87 Supra Preservation/Modernization Build (Lots of pics!!!)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
slowerisfaster;2092086 said:
I have to say I'm very jealous. As much as I love the weather in Florida; the scenery leaves a lot to be desired. To comment on your Supra plans...You may know this already, but having rebuilt my head on my N/A Supra in February, just a couple of quick reminders if you decide to rebuild yours. Don't buy an aftermarket top end gasket set; yes you'll pay twice as much through Toyota, but you'll save a lot of aggravation. I have to replace my EGR cooler gasket after having it on for only a month or so. Also, make sure to triple check the valve clearances and swap out shims accordingly. Finally if you see ANY hoses that aren't in tip top shape, replace them. I had that little rubber cap on the main coolant line near the rear of the block burst on me just a week after the head rebuild. Didn't damage anything, but wasted a whole bottle of coolant and was quite inconvenient. It doesn't sound like yours is a daily driver so at least you won't be bothered by having to wait for parts. Whatever you decide, good luck with your project. Also, if you figure out your hot start problem, let me know what worked as I have the same issue and have yet to tackle it.

Yup, if I rebuild the head I'm gonna replace everything with OEM. I haven't decided if I'd rather just send the head off to be rebuilt and adjusted at a shop or do it myself. If I can get the hot start problem solved I'll let you know and make an entire thread on it. Lots of us have that issue.