarcasm:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Oh and look what I found changing out my speedo cable!! a stripped hole for the transmission support piece, not sure what it's called exactly
sm_photo_missing.jpg

more pics of where the speedo cable goes for those of us who might need to change it in the future... lmao
sm_photo_missing.jpg

See how that hook is in the wrong spot??? argh... bugs me
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Not sure it should be this easy to pull it out so far...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

See?!?!?! they turned to dust!!!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

and last photo of the day... my cockpit as is... 100% stock, but very clean... and everything is fixed... except my AC... *sigh
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Thanks for reading this far guys... I'll keep posting as I keep working on it... hopefully soon I can start giving yall some more exciting photos to see... I'm gonna have lotsa questions... but knowing this forum the answers gonna be out there if not here :icon_surp

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

OH yeah... as these pics show... you can tell how bad the interior got from years of neglect... if she would have been taken care of, none of the interior would be this way... I had to get a steering wheel cover because pieces of whatever toyota used to cover the wheel kept coming off in my hands... and the leather on the seats is cracked and split like none other... stained and faded carpet... however I do plan on doing an interior remake into two toned black/grey with my grey paint job and new speakers... :D

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Andrew, welcome aboard and congrats on the fine work you're doing to her. The lights, wipers and cowl look awesome. The car looks so much better already. Keep up the great work. WOW you weren't kiddin when you said you had a lot of pics...lol.

Having gone through a complete bumper to bumper restore, repair, upgrade process (Brandon did most of the work for me) albeit my '89 was in better condition to start with. It still cost a fortune but I am extremely pleased with the nearly finished product as I know you will be with yours once it's done as well. As for your color choice that will look awesome with the Lamborghini Reventon gray/black leather. I stayed with midnight blue mica metallic/blue leather. The only thing Lambo on mine is the GT Factory Diablo doorkit...lol.

Don't know if you checked into it or not but there was a group buy on floor mats. I think the ladies name was Anne and she had the two front & two rear in various colors and in grand plush, plush, and berber and she embroidered the fronts with the MK3 or MK4 Supra script. I'll see if I can find the link.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?65331-New-floormats-available-still!!
If I can't then this site has mats too just not as nice as her's
http://www.qualitycarmats.com/FloorMat5.asp

As for carpet here is an ebay link that seems okay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-9...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa79c2ea6

Also for the seats there is a nice set of black leather seat covers. The full front/rear usually sells for $499 plus shipping. They sell front for $275, rear for $249, but this one is auction style but with a reserve. Use your best judgement as to what that could be (I'm thinking $425 ish) & Free shipping but still for genuine leather seat covers that look awesome on that's not bad. Check out their store for other options. They are in Houston, Texas btw.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

You're lucky to have a JDM importer nearby. I tracked down some JDM & EDM stuff over the years. Folding EDM side mirrors from a guy in Europe, JDM Turbo A duct, as well as other goodies.

Last edited:

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thanks for the kind words guys!!
-JCFsupraman: I'm gonna take some time later to go through all those links :D thanks!! And what were you referring to by "JDM importer nearby"?? =O
-Razoe: thanks for the tip!! do the 89+ units use the same plugs in the back? or are wire modifications needed?

more pics soon!!! working on getting the pinstripe off... cant seem to fade the paint though :(

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
New Pics.... some bad stuff :(

OK so I found and fixed my fuel leak
but first I did the power window mod... to get the auto up as well as auto down...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

in case anyone wants to know how... just remove the little tab underneath the auto switch on the up side

courtesy of:
http://gallery.sanitylapse.com/v/supra/Window+Auto-up+Mod/

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

All done

And then to fix my fuel leak... noticed the janky tube... looks like it was sabotaged from some random pipe
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

theres the leak...

what a nightmare...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

nope... the valley dont look black cuz its in the shadow... its black from leaking oil and dirt.. and grime... and nastiness :(

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I don't know much about engine internals (yet) but should the cams look like this?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And here's the valve cover itself, if you look closely, you can see at least two different kinds of sealant were used... and the black kind is EVERYWHERE... horrible messy job :(
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

that's all for now... waiting on new gaskets from toyota and fipg/screw seals from driftmotion

btw... found a cool vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4yT4zDHPkM
I like his headlight mod... and found the NSX oem headlights on ebay... *sigh killer price... :( here are the links if anyone else has the money to dish out for what's imho the best looking headlight mod out there for us mk3 guys
right side:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
left side:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

t-t-t-tthats all folks!!! (for today):icon_surp

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Lookin good. As for the cams use light sand paper on the lobes... IF you want to clean them up Did that to mine & its working great, not that cleaning the lobes would affect performance..

one of my Fuel regulators is missing that small phillips screw? is that important?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
I read somewhere that little screw is your fuel pressure indicator... correct me if I'm wrong please... as in it pops up when the fuel lines are pressurized (flush with the rest of the dampener) and of course when its not popped up means no pressure...

oh and Gota7MGTE by lobes did you mean the red stripe thingys on the covers? oh wait nvm... you meant the actual cams... are you sure its ok to sand them?? =O maybe I'm totally reading that wrong lmao

change of topic... I've been thinking about headlight mods... and after reading many many heated and spirited thread regarding this topic... I decided my dream would be to get NSX lamps... but that is out of the question monetarily speaking soooooo... I know by now after all that reading that to do it properly, one needs to get actual projectors along with the lamps and ballast etc etc... so my question is... do these fit the bill?? :
http://www.futurevisionhid.com/h6054-200mm-hid-projector-headlight.html

it's the best I could find...

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

oh yeah and another question... I found two walkthroughs for the foglight mod (from what I understand the fogs will turn on with running lights when the switch is turned to position prior to all lights full on) has anyone done this mod? and if so, are the fogs stilled controlled by the lights switch/stick/thingy on the steering column and the dashboard switch, or are they now controlled by another switch (maybe the defogger since I see that it gets wired into the defogger... ) I am hopelessly lost in electronics fyi :( so any tips are much appreciated :D

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
lithium14;1666521 said:
I read somewhere that little screw is your fuel pressure indicator... correct me if I'm wrong please... as in it pops up when the fuel lines are pressurized (flush with the rest of the dampener) and of course when its not popped up means no pressure...

oh and Gota7MGTE by lobes did you mean the red stripe thingys on the covers? oh wait nvm... you meant the actual cams... are you sure its ok to sand them?? =O maybe I'm totally reading that wrong lmao

change of topic... I've been thinking about headlight mods... and after reading many many heated and spirited thread regarding this topic... I decided my dream would be to get NSX lamps... but that is out of the question monetarily speaking soooooo... I know by now after all that reading that to do it properly, one needs to get actual projectors along with the lamps and ballast etc etc... so my question is... do these fit the bill?? :
http://www.futurevisionhid.com/h6054-200mm-hid-projector-headlight.html

it's the best I could find...

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

oh yeah and another question... I found two walkthroughs for the foglight mod (from what I understand the fogs will turn on with running lights when the switch is turned to position prior to all lights full on) has anyone done this mod? and if so, are the fogs stilled controlled by the lights switch/stick/thingy on the steering column and the dashboard switch, or are they now controlled by another switch (maybe the defogger since I see that it gets wired into the defogger... ) I am hopelessly lost in electronics fyi :( so any tips are much appreciated :D

I have no idea on the fuel system all i know is that there are "Injectors, Fuel Rail, Fuel Line, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Fuel Tank, Fuel Regulator, & now Fuel Pulsation Dampener" lols

& for the headlights.. $549? USD!!! I see those on EBAY for way cheaper. But those on ebay are crap lol. So i can't help on that..

As for the defogger... that thing consumes a sht load of power + the fog lights = crapped out battery. Happened to my old man's MKII.. he had the rear defogger for most of the trip. Battery started dying while the car was on, everything started to get dimmer & dimmer, then he shut off the defogger & helllooo powaaa. Next day it wouldn't start But That's was an MKII tho.. Unless your going to make the defogger button the fog light button

DO NOT USE COARSE SAND PAPER.. use very light sand paper. Smooth to rub your finger against.. My Old man is a tech & he told me to do it so heck i did & it didn't affect performance just cleaned the lobes on the cam lol. I saw him do it to his crankshaft on his car.. The things got 40K (yes 40,000) miles on that crank now. But like i said DO NOT USE COARSE sand paper it has to be smooth enough for your finger to rub against it without feeling coarse.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
lithium14;1666412 said:
Thanks for the kind words guys!!
-JCFsupraman: I'm gonna take some time later to go through all those links :D thanks!! And what were you referring to by "JDM importer nearby"?? =O

Oh my bad. I thought you said Everdrive was nearby and had JDM products.
I see that they are in Richmond, Virginia, or at least were for the past 7 years
http://www.linkedin.com/companies/everdrive
but it seems that they may have closed or went out of business.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101129064657AAKWmoM
I'd try some of the other places on this list though if you needed to find anything.
http://webmonitor.fyxm.net/www.everdrive.com

NokaoiMK3

Drifter..
Jul 27, 2008
Gilbert Arizona
I have a mint climate control from my 90 supra ill sell ya if ya want.. Its the same as the 89 and it is in like new condition... PM me if your interested

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
NokaoiMK3;1666682 said:
I have a mint climate control from my 90 supra ill sell ya if ya want.. Its the same as the 89 and it is in like new condition... PM me if your interested

Id go ahead & buy it from ^ my friend. I bought one for my 87 & i have no regrets.