5.0 supra its a comin

RedTurbo

Thank you, SM and CS.com!
Apr 3, 2005
Nashville,TN
IMO there is a reason that the term "ricer" is applied to some modified vehicles and not to others, there are just some modifications that shouldn't be made to some cars. I belive that there is a reason people make fun of the Civics with the aluminum spoilers and not the track or drift cars. I'm not the kind of person to crush someones dream though. As far as owning a Supra and hate everything else that is not true. I have owned 2 Honda Accords and I love to drive my friends modified Civics and Integras. As far as the flaming that has occured, you were naive if you though you could post about a Domestic motor in a Japanese vehicle and not get negative feedback. You put yourself right in the middle of the age old Import vs. Domestic clash. And to the guy who made fun of the kids age, age doesn't determine knowledge I'm 17 and my father learns as much from me as I learn from him. Anyway good luck with whatever you decide. :icon_bigg

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
not naive and i have decide to do a 1JZ swap and i am not new to online forums or Flaming so its no skin off my back and just to clear up why i am doing a 1jz swap is the Ford transmission is to large to fit the tunnel as well as the 302 will only make 450HP on boost before the block becomes unstable plus as a benefit i now have a relieble DD

A

abitdone

I have been driving my chevy converted supra around for a couple of weeks now and everything is working great including the gearbox and hi-lux/ chevy hybrid clutch. It has been a lot of fun. looking forward to getting it on the track. Here are some photo's
p76505_1.jpg

p76505_2.jpg

p76505_3.jpg

p76505_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Slow Poopra 7MGTE

dont let esc see that he will cry about it, but it would just be coming from d-bag who preaches about the supra and hangs out on the forum after selling his big winged pos(that he also use to cry about when people made fun of him) for a german peice of garbage

as for other things, that car looks like it was put together really well, did you do all of that, how much power? ever ran it?

LJM61

May 2, 2005
Cayuga, Ontario. Canada
SACRILAGE!!!

It sould at least be a Toyota or Lexus V8!

Do yourself a big favor!
Sell your Supra to someone who loves it and buy yourself a complete working Cougie and be done with it.

Last edited:
S

Slow Poopra 7MGTE

get off his dick its his car, theres way to many preaching cry babys here :wtc: :bigun2:

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
although now a bad idea, but one problem is that it wont fit due to clearance issues due to the fact that the oil pan will not clear the sub frame being that you have to use a front sump or a double sump cause of the oil pump being in the front of the motor. you could only do a Ford motor if you run a dry sump oil system. I speek from first hand knowledge from attempting that exact swap for a guy about 2 years ago. The only feasable easy american V8 swap would be a SBC. I am not putting the american V8 swap down, but without spending an assload of money you are not going to build a good high HP reliable ameriacn V8 the only advantage to it would be avalibility of parts. If you want high HP and reliablity, go with a 1J or 2J motor or if you want to be somewhat different, you could also do as others have stated and as I am in the process of doing myself is a Toyota/Lexus V8 swap. No matter what you choice may be, good luck with it.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
Rear sumping a 5.0 is not a big deal. I know off-hand that Milodon(sp) makes a rear only sump pan (7qt). These are used by guys that swap 302s into their Z's. I have never done a fitment mock-up, just adding that their are rear sump options...

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
bwest said:
Rear sumping a 5.0 is not a big deal. I know off-hand that Milodon(sp) makes a rear only sump pan (7qt). These are used by guys that swap 302s into their Z's. I have never done a fitment mock-up, just adding that their are rear sump options...

yes but the front section is still way to deep due to the fact that the oil pump sticks down off of the bottom in the front just as ours does in the middle and a SBC does in the rear.

A

abitdone

thanks for the comments guys. Here in the u.k. we don't have many v8 cars, so the noise is a big attraction to the swap. Over here to get serious power from a jap car cost's a fortune, so buying chevy stuff from summit racing is a very cheap way of getting some more power. The car is about 400 bhp and 400ftlbs of torque + some more with a nos cheater kit. you could do the swap in a week easy. Its loud and my neighbours hate me. There is a down side. petrol is £4.50 a gallon which is about $8.
has been fun though. btw the head lights are motorbike ones .

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I do not understand why people knock the V8 conversion ideas. Personally, I plan on a ~430hp LS1/LS6 in my Supra in the next year. Fact is, the LS1 is lighter than the 7M with the turbo and intercooler. The LS1 is also a 5.7L V8, much better low-end torque and throttle response. And for my purposes, which are not drag racing but racer road racing, it will give a flatter, more stable power curve.

I have driven and ridden in forced induced cars and N/A cars. I have come to the realization that N/A engines are more desireable due to the throttle response and power curves. Best way to gain power out of an N/A engine is the increase displacement. So a lighter, larger N/A motor is definitly superior to the 7M.

To everyone who says it ain't a Supra with a V8 in it, then technically you are absolutely wrong. VIN still shows it to be a Supra. People tell me I should just buy a Camaro... But I like the Supra's suspension setup and body style. Not to mention when compared to the Camaro it, it has a smaller wheel base.

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
mcpcola said:
not naive and i have decide to do a 1JZ swap and i am not new to online forums or Flaming so its no skin off my back and just to clear up why i am doing a 1jz swap is the Ford transmission is to large to fit the tunnel as well as the 302 will only make 450HP on boost before the block becomes unstable plus as a benefit i now have a relieble DD

I think an easier swap would be a Mopar 360. Relatively cheap to build and get parts for and it's simple to hook up to an R154 with a Dakota V6 bellhousing. Found this jewell in a boneyard last week.

Greg

Attachments

• 240Z_V8_11.JPG
    240Z_V8_11.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 240Z_V8_21.JPG
    240Z_V8_21.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 21
S

Slow Poopra 7MGTE

thats a good find, 360 in a datsun, i wonder why that was thrown away...

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
Oh, don't let me forget the under rated AMC 401 V8. That thing will make 450hp real easy with a good set of heads and intake. Easy to hook up to the supra trannies too. If you've got an automatic, use the bellhousing from a Jeep Cherokee AW4 4.0L. If you've got an R154, use the bell from a 4.0 YJ 5-speed. Easy peasie.... :biglaugh:

Greg

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Did you guys know Im blind?

Holy S**t, I just realized who the thread starter is, lol... MCP'cola, when you do this, let me know, I'll come over and help ya if I have the time... *McP'cola lives a town over from me* So yeah, this should be sweet to see...