88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
::w00t:: pm sent!! man... cali weather is deciding to go bad apparently... gonna need to take over the garage lmao =O

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

agh that news about everdrive... sucks man, they had a really big selection of jdm stuff... like no joke... wish I woulda bought some more stuff off of them... *sigh then again... seems I got my engine just in time lmao!!

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

about the fog light mod... thats the thing that's keeping me from actually doing it... I'm just not sure how it works... are the foglights switched on and off via the defogger? or are they just hooked into the defogger powersource? or is everything normal just that the fogs get turned on when the running lights are on? ... but it's not a urgent thing at all so... I'm staying away from confusing electronics for a bit lmao... but if anyone is interested, I started a new headlight thread because of all the headlight threads I've read... no solution is ever presented in them for a good legal HID retrofit... so check it out if ur interested (i found a couple really good sites where you can buy the REAL HID kits, just need to figure out how to fit them onto our cars)

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?136757-Headlight-mod...-do-these-fit-the-bill/page2 .. off to work on the car :D

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
oh, don't follow that foglight mod, that's only for 89+ cars, you need this one:

http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=41

what you do is grab ground from the defroster switch, which can be turned on as soon as you have 12v, the foglight switch needs the headlights on for the switch to function...

the foglights can be turned on whenever you have a 12v source, but turn off as soon as you cut power, so they can only be turned on when you have the key in. The foglight switch still functions to turn them on and off, and your headlights/parking lights work the same. Basically what it does is removes the fogs from the headlight system..

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
lithium14;1666741 said:
::w00t:: pm sent!! man... cali weather is deciding to go bad apparently... gonna need to take over the garage lmao =O

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

agh that news about everdrive... sucks man, they had a really big selection of jdm stuff... like no joke... wish I woulda bought some more stuff off of them... *sigh then again... seems I got my engine just in time lmao!!

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

about the fog light mod... thats the thing that's keeping me from actually doing it... I'm just not sure how it works... are the foglights switched on and off via the defogger? or are they just hooked into the defogger powersource? or is everything normal just that the fogs get turned on when the running lights are on? ... but it's not a urgent thing at all so... I'm staying away from confusing electronics for a bit lmao... but if anyone is interested, I started a new headlight thread because of all the headlight threads I've read... no solution is ever presented in them for a good legal HID retrofit... so check it out if ur interested (i found a couple really good sites where you can buy the REAL HID kits, just need to figure out how to fit them onto our cars)

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?136757-Headlight-mod...-do-these-fit-the-bill/page2 .. off to work on the car :D

If you turn on the fog lights with the Defogger thatll mean you turn on the defogger as well.. draining the battery. Id modify the Fog light switch. It should be a pain in the azz... its electrical & what is electrical usually is a nightmare unless youve got a key chart. lol

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Gota7MGTE;1666803 said:
If you turn on the fog lights with the Defogger thatll mean you turn on the defogger as well.. draining the battery. Id modify the Fog light switch. It should be a pain in the azz... its electrical & what is electrical usually is a nightmare unless youve got a key chart. lol

RazoE;1666801 said:
oh, don't follow that foglight mod, that's only for 89+ cars, you need this one:

http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=41

what you do is grab ground from the defroster switch, which can be turned on as soon as you have 12v, the foglight switch needs the headlights on for the switch to function...

the foglights can be turned on whenever you have a 12v source, but turn off as soon as you cut power, so they can only be turned on when you have the key in. The foglight switch still functions to turn them on and off, and your headlights/parking lights work the same. Basically what it does is removes the fogs from the headlight system..

Ohhh so we are just using the 12v ground form the defogger... but as gota7mgte mentions... will turning on the defogger drain the battery even more?.. man i must sound like an idiot asking all these redundant questions... :( i just like to be extra sure about what I might be doing with wiring...

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

sm_photo_missing.jpg

a longass strand of pinstriping.... LoL

So I had to use a painter's whatjamacallit thingy to scrape off the pinstripe since I don't have a heat gun or that spray on remover or a power tool to rub off pinstripes... and I think I did a good job of avoiding disaster with scratching the clearcoat... :p
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Pile of pinstripe LoL

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

now to continue the wait for parts... *sigh

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

now... if anyone has tips on how to blend the faded and nonfaded paint... I'd be forever grateful... if you look really close you can still see the image of the pinstripes...

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
awesome!! once I finally get my freaking parts I will take a look at the f/l mod... seems alot of ppl have done it. just got my new radiator cap to replace my leaky one... and a new oil cap both from hks... looks pretty nice, but kinda sticks out since my engine bay is not at that level of looks yet lmao....

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Andy's Auto sport sent one part my order to my billing address instead of my shipping... *sigh extra wait time... and toyota has not received my valve cover gaskets yet either... wtf

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
car has come a long way dude. looks nice. as far as the fog light mod, i think theres even a way to use the cigarette lighter for a power source instead of the defrost,

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
lithium14;1667030 said:
Thanks!! I think the mod works as long as you have the f/l spliced into any 12v source.. like the guy in this read-up http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=41 used his taillights... which I think is what I would choose as well

yeah that does seem like a good place to splice them in with. I'm gonna do a similat nmod on my integra, ex cpet im gonna splice them in with the parking lights so i can turn the parking lights and fogs on with one click of the head switch sonce i just leave teh fog switch set to on anyways.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
I think your taillights and parking lights are on the same circuit thingy... cuz they both come one when the switch is turned ?one notch? .... someone please correct me if im wrong...

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Yes i believe they are on the same line as the lights (tails and side markers) all come on at the same time, but i believe its the 2nd click on the light switch, the first ones just there for whatever reason it serves lol

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
:werd: LoL well guys... it's a little slow now... I ordered an Apexi power intake about a week ago... and still no show. Autozone still hasn't shipped my new struts yet... also ordered a week ago. My package of NiteShade got sent to Oregon... instead of Cali. Toyota still doesn't have my valve cover gaskets... and it seems Driftmotion is the only reliable shipper with my order of fipg/nut washers for the valve cover and a battery tie-down coming on monday... wish they had apexi air filters, but then I suppose since that is a "rare" item for such an old car... take everyone a long time to get one in supply :dunno:

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
I get so fucking frustrated with slow order processing and shipping... especially when I'm stuck at a relatives place that clearly wants me gone... FUCK... how the fuck does it take so long to get an item in stock and ship it out?!??!!?! Jesus christ my car isn't that fucking old... I even paid for express shipping wtf is the use of fast shipping if the order takes weeks to process???

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Well Im off to go purchase toyo red coolant and engine oil... any suggestions for what kinda oil i should use??.. and also any suggestions for how to flush out all my green coolant so i can fill with toyo red?

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Sucks about the slow shipping process man, I'd be heated too especially if I paid for express haha.

As for engine oil; http://www.supramania.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?108-Motor-Oil-Lubricants-amp-Filtration

The car looks good, crazy how a thin strips of sticker (pin stripes) can really change the appearance of the car. I removed pinstripes from my bro's TL and an old civic of mine with my fingers! It took a couple days as I did little sections at a time from day to day, patience is a great attribute. ;)

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
LoL thanks for the kind words and the link... and yeah I was really surprised at the difference a lack of pinstripes made LoL so much sleeker imo

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
OK so... all the stuff related to suspension and steering needs to be fixed... cuz when I turn on a slope there is a very apparent shaking/shimmy going on that I can both feel and see... literally see the car shaking from side to side... also sometimes on startup, there will be a very loud whining noise... sometimes it only starts after the car has been running for a couple minutes... and the only time it goes away is if I rev the engine to higher rpm's for a short time and then it goes away... it's hard for me to tell where it's coming from, I can hear it equally well inside and outside of the car... more diagnosing to come tomorrow

For today I replaced my headlights and foglights with silverlights and sprayed the metal mounting brackets black pictures to come soon

*sigh I wonder if my car will survive the 2000 mile drive to Austin... with the jacked up steering and suspension... and the queer noises...

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
alright pics of todays work... nothing special just light replacement.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Looks kinda creepy with no lights... they're like empty eye sockets... *shudder

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

new and old comparison... this pic makes it hard to tell but it was really obvious in person: top left and bottom right are the sylvanias, top right and bottom left are the old ones

sm_photo_missing.jpg

clean eye socket

sm_photo_missing.jpg

blacked out light frames :D

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

so you can't really tell... well it makes me feel better so there!! lmao

sm_photo_missing.jpg

All new lights
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Well as I am working on properly sealing the valve covers... I discovered that one of the pulleys is loose... photobucket is being dumb so I can't upload pics yet, however its the top pulley in the forward most belt, the one that drives the AC I think, right below the alternator. It's a small pulley at the top of the triangle that is the forward belt... dunno if that helps.. Anyways it's loose, I can shake it slightly... my question is... is it a pain to fix, and I'm pretty sure it's important since I've read ppl having their pulley's explode causing massive damage to everything up front... i hope ppl respond quickly... this worries me alot...