88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
LoL thanks!! meh not sure I dig yellow.... are the ones in ur sig yellow?

and here are the pics of the loose pulley.. photobucket finally got their act together.... ??

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

right now I am having one helluva time scraping off the old sealant... both kinds *sigh there's so much of it..... and I'm only putting fipg on the corners and where the tsrm dictates... i put very very little on the long straight sides since imo the valve covers look like they were mistreated before all pitted and scraped up

and I need a new spark plug valley cover... unless someone says otherwise cuz my old one is disintegrating... and I haven't a clue how to clean out the valley itself. I took out one sparkplug to inspect it only to find it's hole was filled with oil :(... I swear I can hardly wait until I can do a full engine rebuild.... the more I look into this one, the more I find dissatisfaction in the quality of workmanship that was put into it's previous rebuild before I bought it

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Ok I'm so flipping mad right now... I can't get the FREAKING OIL FILTER OFF.... WHO THE HELL DECIDED TO PUT THE OIL FILTER IN THE MOST INACCESSIBLE PLACE!!!!???!?!?!?!?!

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
YEah... took me awhile to get that feller off... ok pics now

My old destroyed sparkplug valley cover
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

LoL the janky tool I created for those bolts

Some damage I found on the head under the valve covers... heres an indent, dunno if the picture shows it very well , also not sure if this is a big deal or not...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Same indent
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
looks like they really went at it with a screwdriver... :(

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
yay fresh cover from toyo!!

this was like resident evil status...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
all cleaned up

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
polished up the heat shield a bit :D

Looks like a lotta burnt oi... need I be worried?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
flaky paint...

this is where I put fipg... someone tell me if I did it right...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

tried to keep it as clean as possible

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

OK so I was revving and this blue lil feller blew a small amount of coolant everywhere...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Is that bad??

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Oh yeah took a look at my bushings while down there... or... where they're supposed to be at least

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

So in all.. I only drained a little over 3 qts of oil... I'd say I was having a big leak, since toyota did an oil change about a month ago... and the tsrm says 4.7

I went with RP 5w-30 and I put in about 5.7 qts.... 1 qt over full as ppl say oh and I changed the filter to a wix filter

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Nice.. your cleaning what you can.. as for the BVSV get it from Ebay. 10 buck shipped? i broke mine installing it though.. be REAL careful with those fragile little bastards. As for the bushings you can get them from Driftmotion. I need to replace them as well but don't have funds for the MKIII since i got my eyes on a near mint MKII :naughty:

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Huh... so that BVSV is it supposed to open when the coolant system is over pressured?... mine doesn't even look like the BVSV's I've seen... except for the blue part, it's like the two long pieces were never there...

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
lithium14;1669049 said:
Huh... so that BVSV is it supposed to open when the coolant system is over pressured?... mine doesn't even look like the BVSV's I've seen... except for the blue part, it's like the two long pieces were never there...

BVSV doesn't pass coolant. Its bottom shouldn't be pierced & it most certainly shouldn't spill coolant out from the two ports it has. when the engine reaches a certain temperature it opens up allowing fuel vapor from the canister to enter the throttle body..

& yea ITS BROKEN.... lol

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
LOL yeah I just did a search for BVSV... LOL shoulda done that earlier :( .... thanks for the heads up!! I had no idea what that was... so I need some vacuum lines as well as the BVSV... time to go shopping!!! haha

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
So... polyurethane bushings from dirftmotion... has anyone gotten them? are they black or red... and does anyone know if they have black vacuum lines? or perhaps the 5/16 push lock in black?? the line from my charcoal canister is plugged LOL... and so the BVSV has nothing going to it... and I wonder how coolant managed to spray out of it... if coolant doesn't pass through the BVSV... does that mean my coolant spray is from something else? anyways... got some more done today, pics are uploading right now

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
lithium14;1669298 said:
So... polyurethane bushings from dirftmotion... has anyone gotten them? are they black or red... and does anyone know if they have black vacuum lines? or perhaps the 5/16 push lock in black?? the line from my charcoal canister is plugged LOL... and so the BVSV has nothing going to it... and I wonder how coolant managed to spray out of it... if coolant doesn't pass through the BVSV... does that mean my coolant spray is from something else? anyways... got some more done today, pics are uploading right now

Bushings? for the control arms? ive been planning on it until like i said the MKII popped up & as for vacuum lines go to the local auto store, just tell em what type of line you need & how long. Canister is Plugged? you have a pic? How much was the Valve cover BTW? if the BVSV is not tightened enough or if theres a hole in the bottom portion.... thats the only way i can see it spitting coolant.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
yeah the whole set for front and rear

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-83126g.php
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-83127g.php

ah ... ok I was hoping that was the case but neglected to give the local shop a call before closing time :(... wait they might still be open *runs off to call

call made, success :D .. let's see the BVSV I got off ebay for 9.98 but it's used... is that okay?... a new one from driftmotion is like 52 dollars... and it looks like the bottom hole used to be sealed up with some kind of hard stuff... and then after the coolant spray the hard stuff was blown open... which was how i noticed it while looking for the cause to specks of green coolant everywhere

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

OK pics now:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

it's funny cuz i got two driver/left side ones... the right side one fit fine... but the left side wouldn't lmao

A little preview... not too bad
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

All done... awaiting new BVSV, vacuum lines and Apexi power Intake

sm_photo_missing.jpg

not too bad... right?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
lithium14;1669319 said:

ah ... ok I was hoping that was the case but neglected to give the local shop a call before closing time :(... wait they might still be open *runs off to call

call made, success :D .. let's see the BVSV I got off ebay for 9.98 but it's used... is that okay?... a new one from driftmotion is like 52 dollars... and it looks like the bottom hole used to be sealed up with some kind of hard stuff... and then after the coolant spray the hard stuff was blown open... which was how i noticed it while looking for the cause to specks of green coolant everywhere

Nice.. tell me how they work out, i really want to buy them. & yes lol Oreilly has anything as long as you give them in detail.
I got a working BVSV for the same price.. a new one will be expensive & if you break it OUCH.. haha. & the Bvsv shouldn't have a hole underneath. it should look like solid copper? idk how to describe it.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

lithium14;1669319 said:

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

OK pics now:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

it's funny cuz i got two driver/left side ones... the right side one fit fine... but the left side wouldn't lmao

A little preview... not too bad
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

All done... awaiting new BVSV, vacuum lines and Apexi power Intake

sm_photo_missing.jpg

not too bad... right?

Your engine bay is clean as fkk!!! & i did just that a week or 2 ago.. put in new hood lifts & trunk lifts. best buy ive done & no regrets & thats the exact same spray i been thinking to get!!! How many coating did you use?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
LoL thanks man!! it was worth the effort :D as for the vht... lessee right now I'm at two coats... i sprayed one, let it dry for a couple hours, then lightly sanded it with 3000 grit sandpaper then sprayed another layer... I'm debating whether to do a third or not... either way after I'm done with the vht, let it dry for 2 days then clearcoat :D I started with the center brake light so any early mistakes would be made on that... and boy did I start off early... *blush tbh idk what came over me when I decided to wipe it down with acetone... stupidest mistake ever... but after lots of sanding... it looks pretty good. Also... all the little flecks of dust floating around sucks... which is why i had to sand between coats... to get those off and even out the (what do they call it...) fishscaling? Oh yeah, and then I tried to do my fogs... except for some reason, my clearcoat and vht behave very differently on glass than on plastic... and I can't get an even coat... and then when I try to sand it... they just come off, so... I decided to leave the fogs as is... with just a layer of clearcoat to fill out the bazillion little dents from road debris

About those bushings... it might be awhile before I get them since I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to have them put in professionally... unless I can find someone to let me use their shop lmao

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

wow I need to limit my use of (...), It's hard even for me to read my last post. LoL!!

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
xzeror;1669358 said:
your engine bay looks sooooo clean :eek:

thanks man!! as Gota7mgte said... I'm just doing what I can right now... once my lights are done I'll be putting the interior to the hatch back... and then a final detail and wash... then off to texas :D oh and after i get my intake LoL.. and BVSV

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
lithium14;1669340 said:
LoL thanks man!! it was worth the effort :D as for the vht... lessee right now I'm at two coats... i sprayed one, let it dry for a couple hours, then lightly sanded it with 3000 grit sandpaper then sprayed another layer... I'm debating whether to do a third or not... either way after I'm done with the vht, let it dry for 2 days then clearcoat :D I started with the center brake light so any early mistakes would be made on that... and boy did I start off early... *blush tbh idk what came over me when I decided to wipe it down with acetone... stupidest mistake ever... but after lots of sanding... it looks pretty good. Also... all the little flecks of dust floating around sucks... which is why i had to sand between coats... to get those off and even out the (what do they call it...) fishscaling? Oh yeah, and then I tried to do my fogs... except for some reason, my clearcoat and vht behave very differently on glass than on plastic... and I can't get an even coat... and then when I try to sand it... they just come off, so... I decided to leave the fogs as is... with just a layer of clearcoat to fill out the bazillion little dents from road debris

About those bushings... it might be awhile before I get them since I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to have them put in professionally... unless I can find someone to let me use their shop lmao

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

wow I need to limit my use of (...), It's hard even for me to read my last post. LoL!!

I would clear coat those lenses while your at it. A friend of mine used the same stuff and after a while of sitting in the sun it will be begin to fade and even chip but if you clear coat it turns out perfect.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

lithium14;1669298 said:

You also can go to www.energysuspensionparts.com They also sale the sway bar bushings. While your at it might as well purchase inner outer tie rods, front lower ball joints. These you can get for $100 on ebay and they work just fine. Then if you really wanted to go at it you could purchase rack bushings, and subframe bushings from Ronnie. These are all polyurethane bushings to by the way. I'm currently completely restoring my suspension right now. You can check out my build thread to check the progress. There alot of other things you can do as well.