87 Supra Preservation/Modernization Build (Lots of pics!!!)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
So I got the camera delivered the other day. So far I'm very happy with it, but it's been raining non stop here so I haven't been able to take any real pictures with it. I also had my Euro folding mirrors delivered, and the box had been destroyed by the shippers, cracking the mounting base of the one mirror. I'm disappointed, but the seller is currently searching for another base in good shape to replace my now broken one...

I also bought a set of very low mileage 91 Supra springs from VegaSupra. I'm going to run these for springs because they sit about .5" lower than the pre89 springs and that's all the drop I really want right now. I'm still deciding on shocks though, and haven't bought any yet. They had 77k on them when he pulled them and I'm somewhere around 91k right now so they have less miles than my car which is what I wanted.

I've been looking around for sets of TT wheels too, but haven't had much luck with that either. Either too beat up, seller won't respond at all, or too far away and no shipping.

Hopefully my next update will be some pictures of the Supra with the new camera.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Here's some pics with the new camera. So far I like it a lot. It takes great pictures, and is easy to use for a beginner like me. I haven't done much with the Supra lately. Been driving it more now that the weather has gotten nicer. I took it out to a car show on Wednesday and had a lot of compliments and questions about the car. That's always nice.

And two of the 4Runner that has been getting a lot of my attention lately.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
FernandoDLT;2047910 said:
Looking good! We still need to hit the trails one day. I'd really like to visit Ozark this year

Thanks, yeah man. I'd love to run some real trails instead of the muddy gravel roads we have around here that are kinda lame. My truck is still all stock as far as off road modifications, but I'm working on taking care of that as we speak. I've got a set of Shrockworks sliders on order, I've pretty much picked out what lift I want, got a big brake kit sitting waiting to be installed, more lights waiting for install, and once I wear these stock size tires out I plan to go up at least one size if not a little more. I really want a Whitson roof rack and some sort of a hybrid front bumper also. Even stock it's amazing what they'll do though. I've never been stuck anywhere in the 4Runner. Been close, but nothing a little 4Lo couldn't make easy work of.

Did you make it out to the Lonestar Jamboree Toyota meet thing out in Texas? I really wanted to go, but the 10 hour drive and not being able to leave until Thursday evening made it not really worth it.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Not too much going on with the Supra. I had another bad set of Ballasts so I just replaced them and the lights are working alright for right now. A few days ago I placed an order for a set of ST sway bars. I only paid $242 shipped for the front and rear brand new!

The 4Runner got some new wheels and tires recently too. By the time I sold my stock wheels and tires, and the tires that came on these wheels, and the wheels that came on the tires I used I broke even for new 17" wheels, new BFG Mud Tires two sizes bigger than stock. I got crazy good deals haha. Here's how the 4Runner sits right now.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
TurboTruck;2052017 said:
Those wheels are damned sexy! Haha

By the way, if you can send me a link to the ST bars for 242 shipped, I'd love to buy a set!

Yeah they are! You beat me by about a week to getting your's put on. I was waiting on the guy I was buying them from to get back into town. It was a long wait, especially after I had my new tires sitting in the garage waiting to be mounted haha. Definitely worth it for the price I paid though.

I just sent you a PM about the ST sway bars.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
suprarx7nut;2052090 said:
Damn, the wheels and grille on the 4Runner make that look real modern. Well done. Awesome trucks.

Thanks man, I'm super happy with the way they both came out. I think it really sets mine apart. This is the earliest picture I could find of the 4Runner. She's come a long way since then.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Holy crap man, that's impressive. Those wheels were really dated. The new ones go really really good with the blocky grill and really update it. Is that grill an order able part, or custom?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
suprarx7nut;2052099 said:
Holy crap man, that's impressive. Those wheels were really dated. The new ones go really really good with the blocky grill and really update it. Is that grill an order able part, or custom?

Yeah I kinda amazed myself looking at the differences in the two pictures haha. I had forgotten what all I had done to it. I didn't realize how dated looking those wheels are until you said it, they do look very early 2000's. I love these new wheels, they're the wheels off the new Trail Edition 4Runners. The grille is all custom made for the most part. There's a small custom fab shop in San Francisco that sells those letters, the mesh I bought from an online retailer that specializes in mesh for car grilles, and the outer frame of the grille is out of a 96-98 4Runner. You just have to cut it up and do a little body work to get it to look good. In the end it came out great.

I'm pretty sure I was the first one to run a grille like this on this generation of 4Runner, now that I've done it a few people have done the same. It's not really hard to do the grille, just time consuming. It was my first body work kind of project and I'm happy with how it came out. I'm still debating adding the three orange running lights above the letters in the grille like the Ford Raptors have.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Silver MK3;2052101 said:
Yeah I kinda amazed myself looking at the differences in the two pictures haha. I had forgotten what all I had done to it. I didn't realize how dated looking those wheels are until you said it, they do look very early 2000's. I love these new wheels, they're the wheels off the new Trail Edition 4Runners. The grille is all custom made for the most part. There's a small custom fab shop in San Francisco that sells those letters, the mesh I bought from an online retailer that specializes in mesh for car grilles, and the outer frame of the grille is out of a 96-98 4Runner. You just have to cut it up and do a little body work to get it to look good. In the end it came out great.

I'm pretty sure I was the first one to run a grille like this on this generation of 4Runner, now that I've done it a few people have done the same. It's not really hard to do the grille, just time consuming. It was my first body work kind of project and I'm happy with how it came out. I'm still debating adding the three orange running lights above the letters in the grille like the Ford Raptors have.

Those running lights would probably look awesome, but you'd have to be really careful to get it exactly right. That's one of those body mods that will probably look 100% awesome or obviously cheap and homemade and not really anywhere in between.

Good luck either way. Cool stuff.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
suprarx7nut;2052104 said:
Those running lights would probably look awesome, but you'd have to be really careful to get it exactly right. That's one of those body mods that will probably look 100% awesome or obviously cheap and homemade and not really anywhere in between.

Good luck either way. Cool stuff.

Yeah I know what you mean. I don't want it to come out looking cheesy or ricey. I've seen a few Tacoma guys do it and it can look pretty slick if it's done right. Here it is on a black Tacoma. I think his came out very well.
AXpvkbih.jpg

Attachments

• AXpvkbih.jpg
    AXpvkbih.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 10

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Silver MK3;2052007 said:
Not too much going on with the Supra. I had another bad set of Ballasts so I just replaced them and the lights are working alright for right now. A few days ago I placed an order for a set of ST sway bars. I only paid $242 shipped for the front and rear brand new!

The 4Runner got some new wheels and tires recently too. By the time I sold my stock wheels and tires, and the tires that came on these wheels, and the wheels that came on the tires I used I broke even for new 17" wheels, new BFG Mud Tires two sizes bigger than stock. I got crazy good deals haha. Here's how the 4Runner sits right now.

Well, what do you know, I had just messaged someone about these and spent the last hour searching to see if these would fit/clear the big brakes on my dad's 98 tacoma. Then I came on here to mess around and saw your post, thanks for the confirmation :D and omfg they look fucking AMAZING! dope truck!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
akito;2052150 said:
Well, what do you know, I had just messaged someone about these and spent the last hour searching to see if these would fit/clear the big brakes on my dad's 98 tacoma. Then I came on here to mess around and saw your post, thanks for the confirmation :D and omfg they look fucking AMAZING! dope truck!

You know, I've gotta say, some of the new~ish Toyota Truck wheels are just plain bad ass. For factory wheels they have done very well in the last 5 years or so. They have a few varieties of really nice bead-lock TRD wheels and other regular wheels like his above. Normally truck wheels are real boring and dull. Way to go Toyota Trucks. Kickin' ass.

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
You're definitely correct suprax7nut! Those 4runner trail edition wheels immediately reminded me of te37s and was like no way that was stock, NO WAY! Apparently they are! Found a set for $200 and I want to get on them asap!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
akito;2052150 said:

I assume he has the Tundra Brake upgrade? If so that's what I've got on mine too and they clear with no issues. Thanks for the compliments. That's pretty much the same reaction I get from anyone who is into cars/trucks when they see the wheels. I think I did good haha

suprarx7nut;2052191 said:
You know, I've gotta say, some of the new~ish Toyota Truck wheels are just plain bad ass. For factory wheels they have done very well in the last 5 years or so. They have a few varieties of really nice bead-lock TRD wheels and other regular wheels like his above. Normally truck wheels are real boring and dull. Way to go Toyota Trucks. Kickin' ass.

I agree. I had a pretty good bit of options when I was choosing what wheel to go with. I really like the TRD options, but they are pricey. I ended up deciding between the wheels I got and the wheels that came on the FJ's a few years ago. I went with these, and almost right after I got mine my dad decided he needed new wheels and tires and he went with the FJ wheels because he didn't want to have the same wheels as me. These are the ones on his truck.
photo-27-jpg.217197

akito;2052198 said:
You're definitely correct suprax7nut! Those 4runner trail edition wheels immediately reminded me of te37s and was like no way that was stock, NO WAY! Apparently they are! Found a set for $200 and I want to get on them asap!

Yeah they are stock and for whatever reason people buy the new 4Runner and rip these off to put some ugly Rockstar or whatever wheels on... $200 is a great deal for these wheels. I'd jump on that in a heart beat. They sell for around $600+ online. I paid $500 for mine, but mine had new tires on it that I sold for $340 so I got a pretty good deal on mine as well.

If he is looking for new tires for it as well I'd recommenced looking at the Jeep wheel and tire takeoffs you can find on craigslist. Jeeps come stock with 255/75/17 which is the tallest tire you can fit on these style of 4Runners without lifting and really cutting stuff up. I would assume it's the same for the 1st gen Tacoma. I paid $450 for 5 Jeep wheels and 5 BFG Mud Tires that came off a Rubicon that had less than 300 miles on it. Just the tires alone would have ran me $1000... I've got the wheels posted on craigslist for $350 right now haha. That guy had no clue what he had, he just wanted them gone.

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Believe me I've been looking at everything these last few days. My dad's truck has the stock brakes, still big enough tho. He did pick up an 02 TRD double cab and the truck needs new tires so that's why I'm looking for wheel/tires combo since it's cheaper and i'm going to take the 02 wheels and put it on the 98 taco when I buy it from him. Any recommendations on what other stockies from other cars would fit? I mainly been looking at tacomas, tundras, FJ, 4runners, landcruisers, sequoia, pretty much anything that 6x5.5 and will clear the OEM brakes. Idk of anything else outside of the toyota family line that would fit, if you can shine some light that'll be awesome. Thanks!

Silver MK3;2052074 said:
Yeah they are! You beat me by about a week to getting your's put on. I was waiting on the guy I was buying them from to get back into town. It was a long wait, especially after I had my new tires sitting in the garage waiting to be mounted haha. Definitely worth it for the price I paid though.

I just sent you a PM about the ST sway bars.

We are the same, but opposite. I bought the wheels just for the stock Bridgestone tires, put them on my mothers 4th gen. Wheels sat around until I got tires... lol. We are also both in the BFG mud club :) Though we are opposites again (KM1 vs KM2), I assume yours came from a Jeep if they're 255-75-17. What forum is this again?

Oh and I did order a set of those sway bars. I thank you kindly!!!