88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I think there are two different colors for the supermonitor. I had two (and no idea where they are now), and one was that bluish pre-89 color, while the other was a bit more 89+ green.

What color did you decide to go with?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
My supermonitor is a pre89 and leans more towards blue than green as well. I was told the dark plastic screen that protects the actual display is what changes the color. If you replace that with whatever colored film (overhead projector sheets), it should change the color. Since mine was already bluish, I am simply going to tape blue film over the plastic. If you wanted to do red, say, then you might have to actually get rid of the plastic.

Jarvis

May 14, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
Man, looking great! You've done an excellent job with her so far. Keep up the good work! If you don't mind me asking, where did you find those marker lights that you installed? They look pretty dang good...

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
yeah, surprisingly good for ebay stuff. I did put some silicone around the gap of the turn signals just in case. (I did that with my stockers too). they come with the colored bulbs you need too. fairly simple to install, do reuse the old stock gaskets though, cuz the new ones only come with some cheap stuff that obviously won't hold up to the elements very well.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Was just told by NextMOD that they can source the work wheel I wanted in the color I wanted as well. May pass on the CCWs and go back to the original plan. Sub $2K wheels ftw. Work Emotion XD-9 18x10 +38 front/rear (needs aggressive rolling/pulling) or 18x10 +38 rear and 18x9 +30/+20 front. Dunno yet. Wrapped in Yoko S.Drives

Thoughts?

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
lithium14;1912135 said:
Yeah, I think when the time comes, I will go with the K57s. A good balance of modern and classic. Will go perfectly with my Supra.

new pics:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

HKS Hypermax II coilovers

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Mishimoto Silicone Heater Hoses

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Turbo Timer by Ark Designs. Going on Sale. LMK if you want it. BNIB $80 shipped

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Still debating on using these. If I do, it will have to wait until I go manual.... I just don't like how they are much glossier than the stock gauge faces

sm_photo_missing.jpg

New floor mats

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Took apart my dash to change the color of my supermonitor

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Will be sending this out to get updated

sm_photo_missing.jpg

HPS silicone radiator hoses.

Those mats are sexyyy. where did u get?? And your gonna love those hipermax's i have em on mine and they are amazing. Whered u get them from as well?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Finally put the engine in today!!! It was a little tough as none of my freinds including me had ever swapped IN a 7M before and we made some noob mistakes. In all I think it went smoothly, pics will be posted later. I'm nervous about the transmission and t/c and just the whole deal. It's my first engine rebuild, so I'm nervous about everything. I followed the TSRM as best I could, got all the torque numbers I could, utilized any advice I could, so I should be good. *fingers crossed. Tomorrow I'm going to try and get the Supra flat bedded up to my new house and then I can finalize the rebuild.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Congrats Lithium!
I've been waiting for updates on your car. And of course, a few pics of the install wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings, i'm sure.
:)

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin

Making sure my steering wheel stays aligned

Had to pull the trans off again because the torque converter didn't align properly with the input shaft.

Our makeshift trans lift

Where my trans filter will go.

Feed line from the filter to the cooler underneath the body harness. Utilizing holes that are already there

Shiny silicone hoses and fresh engine harness

All plugged in.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
lithium14;1944830 said:
So... I forgot how the cables go off the alternator to battery and to starter... :(

On this note, I think the location and orientation of the alternator connector was an afterthought by the design engineers. That connector is a huge pain and I always feel like I'm breaking the factory cables to get it on there. Hey, maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years. :dunno:

I was finally able to change my oil. I've been mid-move for a while now and just got enough space cleared in the garage to get under her. I also noticed my power steering pivot bolt was coming out. :/ I can hardly believe I would have left it un-tightened since I installed it years ago and just now noticed, but it's also hard to believe it would just back out like that.

Additionally, I still have that damn internal CPS oil leak that's keeping my lower engine bay and sub-frame nice and shiny... :( I really need to get that CPS seal kit installed.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thanks guys! I just ordered my wheels from CCW. Can't wait. Now for pics

Dirty and rusted injectors

All cleaned up!!

Cables bolted up. I hope this is all done right lol.

A ground that I have no idea where it goes.

Ground to engine block

Injectors installed and plugged in

Plugs, wires, and coilpack installed as well.