87 Supra Preservation/Modernization Build (Lots of pics!!!)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Yeah, I've thought about that route too. If I would go with coilovers I would definitely get a quality brand because I've heard bad things about some of the lower end cheaper ones, which is to be expected.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
TrqMnstr;2036183 said:
Great thread Silv. That interior looks amazing as does the rest of the car. Great work. As for suspenion, I'm on the same boat as you. I'm thinking Tanabe springs and Eibachs if they're still available.

Thanks! I appreciate all the positive feedback guys. Hopefully when the weather decides to start playing nicer here I will be able to get the Supra out more often and take some pictures and post them up occasionally. We don't get a bad winter down here, but it seems to be our rainy season and it is just kinda miserable and nasty outside...

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Today I pulled her out of the garage and washed her. It wasn't terribly dirty, just kinda dusty from sitting so much lately. I drove around all day in the Supra and she ran fine. I pushed it through a few twisties in the area too. The car is so much fun to drive, and really handles well, considering my other car is a top heavy 4x4 SUV haha. Here's a few pictures from today. They aren't the best quality, but they aren't too bad for being cell phone pictures.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
rodel;2037850 said:
Beautiful

Thanks! I really like the way the car looks under a light at night. The Amethyst Metallic paint gives a beautiful purple glow and it really accentuates the body lines, but that can't be picked up with my Galaxy S4 camera... I've never seen a silver quite like the silver on the early Supras. I thought those pics with my projectors came out pretty cool too. I need to find a place without all the lighting on the other side and I think they would come out even better. I also need to get a better camera that I actually like and take pictures with that instead of my phone so they are a little higher quality.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
akito;2038007 said:
Car looks great dude!!

Thanks man! How's yours coming along? I think I remember reading that you had picked up another one after the blue one got hit, but hadn't seen much else about it.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Well since my last update we had multiple snow/ice storms here so I hadn't driven the Supra in awhile. Even after the snow passed I waited for a few rain storms to come through and wash all the sand/salt/cinder stuff they throw down on the roads here when it snows. I don't want to get any salt on the Supra that will start any sort of rust. It looks like it is finally starting to warm up here so I got the Supra out the other day, wiped her down, and drove her around for a few days. I stopped and took a few pictures with my Mom's new camera to see if I want to get the same kind since I'm kinda in the market for a camera.

I also just bought a set of LHD Euro folding mirrors from Toyota88, the same guy I bought my Euro corners from. The only issue is they are currently red, so I'm gonna have to paint them to match my car, but they should look better than my pre89 mirrors. I think these look more modern. Here's the mirrors right now. I haven't got them yet, and it might be a while before I do because of overseas shipping. For painting I think I'm gonna order a can of the 920 paint code paint from a place like www.paintscratch.com and get they're clear coat and primer as well. Since it isn't a large flat area like a hood I think I should be able to get pretty good results if I take my time and prep everything well, using these methods.

331f8sp.jpg

10z3a1f.jpg

161ltfr.jpg

I'm also thinking about looking for a set of the 91-92 5 star wheels, and maybe a rear sunshade or lip/spoiler for the hatch. I'm not sure yet though, I kinda like the idea of the 91-92 wheels because they are OEM. I wouldn't mind a set of TT wheels either, but they are harder to find because I don't want the polished ones, and I would also have to get new tires all around for them also since they're 17's. If the right deal came along though, I would pick up a set of them. I also like the idea of the rear sunshade because I'm pretty sure they were available as a dealer type of option add on when these cars were new. Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Hybrid;2043614 said:
Good stuff mate, restorations at the best

With the Euro manual fold mirrors, that hollow bit can I recommend you re-enfoce in some way on the inside. The problem is with age the tend to fall apart due to poor design and UV :(.

I think the only other thing it needs is some lower springs.

Are you talking about the part that will stick out just a little bit when the mirrors are folded? Any suggestions on how to reinforce it?

Most all of the lowering springs would lower the car too much for my likes. I would only want .5-1" at the most.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Hybrid;2043659 said:
Either fibreglass or as mentioned expanding foam. The latter would likely be easier. I used body filler on my last but thats is because mine were already cracking so had to rebuild the shape.

Hybrid;2043663 said:
This is a bad one

2r47wih.jpg

That's not good. Mine are supposed to be in good shape so I may just do some sort of expanding foam. Fortunately they are coming form the Netherlands so they get less sun exposure there than they would in Australia. The Supra also stays garaged when I'm not driving it so that should help to keep them in good shape. Do you know if it is possible to take them apart so that the base and actual mirror are separate? If so that would make painting them and getting good coverage much easier. Thanks for the tip on the mirrors as well.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I took the Supra out to a car show last night, and walked back to find a photographer taking pictures of it. He stopped and talked to me for a few minutes and commented on how clean the car is and how there aren't many in as good of shape left anymore. He said if some of the pictures came out good he would be posting them to his facebook/flickr account. I'm hoping some of them did, I'd like to see how they came out. It's always nice to have someone compliment you on your car.

Hybrid;2043689 said:
Yep very easy to separate the base from the mirror :)

Great, I'm looking forward to getting mine painted and on the car. Between waiting for shipping, painting and installing, it will probably be several weeks though... While I was searching for pictures of the euro folding mirrors I found this car. The pictures are old and from 2006, so I doubt he has the car anymore since he said he was planning to sell it, but it is nearly an exact copy of what my car will be. He's got the euro corners, bubble markers, and folding mirrors. Only difference aesthetically are the spoiler on his, the wheels, and the small TRD badge on the front.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/off-topic/66149-my-mkiii-supra-turbo.html

There's more pictures in that link. Anyone know what wheels those are by any chance? I usually don't care for many aftermarket wheels, but those are pretty nice in my opinion.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Here's the picture the photographer from the car show last night I mentioned took of my car. He captioned it "one of the cleanest stock Supras i've seen in awhile 2 owner manual less then 100k miles" Doesn't mean much in the big picture, but it feels good to know people notice outside of the Supra world.

3p141592654;2043730 said:
So what kind of camera are you looking for?

Probably a nicer point and shoot type of camera. I would be looking to spend somewhere around $200 give or take if it gets me into a nicer or better camera. I don't think I would be able to get into the DSLR range for that much. I really only take pictures of cars, mostly my Supra and 4Runner, with an occasional picture out by the river, or the mountainside or so. Any suggestions?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
3p141592654;2043737 said:
For that money you will not get good optics. I was going to suggest my current favorite camera, the Fujifilm XE-2, but that is an order of magnitude off in cost.

That looks like a really nice camera, but I can't justify spending that much on a camera right now. I found an open box Sony A3000 mirrorless camera for $217 at Best Buy that I'm seriously considering.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I'm sure you can get a used beginner DSLR like a Nikon d40 or even a d90 for a little more. My gf sold her D90 for about $500 2 years ago. You can get them with equipment too. Just go for one with low pic counts. But then now a day, there are a lot of really good point and shoot or some sort of hybrid one.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Well I just bought a brand new Sony a3000 on ebay for a good price I think. It's a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, so somewhere between a point and shoot and a true DSLR. It has the same sensor that Sony puts in their DSLR cameras. I think it will be a good start for me to see if I want to get more into photography and get a very nice camera, go back to a point and shoot, or maybe it will be the perfect camera for me. Either way all the reviews said it takes really good pictures, so I can't wait to try it out on the Supra! Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm glad I finally got something instead of just thinking about it and not doing anything...

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Glad you made the purchase dude! Good luck and you know we'll be asking for pictures so don't be slacking now