87 Supra Preservation/Modernization Build (Lots of pics!!!)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
akito;2052276 said:
Believe me I've been looking at everything these last few days. My dad's truck has the stock brakes, still big enough tho. He did pick up an 02 TRD double cab and the truck needs new tires so that's why I'm looking for wheel/tires combo since it's cheaper and i'm going to take the 02 wheels and put it on the 98 taco when I buy it from him. Any recommendations on what other stockies from other cars would fit? I mainly been looking at tacomas, tundras, FJ, 4runners, landcruisers, sequoia, pretty much anything that 6x5.5 and will clear the OEM brakes. Idk of anything else outside of the toyota family line that would fit, if you can shine some light that'll be awesome. Thanks!

I think some GM wheels are the same bolt pattern, but they're kinda ugly most of them. I think you named everything that will fit on that truck. If you live near a fairly large city you should be able to find something decent on craigslist. I'm fortunate to have Nashville, Birmingham, Atlanta, and Knoxville all within reasonable distance if the deal is good enough.

TurboTruck;2052308 said:
We are the same, but opposite. I bought the wheels just for the stock Bridgestone tires, put them on my mothers 4th gen. Wheels sat around until I got tires... lol. We are also both in the BFG mud club :) Though we are opposites again (KM1 vs KM2), I assume yours came from a Jeep if they're 255-75-17. What forum is this again?

Oh and I did order a set of those sway bars. I thank you kindly!!!

Haha, the even stranger thing is that I'm pretty sure our mothers drive the same cars. I've seen a silver sport edition 4th gen in the background of some of your photos. Is that you mom's? My mom drives the exact same car, 4WD V8, she's had it since it was new.

Yeah mine came off a Jeep, so far I'm loving my BFG Muds. It's a Toyota forum and this is Toyota talk so it's all good!

Glad the coupon code still worked for you. Now the only thing I need for my suspension is a new set of shocks to go with the springs and sway bars I've got waiting on me.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Nothing going on with the Supra here much. I got my sway bars delivered awhile ago, I'll probably install them when I do the rest of the suspension. All I need now are shocks. The only thing I've done lately to the 4Runner is install my sliders! It's been too hot here to work on cars so I'm gearing up for the fall/winter which seems to be the most ideal time here.

I'm about to order a bunch of sound deadner materials for the 4Runner and Supra together at the same time and hopefully do that this fall, maybe that will help with the slight drone from the exhaust. I also ordered all the parts to do the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idlers, radiator, and some other maintenance stuff on the 4Runner. I'm gonna do that myself and save the $1500 extra everywhere wanted for labor. That will be my first big project like that, and the 5vz in the 4Runner is really easy to work on, so if that goes well I will probably order the stuff to do the timing belt and valve stem seals on the Supra as well and try and attempt that myself to get rid of the oil burning every time I start it.

Maybe I will look into the hot start issue again then if I have time between working, classes and messing around with other stuff on my Toyotas haha

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
emiliorescigno;2067751 said:
So what's the latest? I always liked watching your progress. :)

Hey Emilio, I haven't been on the forum in a while. Just moved actually. Well not really any progress with the Supra. I've been too busy with other stuff and the 4Runner to do much with the Supra. I drove it around some, no issues or anything, other than the leaking valve stem seals, something I still need to get too. Someday I'll get to the suspension, but right now I don't drive the car much with school, new job, and everything else going on. I actually moved to South Carolina for a couple months to do an engineering co-op position and left her at home, safe in my parents garage. If you want 4Runner progress I can provide that though haha. She's pretty well built now.

In August I drove down to Gulf Shores flying the best flag in the world behind me all the way.

Then in September I picked up my full length roof rack and made my custom wind fairing for it. Did a timing belt, water pump, radiator, all that good stuff at some point too. I also added an amp to the radio and put JL components up front along with sound deadening. Also installed an accessory fuse box and rewired the battery, alternator, and all the grounds for them.

Then in October I went off-roading. Decided she needed more upgrades at this point.

Then I added reverse lights to my rack.

Then I added some real protection for the underside in the form of 3/16" steel skid plates.

Put new inner and outer tie rods on.

Then she got lifted, coilovers up front and long travel in the back.

Fabbed up some extended bump stops and sway bar links for the rear.

All the front suspension goodness. Coilovers, BBK, soft bump stops, new OEM Lower Ball Joint and Tie Rods

Photoshoot down by the river

Really flexy in the rear suspension now with the long travel

Installed 1.25" spacers to get a little more stability with the lift.

Full size matching spare mounted and rear bumper plastidipped.

Gave her a bath, polished and waxed, debadged the rear, put my own "custom" badging on, installed a CB radio.

A little Supra action in the garage in this shot. She's safe don't worry.

Mounted a Hi-Lift in the back.

Took her up into the mountains last weekend.

And today I'm stuck in the house due to an ice storm so I took a couple pics earlier today.

I know that's a lot but it pretty much sums up my last 6 months in terms of vehicles. I've got a front plate/winch bumper on order for the 4Runner, and I'm looking for a locker and TRD supercharger for it possibly. Plus some other stuff like a rear ladder for the roof rack and a rear bumper with a swingout tire carrier. She's at 183k miles and runs like new. I love Toyotas.

Probably not the update most of you want to see on this forum, but hopefully someone likes 4Runners too haha.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
suprarx7nut;2068096 said:
Sweet stuff on the 4runner! Makes me want to put some money into my Land Cruiser.

I think a front bumper would go nicely with it!

Thanks man! Pics of said Land Cruiser? I'm a lover of all Toyota trucks. My 4Runner's got a little Land Cruiser in her too, the rear lift is all OEM Toyota Land Cruiser Parts. The front coils off an FJ80 actually fit perfectly in the rear spring seats and the rear shocks off a Land Cruiser bolt right in too, providing longer travel and a bigger shock body than stock.

Can't wait to get my front bumper in. Hopefully sometime in the next month or so.

TurboTruck;2068101 said:
Man, I wish Gobi wasn't a bunch of assholes. That WMW rack is awesome.

Me too, I really want a ladder for my WMW rack, but the only option is Gobi and I'm having a hard time spending my money with them.

Here's a couple more pics I took today in the snow. This camera takes pretty good night pics, didn't use a tripod for any of them. I'm impressed. The last ones really show off the shape of the rack too. I kinda have a problem with taking pictures of my truck...

Came outside this morning to find this. My truck was the only one in the parking lot that had this. It doesn't bother me because they didn't hurt anything, but I still prefer a look but don't touch policy if I'm not around and I don't know you.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
TurboTruck;2068312 said:
Shes a real looker. You got yourself a pair of sexy rides.

Thanks, she'll be ever more of a looker with this AOR bumper I'm supposed to be getting in sometime. You yourself have a quadruplet of sexy rides haha

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
Love the progress! I have that exact badge! I've been holding off modding mine to finish the supra. So hard not to order the Toytec Boss kit

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Justin727;2074367 said:
Great progress. I must say I always love seeing members from T4R here and there!

Yeah there's quite a few, 3rd gen is best gen for both Supra and 4Runner.

akito;2074392 said:
That 4runner is effing awesome dude! Such a clean build!

Thanks man, she's come a real long way!

FernandoDLT;2074587 said:
Love the progress! I have that exact badge! I've been holding off modding mine to finish the supra. So hard not to order the Toytec Boss kit

Thanks, the Boss coilovers up front on the 4Runner are very nice. I'm super happy with mine.

Well no updates on the Supra really. I've driven it very sparingly here lately. I did roll over 92k miles back in April, but nothing other than that. I've just been too busy to drive it much lately and I'm back in South Carolina now for the fall. One day I'll have the time to take it out on the weekends or something. Also hard to choose between rides.

The 4Runner is pretty much built now, only bigger plans I have left for it now is a rear locker swap, and 33's. Since I posted anything here I've installed my AOR front bumper, winch with remote solenoid mount, rear bumper with swing out tire carrier, line-x'd my grille, and some other small things here and there. Here's a few pics from the last few months for anyone who cares.

Turned it into a camper.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I'm still around. Still have the Supra for anyone who cares or follows this thread. I haven't been active here at all the last few years. I've been really busy with life, and the 4Runner. I hadn't driven the Supra in about a year. My dad had taken it out a few times around the block, but it wasn't getting driven as much as it should. I had a random day off a couple weeks ago, so I decided to pull her out. She smoked like crazy from the leaky valve stem seals, but after letting her idle for a while and a quick run around the block it was fine. The valve cover gaskets have a small leak too that burned off after sitting for so long. I washed at least a years worth of dirt and dust off of her, and forgot how good she looks. I changed the oil for the first time in 3 years (only 3k miles), replaced my hood struts for the second time (lifetime warranty), and put her on the trickle charger. I drove her around that day, just running errands. Then I replaced the alternator in the 4Runner with a Denso unit to replace the crap parts store brand that was in there. I drove the Supra again that day to exchange alternators. Easter Sunday we had great weather so my girlfriend and I went out for a little cruise in the Supra after she told me "we never take the Supra anywhere." She isn't wrong...

Here's a few pics from the other day when I had her out. She's so planted and quick compared to the 4Runner, I forgot how fun the car is to drive, even if it is only a N/A.

IMG_20170411_140604907_HDR by Unner Unner, on Flickr
IMG_20170411_140303731_HDR by Unner Unner, on Flickr
IMG_20170411_140248169_HDR by Unner Unner, on Flickr
IMG_20170411_140213772_HDR by Unner Unner, on Flickr

Just getting the car out over the last couple weeks has reminded me how much I like the car. I won't be around much this summer to do any work to it, or drive it much, but come this fall I have a few plans.

1) I'm finally gonna paint the bumpers and headlight cover where there is a little battery acid damage. My driver side mirror got broken/chipped in the garage when my dad walked by one day and bumped it so the Euro mirrors I have will most likely be getting painted at the same time and put on. This is one of the things that has always bothered me about the car because I'm so anal and picky about my cars. Having nice paint on everything will be great.

2) Brakes. The brakes on the Supra have always had a shimmy coming off the interstate. Warped rotors most likely. It's not a death wobble or anything like that like my 4Runner was, but it bothers me. I plan to do good rotors and pads all the way around.

3) Vavle Stem Seals/Head Gasket. This I'm not sure how I'm going to approach. I know the valve stem seals are bad. The head gasket isn't blown, but I don't know if it has ever been done. It hasn't in my ownership. I'm considering just pulling the head, sending it off to be rebuilt with new seals and machined (not sure if this is necessary without a BHG?), and then reassebling with new head gasket, valve stem seals, valve cover gaskets and any other gasket along the way being replaced.

4) Hot start issue. If I do the plan above I will most likely send the injectors off to be cleaned/tested, and probably replace the Fuel Pressure regulator. I think those are the only two things that I haven't replaced in the fuel system that could be causing my hot start issues I've been dealing with for years. This is another issue that really bothers me. Being away from the forum and Supras for so long I've forgotten a lot of what I learned, but I think there was another valve or something that is supposed to close in addition to the fuel pressure regulator along the fuel rail?

5) Suspension/Tires. I still have my ST sway bars sitting in the box. I haven't even looked at them... I contemplated selling them and just leaving the Supra stock, because I'm not sure if I want to put them on or not. Oh well, they aren't hurting anything in their box. I also might look into replacing the shocks, if there is some sort of a TEMS compatible shock even available anymore. I remember a couple years ago they were discontinued, then brought back, but nobody could get them or something. I don't really remember. If they're available I might grab some and have them at least if I don't change them out. I also have a set of low miles springs out of a 92 Supra sitting next to the sway bars. If I swap shocks I might put those coils on to lower the car only about .5", that's all I want, if I even do it. Compared to the 4Runner, the Supra is lowered... I'm also considering putting new tires on it sometime soonish. The tires on it have decent tread, 2 have great tread, 2 are OK. I want to go with a true summer/performance tire instead of an all season. This car never sees rain, let alone snow...

6) Power Antenna. It needs a new cable, which I have. I just need to replace. Sometimes it goes all the way up, sometimes it doesn't...

I think that's it. Seems like a lot, but it's just small things that bother me really because I'm a perfectionist. In the meantime I've been really enjoying the 4Runner, and using it to take me places only a 4x4 can. I got to spend 10 days this March travelling across the US, camping every night but the last due to poor weather. A buddy went with me the entire trip, and I had another join us for a few days when he flew in. We saw some amazing things, and had a great time. We spent most of the 10 days exploring the desert around Moab, Utah. Here's a few pics from the trip. And for anyone who is interested here is a link to my trip report in my build thread for the 4Runner. There's 300+ pics in it, but I think it's a pretty good read if you've got time to kill and like 4Runners/beautiful scenery. I can't wait to get back out there.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/208503-unners-build-2001-toyota-4runner-4x4-33.html

DSC05534a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC07091a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC05702b by Unner Unner, on Flickr
IMG_4754 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_4832 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_4834 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
DSC05756a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC05883a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC05923a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06106a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06198a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06261a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06268a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06325a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06372a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06495a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06584a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06652a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06728a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06735a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06765a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06850a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06849a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC06945a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC07027a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC07068a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC07164a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC07191a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC07212a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC07248a by Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC07260a by Unner Unner, on Flickr

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Nice photos!

Reminds me of a trip I took out there.

Looks like an awesome trail to go on with that rig.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Piratetip;2091974 said:
Nice photos!

Reminds me of a trip I took out there.

Looks like an awesome trail to go on with that rig.

Thanks man, already trying to plan another trip back out that way!

suprarx7nut;2091982 said:
Beautiful. Love that scenery and love that 4Runner.

Thanks! Me too!

May 17, 2016
Melbourne, FL
I have to say I'm very jealous. As much as I love the weather in Florida; the scenery leaves a lot to be desired. To comment on your Supra plans...You may know this already, but having rebuilt my head on my N/A Supra in February, just a couple of quick reminders if you decide to rebuild yours. Don't buy an aftermarket top end gasket set; yes you'll pay twice as much through Toyota, but you'll save a lot of aggravation. I have to replace my EGR cooler gasket after having it on for only a month or so. Also, make sure to triple check the valve clearances and swap out shims accordingly. Finally if you see ANY hoses that aren't in tip top shape, replace them. I had that little rubber cap on the main coolant line near the rear of the block burst on me just a week after the head rebuild. Didn't damage anything, but wasted a whole bottle of coolant and was quite inconvenient. It doesn't sound like yours is a daily driver so at least you won't be bothered by having to wait for parts. Whatever you decide, good luck with your project. Also, if you figure out your hot start problem, let me know what worked as I have the same issue and have yet to tackle it.