88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I can't help you with that.... but good to see you are still at it. I hope you get it straighten out soon. Im just now getting the old supra on the road.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Hey guys. School got cancelled today so I have some extra time on my hands. I replaced all the spark plugs and gapped the new ones at .030. Checked all my wiring for continuity or voltage. Went to start and still had the same issue. I pulled the plugs and they were all coming out super wet. Plug number 3 was completely clean. I inspected the plug wire for three and initially it showed no continuity even though I had JUST tested it. I came back a day later and tested it again and it was fine. All of my plug wires were showing around 1k ohms in resistance. I also adjusted the Lexus afm screw all the way out to help lean things out a little because I feel like the spark is getting washed out. I also regapped all the plugs to .025. I haven't had a chance to test this, and I'm not even sure if I will since I have almost everything I need to complete my COP setup. It's too damn cold to work in the garage now anyways.

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
I haven't posted in in like 5 years but I've been itching for another supra project so I've been reading through builds.i really like your attention to detail.

Now onto the problem you are having getting her to run right, I had something very similar (flooding out,will not hold idle) when I got done with my rebuild.after countless hours of trouble shooting I figured out that the air filter was simply to close to the rad fan. the fan was pushing in air into the afm, causing the fuel trims to go pig rich.I put a piece of cardboard between the filter and fan just as it was about to die and BOOM, straightened right out!

Try that and let us know how it goes.Remember, you are running rich, and there is a reason for that.The pcm is getting information that it needs to add fuel. The afm is responsible for the vast majority of yout fuel trims (o2's don't doanything is cold start,open loop).

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
LoL. So much for updates. Sorry, I've been really busy. Highlights so far: CCWs are almost finalized, bought an R154 and a set of Recaros. Have a really bad oil burning issue, gonna replace the valve stem seals to hopefully get rid of that soon. For other pics/updates, follow me on instagram: andrew_sli

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Alrighty folks. I realized that my last picture update was almost two years ago. I am currently uploading said almost two years worth of photos to Photobucket right now and will be posting massive updates to catch everyone up to where my Supra is now. Synopsis now: CCWs have been finalized, black interior conversion has begun, R154 acquired, Plastidip plans in the works (you dip haters can fuck off, there isn't a single reasonable/logical argument against Plastidip that is worth a damn. With the new topcoat that was just released, it literally is peelable paint. Anything that can be done with paint, can be done with Plastidip at a fraction of the cost. As such, it is a PERFECT solution for my perfectionist self while I slowly grow the funds needed for a $5-6k paint job) Now, where was I? Spare rear subframe acquired for strengthening and upgrading, and a plethora of other small stuff going on.

Brace yourself, we are traveling back in time two years now:

Not sure if anyone has ever had a heart attack because the oil pressure gauge suddenly flatlined, but here is what happened to mine:

The little pin popped out of place!

Installing the Aeromotive AFPR:

For the record, this bracket set up was a bad idea, it sat the AFPR too high and it popped a hole in my fire blanket. I have since corrected said issue as you will see in the latest pictures taken, but the hole in my fire blanket is still there and it makes me sad.

Installation of the high impedance FIC injectors that gave me all kinds of headaches. If anyone wants them, feel free to buy them from me. I paid almost $500 for them, looking for half that if anyone is interested.

Yes, crimps. Because my solder skills are not up to par, and it the one thing I DID solder came back to bite me in the ass and cost me a $260 towing fee this past Wednesday.

Last edited:

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Attempt to make the ignitor ground better:

Painted the Lexus AFM

Had to boil the hose in water to stretch it over the larger AFM

First time me and my ex's Supras were together. Oh yeah, that happened too. We broke up because ... well let's not go there.

Still haven't permanently installed this lip as I'm on the fence about whether I like it or not

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Engine harness rebuild begins:

Blood is shed immediately

Test fitting it again to see where I can modify the split locations etc

Picked up one of these too. For the record, I am not using this exact one, I found one in pristine condition and used the center cover from the torn up one. I don't have any pics of the new one, that'll change tomorrow.

More Bling:

Not using these either, CCW eventually came out with milled logo caps that are color matched.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin

Attempt at polishing the lips even more than CCW had. Their stock finish still had small sanding lines, my attempt to get rid of those did not work well as I don't have any good buffing tools. More on the wheels later.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin

Stock lip back on

Never liked the massive muffle section being all shiny, especially from behind at night, so I decided to plastidip it black. No ragrets.

Still retaining the FUN DDP though.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
And here, ladies and gents, we jump several months where I took no pictures. CCWs eventually got tires mounted and installed. I also moved as the HOA at the old place hated my guts (mostly the oil leaking from my SC400) and kicked us out via bitching to the landlord.

I forgot to take installed pics of the dash, I'll do so tomorrow, but keep in mind, I accidentally put my phone mount too low and it managed to scrape through the dye, which is actually really hard. Colorbond stuff is no joke, apply it correctly and you will ruin a part before scraping their dye off or scratching it.

Combo box got water in it somehow and my headlights went out. Easy fix, but it was terrifying to drive at night in rain with no headlights.

The winter wreaked havoc on the polished aluminum of the CCW lips. Solution: Plastidip them black.

You even still see the lip decals!

Let's take a break and look my roommates awesome saltwater tank:

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Another few months pass with no significant progress or pictures.

Finally got tired of the blacked out CCWs and resolved to return to the raw aluminum, albeit in brushed form this time for easier upkeep:

Neat happenings. Brushed the lips with the decals on. Removed the decals and voila! decals with no... decals!

Sorry no full body pictures yet. The car has been very dirty from all the rain here in Texas, I plan on detailing her at some point this weekend. If I don't get caught up in the art of pussy chasing.