5.0 supra its a comin

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
well the RX7 thing i have had two of them one turbo and one NA with a 650 Holley DP with custom manifold but the limiting factor here is i have a supra and a 5.0 and i also have two children so a back seat is needed Not to mention that my oldest is in love with the supra so thats how its going down

M

Makavelli

mcpcola said:
well the RX7 thing i have had two of them one turbo and one NA with a 650 Holley DP with custom manifold but the limiting factor here is i have a supra and a 5.0 and i also have two children so a back seat is needed Not to mention that my oldest is in love with the supra so thats how its going down

And the MKIII has suprisingly comfortable rear seats, so you're good there.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
:wtf:
Makavelli said:
And the MKIII has suprisingly comfortable rear seats, so you're good there.

Ah.... yeah, if you're like...two years old! Well, maybe 4 or 5! (That was veiled sarcasm, right?!) :stickpoke

abustiffy

Apr 13, 2005
in a house
My advice for a reliable sub 600whp 5.0 would be rebuild with stock bottom end, maybe some good pistons, but the factory are still good to that point as long as it is pre 93. a halo girdle on the bottom valley girdle up top. get a set of decent aluminum heads, at that power level just about anything is fine, the main problem with the iron heads is deck thickness, they tend to rise on FI apps. A set of gt40x can be found for around or under 800 if you play your cards right. As for an intake, anything is better than stock. Cobra, explorer, gt40, whatever. at that point you have a decent platform that is good n/a, even better boosted. If you are going turbo, the stock cam with some 1.6 or 1.7 rockers is a solid combo proven to make power, avoid the letter cams like the plague(303 e, x, etc) a turbo guy gained around 40 hp just by switching back to a stock cam from an e.

abustiffy

Apr 13, 2005
in a house
t70 .70 p trim exhaust is a great turbo for a 5.0. That is what we use on our kits. Instant spoolup and more than enough airflow to crack a block. On a 347 (5.7) one of our customers put down 625hp 589tq to the wheels at 9 psi. His tranny didn't fair so well, as he destroyed it lastnight.

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
supradan22 said:
Please takes lots of pics of the motor mounts installement

there will be a complete write up with engine specs and dyno'd before turbo and after with a complete list of parts and prices and a complete set of pics for everything

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Like someone else said, just make it clean and post all info you can. I hear ya on the kids too, my 8 year old, who knows more about cars than any 8 year old should worships my Supra because its a Supra. When I dump the clutch and light'em up, the look on his face is worth a million bucks, and he don't care what motor is spinning the tires! Good luck with the swap.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Forget turbocharging it, go with a supercharger. It won't cost near as much because they can be bought off the shelf & and there will be little if any custom fab work required. On top of that, there is no lag time.

abustiffy

Apr 13, 2005
in a house
rakkasan said:
Forget turbocharging it, go with a supercharger. It won't cost near as much because they can be bought off the shelf & and there will be little if any custom fab work required. On top of that, there is no lag time.

The lag thing is a misconception. a properly sized turbo will have a torque peak sooner and a less linear but broader powerband. I do agree on the fab part though. Just like the swap, it all depends on your resources and skill level.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
hehhehe od my buddie has 85 toy pickup wiht 5.0 in it and tiwn trubo as well but you knwo what he;s gone throught about 3 set of gastet so far in like 4 mouths of driven it

boost kills hg's

and greeed as well 5.0 will tka ebaout 400 ish hp befo they are not trusted (na power)

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
NashMan said:
hehhehe od my buddie has 85 toy pickup wiht 5.0 in it and tiwn trubo as well but you knwo what he;s gone throught about 3 set of gastet so far in like 4 mouths of driven it

boost kills hg's

and greeed as well 5.0 will tka ebaout 400 ish hp befo they are not trusted (na power)

I have to disagree. I ran a vortex sc at well over 600hp without many problems at all. I bent a rod, which caused a cracked piston, but I should have known better. After replacing the rods & a piston, no major problems at all. Regardless of what some posted in this thread, the 5.0 is a tough motor.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
NashMan said:

boost kills hg's

Agreed. The guy that lives in the downstairs apartment has a 5.0 Mustang. He blows twice as many HG's as any 7M owner I know.

His car is for sale BTW. Fully built motor with fresh everything (incl. HG's), TKO trans, Moser rear and a bunch of other stuff. $4k negotiable. It'd be cheaper (and a hell of alot easier) than putting a 5.0 in a Supra.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
yup they don't like boost much the bottom end will take it certon point and they will pop a gasket here and there ps turbo push more cfm then sc will do any day

302 are kidna waste of time 350 chev is the only way to go

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
NashMan said:
yup they don't like boost much the bottom end will take it certon point and they will pop a gasket here and there ps turbo push more cfm then sc will do any day

302 are kidna waste of time 350 chev is the only way to go

Agreed if your gonna waste a supra on domestic motor swap migh as well make it good, i would do a 350 chevy swap.If your really feeling froggy make it a 383 stroker motor.Ive never heard of a stroker 350 in a mk3 now that would be absoultly sick............... :aigo: